Notices

Announcements Major Project Announcements

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Euro-Chimaera Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biophilia View Post
legitimate multiple accounts should be labeled as such in-game so that other players can see. And the notation should link those that come from the same household/computer. This would discourage illegitimately acquired "legitimate" accounts. It's one thing to fool the admin with an email, it's another to fool friends and guildmates.

the location of the label doesn't have to be obvious, it could be hidden on the bio page or something, but players will see it and naturally ask who else they share "account-space" with.

it's a simulation game. A player driven account monitoring system would fit nicely :P It wont be 100% effective but I think once set up would provide much more security for little management effort.
I like this idea. Part of the 'authenticity' process should also list the character's forum username so that players can know exactly who they are dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djolovicl View Post
Will you just please let it go, PLEASE PLEASE...
I smell a conspiracy...

Or a trap.

Euro-Chimaera is Europe's Premier SWG Pre-CU Server Community
Also check out GalaxiesBook (for all your Pre-CU info) and TrueGalaxies (The US's Premier Server)

zadokk@euro-chimaera.co.uk | euro-chimaera.co.uk
Old 04-11-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat5560 View Post
I have a wireless router and 5 computers in my house that are connected to it. Three are directly plugged in and 2 are laptops that connect wireless. I also have 3 people in the house that play SWG and 3 who do not. If I'm in my bedroom playing and it gets late and my wife wants to sleep, are you saying that I cannot log off and switch to the computer in my office which may have been used to create my son's account?
Seems a lot of people here don't understand the basic issue.

The Devs want it to be 1 Account per person. You can have as many characters as they allow you to have on that 1 account. Also every other person in your house can have their own account. This is why they are saying to mail them, so they dont ban people who genuinely share computers or internet connections.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadokk View Post

i smell a conspiracy...

Or a trap.
"it's a trap!!"

oh and thanks for answering my question Ekaika.

Last edited by Travis8908; 04-11-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
I simply asked what it was that screenshot was trying to show. If you want to be an ******* thats your problem not mine.
Now, that's not nice, is it?

Just because you ask stupid questions, and people disagree with you it does not give you the right to be rude.
You asked your silly questions, you got your answers. I'm sorry you didn't like them.

Then i asked you to stop:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djolovicl View Post
Will you just please let it go, PLEASE PLEASE...
That's what turned your attention to me?

(This is the real cause of your frustration, is it not?)

P.S. I'm sorry you you didn't win Nedak's JOTY, but there is always next time

ON TOPIC:

I was going to suggest maybe a part of application form i which will enable them to explain their need for multiple accounts, that would be directly mailed to Phantom, but then i realized that would probably create more problems. But this will work, i hope

EDIT: I'm not going to waist any more time or space in this thread with another post.

Did Jat just get a second account?

Xaat=jat5560

Or has a member of a Jat household get one?

Its all so familiar...

Last edited by djolovicl; 04-12-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:44 AM

Why are you calling his questions silly and stupid? They are perfectly valid questions and I agree that you are just being rude.

The situation is this single account policy is creating a huge amount of work to enforce, when in the end there's really nothing to stop someone from lying their way around the policy. This is a valid problem that needs to be addressed and dismissing it as stupid doesn't make the issue go away.

I'm not here to tell you your policies are wrong, just that when you ask people to come and test things and then ignore them when they point out flaws you are missing out on a chance to make a real improvement.

My opinion is that the account policy is a good thing, even with its flaws. Sure, some guy could lie and say his little brother wants to play and then he's running around dual boxing, but if he gets caught with two toons in game that are obviously not controlled by two people he can be punished. Also with a totally hands off policy what would stop someone from having ten accounts, or twenty? That extra layer of approval is making a lot of work for the admins, but it makes it harder for people to do completely unreasonable things like running around with ten rifleman that all shoot together.

Edit: PS, one more thing I'd like to say here, I totally agree with the other sentiments in this thread about sharing some of the policing responsibility with the players. The admins have a whole lot to look at and it might be possible to slip under the radar, but imagine if you had to hide from the whole server population! Not going to happen!

Last edited by Xaat; 04-12-2009 at 05:58 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 04-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Retired GM

Not even sure why I read all that. Towards the end it was just going in circles. I'm guessing this thread'll be closed soon, cause it no longer seems to be serving any purpose. The fact is, the use of multiple accounts is a problem that can lead to unfair advantages, unnecessary grief, and most likely large amounts of confusion. The staff is taking what it feels is the best course of action to prevent this problem. As Ekaika said, if you have some fantastic idea to better remedy this, by all means tell us. But otherwise, I'd hardly call most of this criticism constructive.

<B learningdisease
Old 04-12-2009, 07:27 AM

I don't even type like that guy and you could just look at the IP addresses... you guys are awfully touchy. Sheesh, sorry for trying to contribute.

Edit: PS (I do this edit: ps thing alot, bad habit of mine to re-read my posts and come up with more thoughts after the fact) djolovicl did you read the bulk of my post where I supported the single account policy? I wasn't trying to attack you... I'm just honest. I think as a representative of the community you shouldn't be so dismissive to people who offer criticism. One hundred people who blindly agree will not get you as much value as one person with the guts to disagree, even if you disagree with the disagreement. Isn't that the point of having forums, to discuss things and explore every angle?

The way I see it Jat was saying you could save a lot of time by dropping the account policy since people will try to get around it, and people who do cheat the system will have an advantage over those who don't. I think he's right, but I still think the one account policy is better than letting everyone have as many accounts as they want, so I said so and why.

Anyway it seems from the reaction I'm getting that nobody wants my opinions in this thread, so this will be my last post. I'll just lurk and keep my big mouth shut while I wait for the devs to get things done, I trust them to do the right thing and I really appreciate their hard work. SWG when it was new was the best MMO experience I've ever had and just thinking about a chance to re-live those days has me all tingly. Good luck and thank you to everyone involved.

Last edited by Xaat; 04-12-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_one View Post
Seems a lot of people here don't understand the basic issue.

The Devs want it to be 1 Account per person. You can have as many characters as they allow you to have on that 1 account. Also every other person in your house can have their own account. This is why they are saying to mail them, so they dont ban people who genuinely share computers or internet connections.
And, once again, what keeps people from just lieing? It cannot be policed, so why even try? It's like the drug war!

@xaat Great post man, and don't let these trolls get to you. You have proven that a lot of members never post because they don't want to be attacked.

@dj no, xaat and me are two different people, and I dont even know him. You are the one that posted a screenshot, and all i did was ask you about it.

Last edited by jat5560; 04-12-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaat View Post
I don't even type like that guy and you could just look at the IP addresses... you guys are awfully touchy. Sheesh, sorry for trying to contribute.
This.

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music...
If you're part of the 2% that stayed with Metal, put this in your signature. :P +1

SWG Retired Veteran
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
And, once again, what keeps people from just lieing? It cannot be policed, so why even try? It's like the drug war!
that's not true. A more accurate statement would be that there is no 100% effective system, but it can definitely be policed.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 PM
SWGEmu Support Helper

God, you people are annoying.

Does it really matter? Let them do what they want, ffs.

Need help? /Join #swgemusupport
Old 04-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Retired Community Deputy Director

I agree. Why do you care. To correct some points.. it is no longer a lot of work to police, as we've automated most of it. In addition, your point of toons on TC is incorrect, as our CSR's check that. Phantom and myself are simply addressing the problem at this level in an attempt to prevent it from making it to TC. Should that happen, we have many people fully capable of researching and taking action.

While I appreciate your concern for my workload, I assure you we've got it under control. I do not see how this ties into new people being attacked.

Last edited by Ekaika; 04-12-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-12-2009, 04:45 PM

Why do people need more than one account, you can "multi-box" fine with just one. I mean really, it's not rocket science. Is it?
Old 04-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Retired Moderator

Here's an idea:

Once someone makes an account, ban their information that you've been taking in as how you determine multiple accounts from the Register area of the fourms.

Making it impossible for them to register at the same place, right?

Retired Moderator after 5 Years of Service.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 AM

Multiple Accounts

MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS ARE NOT PERMITTED. - Ok, I get it. Now.

When I first joined I didn't know how it worked, and I thought I had to make an account for each character I wanted to try (I had 7 live accounts on Retail Bria). When I found I could a)respec instantly b)multibox on the same account, which it says in here is ok then I stopped logging in using all the other accounts. I only use one to log in now and never the others. I asked the devs in game if they wanted to delete my old accounts and was told they didnt do that. So I don't use them.

I don't understand why this thread became so much of a train wreck, though. It's a test server, if people are hacking and exploiting, ban them, whatever. If they are simply pointing out something thats not working or which people don't understand, crikey they're trying to Help You! Listen to them!

My 2c is I have four simple points - not criticisms, just things I don't understand.
1) I keep reading multis will get banned, but I cannot see what to do if I already made two accounts and I want one deleted. I'm scared to log in on my main in case all my work gets banned now.
2) This thread says that having multi accounts gives unfair advantage, but people are legally logging 3 or 4 characters on at once and buffing themselves, sampling, getting the free 200k credits more than once, etc so I don't see why someone else with 2 accounts with one char logged on each has an "advantage" over my 4 toons on one account all sampling overnight... doesn't compute.
3) Unfair Advantage? On a test server? Well, we're testing, and its not like people couldn't do it on retail and we're all gonna get wiped over and over so why would anyone care?
4 The obvious anti-multi thing is, if I tried to hack or cussed out a GM ingame and got banned, then used another account to carry on.. bad! So just ban peoples IP if they really annoy you and it don't matter how many accounts they used to have. QED.

But, people, don't argue with the developers on this issue, just be constructive, and listen to them and don't make a second account if you already have one. Hopefully one day I will see how to delete my old accounts but I am not using them, I only use one account in game now, and thats all I need anyway so theres no issues.

Take Care, we're all friends here, rememeber?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: