SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipso View Post
I'm so happy I can't get in so some AFK entertainer can sit and occupy space.....next to the 10 other AFK entertainers in Mos Eisley.

Check IRC #status channel.

Server cap is not why you can't log in.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calipso View Post
I'm so happy I can't get in so some AFK entertainer can sit and occupy space.....next to the 10 other AFK entertainers in Mos Eisley.
I've heard that Miss Conception is rather fertile these days.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:44 PM

Wow, such aggressive opinions in posts where I see no donation awards.

"I think we should kick players who are <...doing something different than I am> and using <...a pre-CU game mechanic> to do <...what those roles did in pre-CU> and how dare they ask for my credits <...when I have gone to their place of business to receive a service from them> when I have done so much for the game by killing mission lairs (and it was hard work!). By golly kick all those obnoxious players so I can get more of my friends on.

Umm... right. Ok. We'll get right on that. Do you want fries with that?

Sheesh.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 AM

well

Everytime I click the irc option it makes my explorer crash whats up?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 AM

think the whole reason people get annoyed with afkers is simply because of a cap only so many can be on. When they are on they see afk ents all over the place and afk people standing middle of no where so on. if every one got on there would probably be less of a issue but most likley still one as there is always some problem with afkers. no easy fix end of the day. those that dont afk grind see it as a waste and a pain. those that afk grind see it as testing server or doing things that would be boring as hell if they were there all the time. does seem to kick most people after a period of time and i assume afkers are similar.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katteni View Post
think the whole reason people get annoyed with afkers is simply because of a cap only so many can be on. When they are on they see afk ents all over the place and afk people standing middle of no where so on. if every one got on there would probably be less of a issue but most likley still one as there is always some problem with afkers. no easy fix end of the day. those that dont afk grind see it as a waste and a pain. those that afk grind see it as testing server or doing things that would be boring as hell if they were there all the time. does seem to kick most people after a period of time and i assume afkers are similar.
Well that's where the comment about it being a misconception comes from. People get on, see afk ents/people "standing in the middle of nowhere" and immediately assume that those people specifically are the reason it took them a while to get on, as though removing them would change the playing field. Part of the reason this is such a misconception is because there's really no proof that these people are AFK in the first place; as has been noted in the thread that devolved into a discussion of AFK entertainers, not all entertainers who put AFK status are "completely" AFK; they're usually switching windows and whatnot. Likewise, crafters, especially busy high-level crafters who have businesses, could put up AFK status so that can conduct some things without being flooded by tells (personally I put AFK status on one of my toons if I have two online, but I still check in on both frequently). Not that this is the case with every AFK player, but heck, sometimes a player could just be AFK for a few minutes and so they put AFK status up. This is still a TC after all (no I'm not going to say "it's free, blah blah, etc., etc.") and because of that many play on multiple alts, making AFK status more common if these people want to ever complete their templates.

TL;DR version: There's no guarantee, or even any reasonable reason to think, that "booting" these AFK people would make login time shorter; if a bunch of people leave a place and a few people get past a que, who's to say that the que will actually shorten significantly. Especially when the cap is already at 2, meaning that the absolute most multi-toons could be on is double the amount of people online and that's if every single player has two toons online. Note that I'm not going after you.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 AM

well atm it doesnt help there is a dealock. check irc to see. and i think like 200 odd spots open and 272 (this is from checking on irc on server updates) sitting there so most would be trying to get on. but hey like i said people just see afk and assume "that persons been there for hours afk..... blah blah blah".
Old 10-23-2009, 01:02 AM

i want to propose something here....

I know the most people go afk are the ents, sample(artisans), or combat in a respawn mob....

I agree with other posters to make a time limit...More like 30 mins so we all have a chance to log in and play and find bugs with our professions we are grinding!
Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 AM

There's several problems with AFK.

1) They take up slots where real people can be doing real testing.

2) How can you test if you are AFK?!

If it was live or they were paying for it, sure it's their time/their money they should do what they want. I was under the impression this is a Test Center, so shouldn't they be Testing?

A lot of people it seems are here to play and not test. I try to do a little of both. I'm not a Dev or anyone important, so my opinion doesn't mean much I guess.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:50 AM

Settle down, guys. I don't like it any more than you do but if AFKing were banned I would be able to count the number of musicians, dancers, weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, tailors and chefs on one hand. Like it or not it's probably not going to go away any time soon. That's not to say every major city needs a dozen buffbots going 24/7 but AFKing some things is simply unavoidable at this point. I know it's annoying but SWGEmu isn't even in beta yet and things are a little more time consuming now that we're not all just hanging out around the Gungans in Theed.

Oh, and to answer this before it's asked: No, Gungans wouldn't magically make everything better. They might lower the AFKers but they would effectively eliminate most of the actual testing being done in the process. I know it's human nature to blame others but sometimes you need to just accept reality.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 AM

Max Users

I was wondering if the MAX User count has been lowered now as
I have tried several times to get on when the server was UP and
could never get past "Connecting to Galaxy". I have also seen this:

Server Report For: nova - core3 tc
Users Connected: 513
Max Users: 523
Last Checked: 12:56:56 pm
October 23, 2009

Have we lowered MAX Users now?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:04 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I was wondering if the MAX User count has been lowered now as
I have tried several times to get on when the server was UP and
could never get past "Connecting to Galaxy". I have also seen this:

Server Report For: nova - core3 tc
Users Connected: 513
Max Users: 523
Last Checked: 12:56:56 pm
October 23, 2009

Have we lowered MAX Users now?
If that info is not from IRC its not correct.

Server cap still is between 800 and 1000 instances logged.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 10-23-2009, 01:04 PM

You will see fewer AFK crafters once they get to where they can use harvesters. It can be a little annoying I agree,but no one wants to sit and watch their toon sample for hours in some remote location.

That's at least the case with me.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
If that info is not from IRC its not correct.

Server cap still is between 800 and 1000 instances logged.
It is normally, but I think (Ultyma said something along those lines) server cap defaults to 500, so 2 hours ago, when it was restarted, nobody raised to 900 manually...
Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Good news everyone. I have an idea, a crazy idea,but idea it is! how about writing a scrypt to disconect people who are afk longer then 20 min. because there are alot of people in cantinas (not entertainers but u could kick them too) and in the wildernes that just sit afk (some are spreading green fog dont know what that it is im new here)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: