SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:34 AM

you could end all those speculations by just listing the donation publicly. In fact, that is the purpose of publicly listing them, so speculations like that don't happen.

Quote:
I wish I could say to the team, Hey guys, we got $1000 donations this month, the server is $200 and other costs bring it to like $250. So theres $750 to split between us to go buy some beers.
watch what you say Ultyma. I know you don't mean it to sound this way but this statement has a twisted allusion. It's not the kind of thing you say, even jokingly.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:48 AM

Hmm...So sad.

I once made a topic called "Support to emu" or something similar.
But the topic got deleted, because folks thought I was scamming people.
So, I'm telling the same story again:

If you don't have any money and you still want to support the emu, I have a solution. All you need to do is to download one toolbar(made by me) and use it. It is so simple.
And now you ask: How this gets money to emu?
Here is the answer: I get money when people uses my toolbar. Every search they make. That is not much/person, but if 2500 users would download it and make 200 searches/day (what takes less than 20 minutes) it would generate ca. $2000/month. And then I would donate most of it to the emu.

You may think this is scam, but what do you have to lose? Exept SWGEmu, if you don't donate or use my toolbar.

I have seen many users who say: "I would like to support the emu, but I don't have any money to donate."
So here is a way to help emu, without using your own money.

So here is question for Devs: Can I post link to my toolbar to let people download it?

Ps. If you don't believe I'm gonna donate most of the money to you, you can ban my account and do whatever you like. That serious I am.
What do you have to lose?

Merry Xmas to all. And lets hope Emu gets enough donates that devs don't have to pay fees for them own money. Cause thats not fair...

-SWGEmu code-

There is only one good thing in NGE; That's why the Emu project started.[Or was it started after CU? Can't really remember...]
Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 AM

asking strangers to believe you is a classic scam roger.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Developer
DeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biophilia View Post
watch what you say Ultyma. I know you don't mean it to sound this way but this statement has a twisted allusion. It's not the kind of thing you say, even jokingly.
Well, The first time we opened up donations back when Joker was still here, we saved enough for 4 months of the dedi, and then we each took $100. (There was like 4 or 5 of us, it's been awhile). We then used that money (Well at least I did) to buy PC parts to upgrade our computers so we could develop faster.

That's the only time anyone has ever taken anything out of the donations.

*shrug*
Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Developer
DeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunZU View Post
Dear Ultyma,

You shouldn't get mad or take it personal, people just want to see something from you guys in exchange for their money. At one point you were all developing for the love of the game, now you're coming on here requesting money to continue for it's very existence? What makes matters worse is that anytime someone asks for a deadline, you ban them or lock them out from the site. I ask you this, if you were me and you were seeing this, would that encourage you to open up your wallet?

Look, I'm not saying you guys are scamming us, I'm simply saying that you should be more transparent with the project. Explain to folks in detail what it costs to keep things going i.e. server costs etc. and please give folks a realistic timetable even if that's 10 years from now.

You will prob. delete this post and or ban me but whatever, I had to speak my mind.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

We aren't requesting money to continue developing.

We can continue developing without the test center.

But how do you expect to efficiently test an MMO server as complex as SWG with 500+ users on a 5mbit home cable connection?

Without the test center, things don't get fixed because there's no way to test things correctly.

And we've told people how much the server costs are 10 hundred trillion billion times. Do some research before posting a smartass reply like that.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
asking strangers to believe you is a classic scam roger.
Exept in this case it is not a scam. But I don't force you to believe me...

-SWGEmu code-

There is only one good thing in NGE; That's why the Emu project started.[Or was it started after CU? Can't really remember...]
Old 12-19-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultyma View Post
Well, The first time we opened up donations back when Joker was still here, we saved enough for 4 months of the dedi, and then we each took $100. (There was like 4 or 5 of us, it's been awhile). We then used that money (Well at least I did) to buy PC parts to upgrade our computers so we could develop faster.

That's the only time anyone has ever taken anything out of the donations.

*shrug*
asking strangers to believe you is a classic scam ultyma

just post the donations. And then add some detail to your spendings. As another person in this thread referred to, there should be transparency when it comes to donations.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Exept in this case it is not a scam. But I don't force you to believe me...
not saying there's no chance your intentions are good, only that asking strangers to believe you is a classic scam. Try to find some way for the money to be auto transferred by a third party.

Last edited by Biophilia; 12-19-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:19 AM

All the people that say they cannot afford it... common... almost everyone in the western world is able to donate like 5 dollar. 5 dollar is 2 freaking beers at the pub. So put up or shut up.

Donated 10 dollars and do not expect anything in return but I would appreciate a bit more updates on the progress.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Developer
DeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
asking strangers to believe you is a classic scam ultyma

just post the donations. And then add some detail to your spendings. As another person in this thread referred to, there should be transparency when it comes to donations.

Add some detail to the spendings?

Are you freaking blind? WE SPEND THE SAME MONEY EVERY MONTH. IT'S BEEN THE SAME FOR THE LAST YEAR.

If you don't like to donate then don't donate. It's called DONATE for a reason.

When the little girl guides come to your house to sell cookies do you ask them for DNA scans, fingerprint scans, retina scans, and a detailed log on their entire history in the girl guides including all of the badges that they have earned? No.

I don't feel like going through 5 billion transaction logs and removing peoples name's from them. Contrary to popular belief, people don't want their names posted on the interwebs.

So again, if you don't like it, you don't have to be here.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 AM

$10

Merry Xmas. I will donate when I get a job. (really wish I didn't lose my buisness)
Old 12-19-2007, 09:57 AM

as an old member of the greatest german guild in swg europe chimaera
i would like to say that i cant use this donation thing from the swgemu site.
transfering money from an german bank to an american or what ever in the world isnt that easy and so there is a need of the bank information where to pay the money.
otherway i could send 1€(1.43$ atm and still getting more:P )
i realy would like to help keeping this all up because i loved swg so when everyone just donate 1buck a month i think that would help a bit.

Cerasus Thc {ANG}
MBH,MCarb
Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Seaseman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunZU View Post
Dear Ultyma,

You shouldn't get mad or take it personal, people just want to see something from you guys in exchange for their money. At one point you were all developing for the love of the game, now you're coming on here requesting money to continue for it's very existence? What makes matters worse is that anytime someone asks for a deadline, you ban them or lock them out from the site. I ask you this, if you were me and you were seeing this, would that encourage you to open up your wallet?

Look, I'm not saying you guys are scamming us, I'm simply saying that you should be more transparent with the project. Explain to folks in detail what it costs to keep things going i.e. server costs etc. and please give folks a realistic timetable even if that's 10 years from now.

You will prob. delete this post and or ban me but whatever, I had to speak my mind.

Merry Christmas to all of you.
Dear SunZu, I'm not sure if you even read Ultyma's post. But, running this project costs MONEY. Just like things in the real world do. This isn't SunZu's happy fantasy land. Test Center, Our website, IRC all cost money to run. It wasn't a threat to you that we were shutting down, we would keep this going for as long as possible, but considering none of us are superrich and we have 30,000 members and have sustained this project for 3+ years it is getting a little pricy.

Once again, it wasn't a threat. It's reality. Things cost money. Believe me, we didn't want to post this thread because of people like you/posts like yours. We've explained the server costs -- Test Center is $200/month. Website is around $30 a month, IRC is $10, and very soon we'll run out of space on Assembla and be forced to pay another $30 a month.

This stuff isn't cheap. We're just asking for a little help with it all. No one is forcing you to donate, no one is threatening anything. We are just telling you the reality of this all. I certainly wish that it wasn't necessary, but us being called thieves, scammers, etc really gets under my skin. So if you have the need to call us it feel free to do it somewhere else, this really, really isn't the place.

This is the last argumentative post that will be here. Like i said, this isn't the place to post your little conspiracy theories regarding swgemu. If you don't want to donate then don't. That's fine, as ultyma said, that's why it is called a donation. We aren't demanding payment. I've said it before, we're fine paying as much as we can out of our own pockets, but we won't be able to do that forever.

Thanks again to all who have donated -- If you feel the need to flame us or whatever in here, be warned you're wasting your time. I'm just going to delete it.

@biophilia - You're starting to run dry man. If you don't feel safe donating to us that is fine. Don't. Quit filling up this thread with nonsense.

Last edited by Seaseme; 12-19-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:36 AM

First you said:

Quote:
It upsets me when people think we get $10,000 a month.
Then you said:

Quote:
I don't feel like going through 5 billion transaction logs and removing peoples name's from them.
If you were actually getting 5 billion transactions, you guys would be doing a hellova lot better than a measly 10k

To the other people who want full disclosure of the books, guys please. It's called a donation for a reason. When I send my check to the National MS society every year, I don't ask for disclosure. I support their cause in the one way I can, just as I do here, and then I let them do their jobs.

If you don't trust where the money is going, or if you don't trust what it's being used for... don't donate. They've given you a brief list of their monthly bills, if you want to help with those bills... then donate.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Seaseman
Administrator

Quote:
seaseme, your spraticnet server has a publicly viewable donation list system on it's front page. So why aren't you doing the same thing here? Why don't you want to? And ultyma, I know other servers have set it up so the person that donates has the option of being listed anonymously (that might be how it works with spraticnet, not sure).

I should add that using donations to upgrade personal computers could easily be embezzlement. You mind as well say you use donation to buy food cause you need energy to be able to develop. You might have really needed upgrades for development but splitting up the money in equal shares gives me reason that it was used for personal gain since there was little chance you needed equal upgrades. You should have given every detail to the public.

That is a custom script as far as I know. I've already contacted Kitek this morning. If he can give it to me then I will be happy to put it up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: