SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Bi-Weekly Updates

Notices

Bi-Weekly Updates Bi-Weekly Updates are SWGEmu's cornerstone updates, posted every two weeks.

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 AM
Communications Director (On Leave)
CommunicationsManagerAdministrator

Bi-Weekly Update for 3/30/09

1) Update Overview (TOC):
  • Profession Representative Program Update
  • Events! An insight from the new Event Team
  • Quality Assurance - the Here and Now
  • Character Naming Changes
  • New Website and SWGEmu Accounts
  • Bug Fixing Crackdown
  • Denver Server Healthy Again!
  • Entertainer and Image Designer
  • Your own house, coming soon to a planet near you!
2) Body:

Profession Representative Program Update
TAFirehawk

The Prof Reps have performed a great service to the SWGEmu and many have moved on to other, more specialized Staff positions. I would like to personally thank all of the current and former Prof Reps for helping the project and making the "work" very enjoyable.

With the continually evolving project there are times when major changes are required and this is one of those times. The Prof Rep Program will be moving under the Quality Assurance team with webbwbb as the Head of QA. This will bring two very similar teams together to better serve the SWGEmu in its current form.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Events! An insight from the new Event Team
Lunatec

Over the past few weeks we have run a bunch of events. Starting off with some hide-and-seek swoop giveaways with SWG and Star Wars trivia for clues. There was the Rescue Colonel Lunatec at the Emperor's retreat pvp/pve event and a couple old school Rebels vs Imperials pvp in Anchorhead and Bestine. All of these events have been followed by a wonderful Afterparty hosted by Ellayn and the Queens of the Clone Age at various locations, the last one having two little contests of "Inyri Says" emote contest, quite brilliant, if you ask me, and a Hawtpants competition. While we, the jr EC's and CSR's learn more skills and see what works and what doesn't, I think they are getting better and better. I have also added two threads in the Events forum for ideas and feedback from the community that I really hope get's used. The Ideas one has had some really great suggestions.

Quality Assurance - the Here and Now
Webbwbb

There have been some changes with the Quality Assurance team lately. Thrin stepped down as the department lead and Seaseme took over as the provisional leader. Since then, Seaseme has appointed me as the new leader and I have some exciting plans for things. I will continue with the idea that Thrin had to split the department into different teams. TAfirehawk will lead the Crafting team and will also lead QA in my stead if I am unavailable, Zanh will lead the Melee team, Smoki will lead the Ranged team, and Malthol will lead the World team.

We are also merging the Profession Representative team with Quality Assurance and are taking applications for new people on the team. If you are interested in joining our team, please visit http://swgemu.com/jobs and submit an application. We will review the application and get back to you if we want to conduct an interview. I would like to apologize to everyone who has submitted an application since March 8th. Due to a problem with our system all applications since that date did not process correctly. We have fixed this problem but must ask that you resubmit your application in full if you would still like to be considered for the job. Again, I am very sorry about this inconvenience and I look forward to seeing your applications :)

I think this would be a great opportunity to describe what we mean by 'Quality Assurance' since there can be a bit of confusion as to what exactly we do. QA is all about finding bugs and creating good bug reports so that the developers can find a solution to the problem. We also screen all player bug reports and make sure that things are detailed and reproducible. Our job is to ensure that a quality, bug-free product is eventually released. Hopefully this clears up a bit of the confusion that people have about this department.

With the new phase method for testing and development, all of the new members we will have joining our team, and the new Mantis bug tracking system things are really looking good for our team. I'm excited to be given the opportunity to help out the project in a larger capacity and to work with so many great people, in QA and in other teams as well as all of the great users who devote large amounts of their time to this project.

Character Naming Changes

This week, the character naming filter underwent some work. A few issues with character names have now been resolved, and it now matches the following specifications:
  • Firstname and surname must be at least 3 characters.
  • Firstname can be no more than 15 characters.
  • Surname can be no more than 20 characters.
  • Humans, Twi'leks firstname and surname can contain one apostrophe(') each.
  • Humans, Twi'leks, and Moncals firstname and surname can contain one hyphen(-) each.
  • Wookies may only have a firstname.
On an unreported note, names with the apostrophe and hyphen adjacent to each other are acceptable. Please report any bugs you find with the system. Thanks!

New Website and SWGEmu Accounts

_DM_ and his team @ wmcc.su finished v0.1 of the SWGEmu website. Over the past few weeks, content was filled in and it is now ready for use. The website will continue to be improved and added to indefinitely (Media/Video section, wiki, KB are planned). Please report any issues you encounter in the "Send Feedback" page. Note: There may be issues with browsers that are NOT on the Gecko layout engine (IE) - please crawl out from under the e-rock and get on a modern browser :p. Also if you have trouble logging in, try logging out then back in to the forums.

This launch also introduces the "SWGEmu Account" which is your global account that will be used on all SWGEmu services from here on out.
  • Existing & future swgemu forum users are synchronized automatically
  • TC: Nova & SunCrusher already/will use SWGEmu Accounts
  • BugTracker (mantis) integration pending
  • Community Core3 servers will not be affected
  • API for affiliated server providers is planned

Because the SWGEmu Account affects multiple services, we will be consulting our self-aware forum software more often on punishment procedures. Our services know when you register multiple forum accounts. Please. Stop. Records of multiple registrations are not purged and are tied to _every_single_account_you_make_ (past & future). PhantmLdr has done a great job of keeping tabs on offenders - stay on his good side.

Bug Fixing Crackdown

We've added a lot of features over the past few months and its about time everything is thoroughly tested. We do realize it is hard to sign onto the TC when there aren't new features. However, please keep in mind that we here to work and improve the project - not play around and duel in theed all day. These next few weeks will be dedicated to squashing old & new bugs from the bugtracker until we feel that we can proceed to add more features (housing, missions etc). This phase should carry us up to the "SunCrusher milestone" set for April 30th. But again, without constant numbers on the TC, we cannot build quality software.
Thanks for the excellent bug reports so far, it'll all be worth it in the end ;)

Bug Fixing Crackdown

After a long string of downtime, we're happy to say that the Nova TC is back in action and healthier than ever. Now running in 64bit with its high specifications, there should be minimal lag and no worries for everyone!
Note that there is a current nasty bug where creating a new character can disable your ability to play. View details here: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21292

Entertainer and Image Designer

Entertainer and Image Designer are back on the table yet again, and Anakis with the help of McMahon has been working hard to expand Band Florishes, and fix entertainer for good. He will also be beginning work on finalising image design, including all interface features, soon. Watch for those in the near future along with other improvements and expansions on the last leg of the Social professions.

Your own house, coming soon to a planet near you!

Ready?

You sure?

Alright, I guess you are ready for this.....

cRush is almost finished housing. Yes, that's right. Housing. Player housing. On TC. Very soon.
This is possibly the most exciting thing since crafting, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Just as many of the other systems needed for SunCrusher are being polished, we shall have player housing to play around with very soon. cRush's housing addition will include permissions, terminals, placement, lot usage, and basic management. Sadly object placement in houses is still not quite there, so dropping furniture will have to wait for just a little longer.
Get ready, get set and get scouting for that ultimate position now!
Phase Testing Results (This Week)

Reports Made: 218
Reports Resolved: 79
Most Popular Categories: Professions and Crafting

3) Developer Perspective ("Round Table"):

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRush
Real life has been cutting into more of my SWGEmu time than normal these past two weeks, and has slowed some of my progress. However, the upcoming weeks look to be pretty free, and I should be able to finally push some of my major changes out for phase testing.

This week, I was able to make some minor changes to the naming system, as well as make more progress towards my upcoming commits.

Coming to the table in the upcoming weeks will be:
  • Working with Max to perfect the new CSR tags which reflect the Pre-CU system and help to distinguish actual staff members from imposters.
  • Automatic staff privileges will be tied to forum accounts, eliminating accidental staff character creation by benign coincidence of character name choice.
  • Luaize all staff priveleges and command access levels.
  • Complete Deed Overhaul.
  • Installations/Structures will work much better as well as now having more options available such as structure permission lists.
  • Laying the groundwork to make it possible for Anakis to add in the dropping of nalargons and omniboxes in cantinas, and possibly outdoors.
Once this is complete, I will be working with kyle to finish up a new method of saving items to the database more efficiently, and then I aim to address the travel system.

Even further down the road, I have plans to work on Lairs and the Creature Spawning system all leading to what is needed to begin Creature Handler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfirehawk
My work schedule has had me out of town 10 out of the last 13 weeks (two more to go) so my time for the project has been limited in 2009. Thankfully I now have more time :) The Staff has been working on the Prof Rep transition to QA and now that it is nearly complete, I have made the move to QA Crafting Team Foreman. This better fits my schedule and I will still be involved in a wide range of things around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey
I've spent the last two weeks doing mostly project upkeep tasks.

The Internal Test Center which will be used by staff to test bugs more effectively before general consumption on Nova will launch soon. You should expect the # of server crashing bugs to drop to 0 if this is used effectively.

I spent a lot of time writing content for the website (esp. the swgemu section). Thanks to all the staff members that helped with this process. In the next few days I will fix the backed up copy of the SOE forums and experiment with various Media plugins that will provide seamless integration with the current site (currently looking @ Kaltura).

I am also looking to register SWGEmu as a Non Profit Organization. This is something we've wanted to do for quite some time (started w/ Serpentkaa & kyle) but never got around to actually doing it. Registering SWGEmu as an NPO would allow the project to have a recognizable presence to the rest of the world (growing out of the "underground" nature from our beginnings), manage finances better, and protect the volunteers that contribute to the project. If you know of anyone that has established an NPO in the past (esp. ones that operate online), please send them my way. Webbwbb has started a business recently so I'll be talking to him as well.

The last two weeks weren't exactly filled with tasks I do best, but I'm glad it's over. I will resume my milestone task, aid kyle in the conversion, and cleanup any bugs that have been assigned to my care (I have not forgotten them!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakis
Over the past couple weeks I have been learning the ins and outs of the Musician and Dancer system. The fruits of my labour are now starting to pay off as entertainer bug fixes have been rolling out over the past week, most of which are already on TC. Thank you very much to everyone who reported these bugs.

In the next couple weeks I will be continuing to fix entertainer bugs, as well as starting work on the /startband, /stopband, and /changeband commands. After that is complete, I will start on the /setperform and /denyservice commands. Once all the missing commands are in, I will be revisiting and tweaking the XP and buff formulas to be more accurate. Musicians will also be excited to hear talk about the Nalargon and Omnibox which are coming soon!

I require lots of information in my quest to improve Dancer/Musician. I can't code something if I don't know how it's supposed to work. I have compiled a list of questions that need answering! If you'd like to help out with the research (no coding experience necessary), please see my thread in the Entertainer section: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow'lin Tow
I've been busy the past few weeks and haven't really had an opportunity to get on TC:Nova and do events. I am, however, still accepting event ideas via email at towlin@swgemu.com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runny Runningwave
Hi guys! I have been busy planing an event that I feel pretty confident with and I feel you will be very happy with as well. Event Details: On april 3rd at 11PM CST. A GCW Event will take place in Dantooine At the abandoned Rebel base (at -6947 5614) The Rebels will be assigned a staff member as a commander, And they must protect the commander at all costs, If the commander is Dead. The imperials win. But there is a catch. If you die, There will be NO Respawn. You could either wait at the dantooine cities or you can go back to Theed for the After Party in the cantina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchJr
I have not had much time for the project over the last couple of weeks as I have been away.

I have been looking at the combat, creature code interfacing to try and sort out some of the annoying combat bugs and clean up the code. I will be continuing with this for the next few weeks until I feel that most of the problems have been solved.
4) Closing:

I hope you agree that the new SWGEmu website is crash hot. It will continue to grow as we do, and in version 2.0 we will introduce more features such as an allakazham style wiki database, and a fully integrated knowledge base.
Housing is also something which is extremely exciting and coming soon! cRush with the help of McMahon and TheAnswer have optimized much of the code and figured out new and innovative ways for the game systems to do as they do.

In language, the principle of appropriateness states that we choose different ways of speaking depending on our current place and time. Every day, we all cycle through dozens of different modes of communication; talking to your boss will be drastically different from the way you talk to your brother or girlfriend. However, sometimes lines are blurred and confusion is set loose.
We have to keep in mind that different people communicate in different ways; some are blunt, some quiet, some loud and some soft and affectionate. No one is right or wrong, no mode is superior to another. These put a face to our individuality, and allow us to define ourselves in a large and ambiguous society. What we must accept is that messages are open to interpretation. Nothing said is ever set in stone, and no message can be decoded directly as intended. To be careless with words is as dangerous as standing with a loaded gun. A gun can kill a body, but words can kill a spirit.
Someone who is extremely affectionate may just be nice, and someone who is blunt and sharp may just be clear headed and ambitious. We should not classify based on purely interpreted meaning, but rather take into consideration the message that is trying to be sent. Never assume that when a lady calls you honey and pats you on the back that she is inviting you into a relationship, just as you would not assume that someone who tells you that an idea is silly is looking for a fight.

April will prove to be a big month as we get ready for our SunCrusher milestone of April 30. We hope to achieve this, however as we all know things change. Stay tuned, and stay testing - it's the biggest thing we could ever need.

Have a great week.

--Team SWGEmu

www.swgemu.com | max@swgemu.com

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 AM

with houses coming soon can we assume architect will start to get things to craft? i have seen the heavy mineral harv in my crafting window teasing me and can't wait to see the components craftable to make some. houses will be fun too and of course one days cities i miss politician.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:15 AM

well said and thanks to all the people putting so much work into it.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 AM

Great stuff, as always.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 AM

as always, awesome update. looking forward to housing, architect, and, dare I say, possibly CH?

Last edited by Vlock; 03-31-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 AM
Quality Assurance Manager
ManagerQuality Assurance

Amazing update, well done all!

Xavia@swgemu.com | eSupport
Helpful Links | Status List & Reporting Bugs
SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source project.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:44 AM

Awesome update as always!! And loving the new site..

Can't wait to relive the old days on..
The PvP Server - The Place to be for PvP
Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 AM

Awesome update!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Retired GM

Beautiful, I especially can't wait for that housing. As always, keep up the fantastic work devs. :>

<B learningdisease
Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 AM

Great update guys! Can't wait for player housing to come back.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlock View Post
as always, awesome update. looking forward to housing, architect, and, dare I say, possibly CH?
Your signature picture is hilarious.

The update was kind of cool but somewhat underwhelming. As an outsider, it's more exciting to hear about substantive changes rather than management&website work, but then again you're not here to excite me.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 AM

I can't wait for housing Awesome update indeed.
Nov 17 20:47 cRush
committed#2643: [added] Creature Handlers can now tame Bio-engineered Jedi.

TG & EC Cooperation
With TG being the premier US based community and EC being the premier EU based community.
USA http://www.truegalaxies.com
Europe http://www.euro-chimaera.co.uk

Report all bugs here:
http://www.swgemu.com/support/index.php

Ingame name Birk

They That Are Them.
Guild <Hoods> The Dark Hoods
~▲~
'▲ ▲ Triforce.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:11 AM

what will be even better is when we can drop items in those houses. it may sound silly but i actually miss decorating my house.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 AM

Great job guys, keep it up
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Communications Director (On Leave)
CommunicationsManagerAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekowraith View Post
Your signature picture is hilarious.

The update was kind of cool but somewhat underwhelming. As an outsider, it's more exciting to hear about substantive changes rather than management&website work, but then again you're not here to excite me.
You've said that every update for the last 2 months.

Housing? Entertainer? buckets of bug fixes? news for devs on what they're working on? I don't really know what you want.
I could have regurgitated every changeset from the last 2 weeks, but honestly.... thats not all that much better. I think that if you're really interested in what's going on with the project and where we're headed, the bi-weekly is the best insight. You can read the day by day TC changes on the Launchpad, you don't need me to interpret them for you.

www.swgemu.com | max@swgemu.com

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: