SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Inactive Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roidrage667 View Post
No? They're completely worthless for gaming. It's not going to be anywhere near the norm for some years to come. If I'm able to run BOINC, SWG, WoW and have my BOINC work on 2 computing tasks without any major loss of time, why oh why would you ever need a quad-core for gaming? Dual cores aren't even the norm yet, you should check Steam's survey:

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

I don't know whens the last time anyone has said:

Shoot! This new game is going to be so CPU heavy!

Supreme Commander. Maxes the **** out of my Dual-Core E6600. My friend with a quad-core has to host or we lag too badly. :P
Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM

Forgive me for being an old lady and out of school for a long time...
I have a dual core HP media center. How does this help me for gaming? Does it automatically adjust to my needs or do I need to make some modifications to get the most out of it?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Seaseman
Administrator

You should be fine ZabrakWith. What kind of video card do you have? go Start -> Run -> type Dxdiag.exe and press enter.

Go into the Video tab, and it will tell you your video card.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:10 PM

Hooooooooooooly shiz.. so awesume guys, nice work!!!

Btw, i tried that thing you said seasame.. cause i was curious to what mine was, and couldnt find a video tab =/

Last edited by Inkanta12-lolz; 01-03-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Its actually under the display tab and your video card specifications will be in the top left hand corner under device
Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 AM

Does the Emu work with vista?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 PM

Yes i am running 64-bit vista ultimate and it works fine.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:56 PM

I logged in and my characters are no longer there and i can not create anybody because it will no let me in can someone help me please?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 PM

omg this progress is !=sane

I just wish I wasnt pullin 16 hour days man, frig. I haven't even had time to reinstall the Emu!!! It's been sitting all NGE'd up for like weeks.

Still though, SWEET FREAKIN DEAL

SWGemu
It Feels Like Beta Again
Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 AM

Logged on tonight for the first time in a couple of months and WOW, the progress is great. Been grouping with a few nice guys on Dathomir tonight and I haven't had this much fun playing a MMO since Nov 15th 2005.
(CU was ok on it's deathbed, it was nowhere near pre-cu, but it was ok).

I have for the last month and a half played NGE (God have mercy on my soul).
But tonight when I played SWGEMU, "everything" felt right. The original SWG UI is IMHO the best MMO UI we have ever seen. (Well, WOW has a great UI too, but the game itself sucks).

I am extremely pleased with the progress SWGEMU has done since I last played, but the problems I said would come when they started to spawn has come, you all said I was an idiot when I posted it, but it has come true.

I will explain and link in a post called "The good, the bad and the really GREAT" or some **** like that, but since it is now 11:17 AM and I REALLY need some sleep, I don't want to atempt writing a serious post atm, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. (Man I'm gonna have a problem on monday when I start at work again after this X-mas).

But bottom line is SWGEMU is doing great and I can barely wait for the next TC update.

Time for a new donation me thinks!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakis View Post
Supreme Commander. Maxes the **** out of my Dual-Core E6600. My friend with a quad-core has to host or we lag too badly. :P
Are you serious? SC maxes your PC out? I'm running on a 64-bit ASUS with a GeForce 7600 GT and I run SC on full and my fps doesn't even take a hit. It's a Single-Core machine. I always find it funny when people have dual core machines and they're having so much trouble with games as simple as Supreme Commander lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabrakwith View Post
Forgive me for being an old lady and out of school for a long time...
I have a dual core HP media center. How does this help me for gaming? Does it automatically adjust to my needs or do I need to make some modifications to get the most out of it?
Multiple cores were SUPPOSE to be made to handle seperate parts of operations done with your machine, but since no company other than microsoft takes that into effect it's just scrap-metal for the next 3-4 years. They're very overpriced and over hyped on the market. You could have a 2.4 quadcore, which is suppose to handle most operations at a nice rate, however you're not running with 4 2.4s with most programs, you're running with a single core. There's no real way to adjust this unless the operation is made specifically for it. Dual-Cores and Quad-Cores don't do anything for games atm. The only game I've seen that can handle dual core is Quake Wars. Quake Wars was made so that 1 core handles pure code, and the other handles the physical world, rendering models and effects.

So you can sit up on your 'throne' with multiple core machines, but it doesn't mean anything. The machine you're using will be obsolete in the next few years, and you spent over $400 on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedak View Post
There is no enough room in this thread for my ego!
We know man. Yes I <3 you that much Nedak!

Last edited by Xiox; 01-05-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiox View Post
Are you serious? SC maxes your PC out? I'm running on a 64-bit ASUS with a GeForce 7600 GT and I run SC on full and my fps doesn't even take a hit. It's a Single-Core machine. I always find it funny when people have dual core machines and they're having so much trouble with games as simple as Supreme Commander lol..

Multiple cores were SUPPOSE to be made to handle seperate parts of operations done with your machine, but since no company other than microsoft takes that into effect it's just scrap-metal for the next 3-4 years. They're very overpriced and over hyped on the market. You could have a 2.4 quadcore, which is suppose to handle most operations at a nice rate, however you're not running with 4 2.4s with most programs, you're running with a single core. There's no real way to adjust this unless the operation is made specifically for it. Dual-Cores and Quad-Cores don't do anything for games atm. The only game I've seen that can handle dual core is Quake Wars. Quake Wars was made so that 1 core handles pure code, and the other handles the physical world, rendering models and effects.

So you can sit up on your 'throne' with multiple core machines, but it doesn't mean anything. The machine you're using will be obsolete in the next few years, and you spent over $400 on it.

I guess that's not what I expected to hear. I assumed that a dual core would run much faster than a single core. I thought that the cores would work together in the processes that it runs, thus making the machine faster. Oh well!

ps- Seaseme, I have a GeForce 6600GT, which seems to run SWG(and most games) just fine. I was just curious if I was getting the max capability out of my dual core machine.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:16 PM

Wow, can't believe it has already been 3 years, you guys have made so much progress, great job! and happy new years to everybody!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 PM

Doodz, the secret to multi-core systems lies mostly in the OS. First off, more than a dual core system on XP is retarted! The kernel was only created around a dual cpu design and therefore does not make effective use of anything over that. Second, a 32-bit OS will limit your addressable space and running code again decreasing the effectiveness of a multi-core system. 64-bit Vista is really the ONLY system for more than 2 cores (outside of Windows Server 2003 that is). And yes, more core DOES help with Vista (shhhh all you Vista haters!). I had a dual-core E6300 OC'd to 2.53GHz and it ran very well. Then I dropped in a Q6700 at stock settings (my PSU is a bit dated at this point) and it ran extremely well. All other components of the system were unchanged, I haven't even taken the time to reload the OS yet. Vista will delegate single-threaded code to a core that is idle if there are other functions to be done. This helps alot with netcode on a system with a quad-core CPU. 1 core runs the game engine, 1 core runs the OS and 1 core runs the net code leaving the fourth core idle until needed by another application. This is all documented very well in quad core benchmarks where they run multiple single-threaded apps at the same time.

Oh, and there are 3 games in stores now that will make use of a quad core:
Supreme Commander (although the performance boost is unnoticed)
Crysis (which runs like poop unless you have a quad SLI setup with 4 8800GTXs anyway)
and finally Unreal Tournament III (which has had the biggest improvement from my dualie to my quad).

Sorry I don't have any links, I worked a 12 hour day and don't feel like finding them right now. But the short and skinny of it is if you're not a hardcore gamer wanting to play the newest stuff right away don't bother with the expense of the quad right now.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDevil View Post
Doodz, the secret to multi-core systems lies mostly in the OS. First off, more than a dual core system on XP is retarted! The kernel was only created around a dual cpu design and therefore does not make effective use of anything over that. Second, a 32-bit OS will limit your addressable space and running code again decreasing the effectiveness of a multi-core system. 64-bit Vista is really the ONLY system for more than 2 cores (outside of Windows Server 2003 that is). And yes, more core DOES help with Vista (shhhh all you Vista haters!). I had a dual-core E6300 OC'd to 2.53GHz and it ran very well. Then I dropped in a Q6700 at stock settings (my PSU is a bit dated at this point) and it ran extremely well. All other components of the system were unchanged, I haven't even taken the time to reload the OS yet. Vista will delegate single-threaded code to a core that is idle if there are other functions to be done. This helps alot with netcode on a system with a quad-core CPU. 1 core runs the game engine, 1 core runs the OS and 1 core runs the net code leaving the fourth core idle until needed by another application. This is all documented very well in quad core benchmarks where they run multiple single-threaded apps at the same time.

Oh, and there are 3 games in stores now that will make use of a quad core:
Supreme Commander (although the performance boost is unnoticed)
Crysis (which runs like poop unless you have a quad SLI setup with 4 8800GTXs anyway)
and finally Unreal Tournament III (which has had the biggest improvement from my dualie to my quad).

Sorry I don't have any links, I worked a 12 hour day and don't feel like finding them right now. But the short and skinny of it is if you're not a hardcore gamer wanting to play the newest stuff right away don't bother with the expense of the quad right now.

What about Windows XP 64 bit? How well does that use the other cores? I had problems with Vista not running a lot of my old games, even after setting them to run in Windows XP or Windows 2000 mode. I downloaded a trial of Windows XP 64 bit and most of them seem to work. Any suggestions for me on how I can get these games to work on Vista though? Mostly they are Battlefront 1 and 2 and Battlefield Vietnam.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: