SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hova View Post
I'll tell this from the point of view of someone who never posts, I log on this website to check if there are any updates then get off, probably alot of people are like this. I'd get on IRC if I had my computer at the moment but I'm using a different one.
Same here my computer atm is fed up so I have to use a mac and the person doesn't want me to put IRC on it. I'd get on IRC otherwise and I'd been playing SWGEmu and testing stuff out.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadec View Post
Nice, well I think half the problem is that whenever a new guy comes in and asks a question he gets the living poo flamed out of him. Do you really think that half the new people will read the sticked posts/threads/w.e...? ffs, i've seen some mods flame new people... that isn't very beneficial to the community either... just my two cents:mad:
This is the reason I don't post very much anymore, I'm tired of fighting for the new members everytime they get flamed, it just results in myself getting insulted for sticking up for new members. New members are bound to be ignorant of certain issues or ideas. Generally the mods have got much better since the old forums, but even a lot of the older members here flame new members to death, and there seems to be some concept for these people that they will win brownie points with the devs by flaming the newer more ignorant members. It may not be related to how the mods generally act now, but because of the past behaviour of the old mods, its really effected the community and the way they react to new members. Just my thoughts, I don't want to stir up trouble, I just think this is the fundamental problem your having with the community.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

No its not an excuse, read my post.

You are bashing him without suggesting reasons to improve on our end.

I checked out that Haiku project and essentially its just like what we have internally. That type of bug checking system really only works for code, not for research items. Im sure a general wiki of some sort would work better.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:23 PM

People shouldn't be bashing ultyma. Who can blame the guy for getting pissed off? If you were putting in huge amounts of time into a free project that you weren't getting **** for and people always *****ed and moaned, I'd get pissed too.

You have to remember he is making this happen. No matter how much people complain about him, without him the Dev team would suffer a huge if not crippling loss. The same can be said for Ramsey and Oru. These guys deserve the utmost respect.

To the devs- you are doing a great job. Don't let the little e-kiddies piss you off. If they have nothing better to do than go on the forums and flame you guys, feel sorry for them. They arent even worth the trouble.

You have a huge fan base of people who actually support you. Remember most of the people aren't like the morons who flame on these boards.

I think more "How would you feel about this" threads would help the suggestions. Things like the combat animation thread. You seemed to get a ton of feedback from that. Let us know what you want feedback on and there will be plenty of people that will want to post.
Pace' Ekif- Krayt Killer
Old 03-31-2007, 12:52 PM

I think that we have more people waiting to play the emu then 8k. Plenty of people are already posting on the forums for soon-to-be-precu servers. Like I post a lot on the TrueGalaxies forums because they will be the ones that affect how the pre-cu I play will be like.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:00 PM

first off, i believe the crafting system would be best kept as it was in pre-cu...experimentation tapes are a must also..ect...npc should have the full range of actions that they had before and it would be cool if we had some sort of neat quests to do every now n then from random ones that acually led to something... like remember those dudes out in the middle of nowhere that will give you a quest to help them with something..and it turned out to be BS...lets have that but not BS...More Factional stuff too...like the thing they did recently with certain areas with the points....rebel takes over theed or imp after a certain ammount of points..that was neat...gave sort of more a purpose to pvp...bases that arent bugged out and work...ect...i believe pvp is guna be a big want in this emu...crafting will always fall into a must due to armor..houses..foods...ect ect...so pvp and crafting...i have no idea what clustering is but i assume its with the server controlling the worlds flow of people ect? not sure...yea
Old 03-31-2007, 01:00 PM

Okay improvements, umm.
Maybe alittle more "Modern" site, you know what they say about first impressions right?

Oh and some events on the TC, more people will come and therefore more bugs and **** will be found.

Ill start my Waterpipe and some reggae music, maybe i can think of something else.
*I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.

-Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
Because then you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:31 PM

nm, thanks for clarification

Last edited by pedrohsi; 03-31-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Read my post a couple pages ago. I cleared the gline (ban) list on irc.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:45 PM

You know its shocking how many times ive seen someone be flamed on this forum for making a suggestion or a general query, the usual reply goes that this "haha you noob only 20 posts haha go back to WoW!" witch is strange because frankly practicly every member is a seasoned swg vet player with just as much experience with the game and forum ways as anyone else also we seem to be in a discussion loop over topics that dont generally need any input eg. the way to jedi" *sigh* whats the point in talking about changing something that would drasticly alter the precu play? the base game should stay the same otherwise youd be making a NGE version 2.0.

Ok rant over
Old 03-31-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post

-bi monthly Q/A Sessions.
-Weekly updates.

Smusatto suggested having "themed" stress test events
These are some of the best ideas I've seen in this discussion. I have a number of friends wanting to play the emulator. The most common question they ask me is "when will it be out". More information can only increase interest in the project.

I know you don't want to give an ETA on the emulator, doubtless if you say for example, that you think it may be released in September then if September rolls up and it's not out then some idiots will post "It's September and it's not here, you guys suck". But with the amount of time you've been working on this project and knowing what is done and what isn't you must have some idea of how far off it will be until a release approximating the original game will be made. Include this in the updates. Perhaps not a date but something like "there's maybe six months work". If you have a good month and things go well adjust it to five months. If things go slowly one month say so and keep the estimate to six months or even increase it if need be. Give people the info so they can manage their expectations.

Keep the information easily visible on the forums. Most of the likely emulator players will just be normal folks who can install a game and play it. They might be easily tempted to look at a site but will balk at the thought of IRC.

The themed tests will definitely help get testers. One of my friends recently asked me if she could play yet and should see re-install the game. I told her not to because all that can be done right now is limited PVP. She hates PVP. When there's some PVE to try she might want to help with testing or when there's tests to be done with entertaining or image design. When there's PVE and crafting to test I'll be able to try that because unlike PVP I have an interest and knowledge of it.

The more people see being made to work the more the interest will be and then the discussion of what we want to see in the game will really take off.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:44 PM

lol when we getting new weapons (1h lightsabers,swords,rifles exc.) and some clothes ...and groups!?

btw who ever had the bright idea to make this game.....i wuv u
Old 03-31-2007, 05:33 PM

"SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu."

SWGEmu is doing a piss poor job of community relations.

Anyone that asks a question, or tries to get details so they can give input or ideas, get flamed or banned from mods or devs.

Sorry, but after seeing other people getting their asses kicked by the team. I am reluctant to give any opinion, idea or ask any question. I would prefer to at least give an educated idea, and to do that question might need to be answered. Not people getting banned for asking questions.

Now if someone is just a complete tool, and doesn't look in the forums at all, and asks a question that was asked in the post below him. By all means, he derserves to get hit with the "Corky bat"

Trust me I appreciate everything that the team is doing, and how far you've gotten. But if you want to emphasize community, the first thing that has to be done is to relax your itchy trigger fingers from the ban button.

"If you want to know what we're working on:
Crafting (research)
Clustering (beginning in core3, oru's planning that I think)
Npcs/mobs (core3)"

I've seen people getting flamed/banned for just asking what is going on with Crafting. When that question (last I looked a couple months ago) wasn't even asnwered in the forums.

Please don't ban me for this, it did my best to remain constructive. But all the blame can't be put on the community.

--Blud Lust

P.S. And for the noobs... please search the forums before asking questions. Odds are it has been asked before.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:34 PM

Good job.

... k. My one month quota is filled.

<3
Old 03-31-2007, 05:35 PM

I've been watching this project for quite some time now and like most of the people who played Pre-Cu back in the day I never/rarely ever post on the foums. Many reasons have been mentioned as to why most of the community never posts but lets face it, the biggest reason no one posts here is because thats the way it was when Pre-Cu was live. Most people played the game and enjoyed it for what it was, not spending time on the forums because they had fun playing the game. Since Pre-Cu and even the CU no longer exists most of us are just checking in on the progress thats made because we can't do anything to help. Nor do we want to slow the progress down by creating pointless threads. We just want it back the way it was. No big changes just maybe some fixes (though everyones definition of what was broken will differ).

I applaud your efforts to make the SWGEMU site a more friendly and mature environment. That effort will go a long way and many of us won't forget who took the first step to create change. It will be difficult to get a lot of discussion here like there are on some of the server sites because people on the server sites people have something to work on. They're fostering a community where they will be accepted and build friendships that will be enjoyed when a working version of the game comes out that their server will host. They are also determining what their server will implement/leave out based on their communities feedback through polls and so on. That is a big reason why other forums are more active at the moment.

Suggestions:

- Show us a somewhat descriptive plan of attack you are using for creating the EMU.

Example:

1) Stability (600 members in the MOP)
2) Basic Combat (brief description)
3) Clustering
4) NPCs/Mobs
a) static
b) spawns for missions
c) random
3) Crafting
4) Resources and Resource Spawns

You get the idea. Something like this was done a while back and got a lot of praise. You all have a plan and many who visit this site frequently know whats coming but many who are new or don't frequent the site as much are clueless. This may also help answer questions frequently asked.

This post is long enough and you already have several other good ideas that were mentioned before. Thanks to ALL of the devs, mods and community for making this project successful. SOEs actions brought us together as a community. Lets not forget why we are here and what made this game so great.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: