SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Developer Chat Logs

Notices

Developer Chat Logs Once a month, on the second Saturday, at 7PM EST, we will hold an open Developer discussion on IRC. The logs from these chats will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-556 View Post
Oh, most of the time that's true. But explain to me how slowing down EVERYTHING (because if people move slow, it takes them longer to do things, which makes it slower to test), all for the sake of preventing people from hacking to get ahead, in a server that's gonna be wiped, helps development. Please, explain how that works.
Please explain how you ever had any argument at all. You're just pulling facts out of your ass and repeating them again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...

You do realize that by the time you're finished *****ing about this, they probably will have finished testing the algorithm, fixed rubberbanding, finished the OR, and released SunCrusher....and then you'll still be repeating it because of getting yourself caught in an endless, broken-record-like loop.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 PM

To tweak a system involving lag, you must tweak it on a system experiencing the lag. ITC doesn't lag the same way that TC does.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 PM

Laby just stop man theres no point in arguing with the guy. Just let him cry himself to sleep and this will all be a thing of the past soon. Don't give this guy the satisfaction of you feeding his need for attention.

The devs will have this sorted soon and all will be well.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 PM

Damn this thread got so boring.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 PM

Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayliaah View Post
Damn this thread got so boring.
Sadly...

The Truth, is limitless in its range
if you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse it could Hurt
Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer View Post
To tweak a system involving lag, you must tweak it on a system experiencing the lag. ITC doesn't lag the same way that TC does.
See, that's the first answer I've EVER heard that makes sense. Actually, it's the first answer I've ever heard in regards to keeping it up. Thanks for finally clearing it up.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:18 PM

Sorry, I really did think that was obvious... my mistake.

For future reference. Testing is done on ITC until testing on ITC is no longer useful, then testing is moved to TC:Nova... when TC:SC is opened... there will be a third link in that chain.

Devs/Admins want you to have a terrific testing experience within the context of what is practical for the needs of development with the limited resources that a volunteer effort provides. If development needs to hinder the fun of players, it will... keep it in mind and you will have a general understanding of most, if not all dev/admin decisions throughout this process.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer View Post
Sorry, I really did think that was obvious... my mistake.

For future reference. Testing is done on ITC until testing on ITC is no longer useful, then testing is moved to TC:Nova... when TC:SC is opened... there will be a third link in that chain.

Devs/Admins want you to have a terrific testing experience within the context of what is practical for the needs of development with the limited resources that a volunteer effort provides. If development needs to hinder the fun of players, it will... keep it in mind and you will have a general understanding of most, if not all dev/admin decisions throughout this process.
Aye, of course, I'm all for efficient testing. I just hadn't thought about that, and you're the first person to actually give a legit reason, instead of simply going "It's on cuz it's on"
Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 PM

Just as a follow up, and this is not meant to be pointed or mean... but honestly the devs should be given the benefit of the doubt in general. They really do just want to get this done... they're all very intelligent and thoughtful in the decisions that are made, while they do make mistakes - they usually know that they did before the torches and pitchforks come out.

It's one thing to communicate with the community on a frequent basis, and completely another to have to answer every question, especially the ones that need to be reduced to lamens in a contorted way to make people have some reasonable understanding.

Sometimes it's hard to remember what the masses might not just inherently "get", when it seems obvious to yourself. That's something that all the staff and volunteers need to constantly remind themselves of, and the community should also try to keep in mind.

Everyone here is learning all the time.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Well considering the devs appearently added rubberbanding at the request of the community, it's kind of hard to give them the benefit of the doubt in this instance. Since appearently they themselves didn't deem it a big priority until the community started *****ing.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 PM

That is not the case to my knowledge... they added it because the felt that the exploitation was causing problems to the testing environment, and it was - both socially and problems like causing bugged lairs and spawns everywhere they went.

But the rumor mill on both sides of the debate got out of control, people read and heard what they wanted to read and hear... and no amount of misinformation management could quell it. MMO life, as it were.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 PM

Shame the Dev's didn't just do what you did right off the bat, woulda solved a lot of problems.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 PM

They tried, repeatedly tbh. But once a mob is fired up, best to let the dust settle. Also, figuring out the right way to say the same thing you've said 45 times in a way that isn't misconstrued or over-analyzed or seen as "change" when it simply a dumbed down contortion of the same thing is frustrating, and frankly futile when the mob is frenzied.

I have the benefit of time and about 9001 conversations on the topic at this point.

Also... the mob is full of agenda. Certain people spread soooo much misinfo in all of this that karma will hit them eventually.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Still, I can't imagine it's that hard to go "We need to witness the rubberbanding in a laggy environment to fix it" :/ Oh well, neither here nor there, now that I know why it's being kept on (and know that it's for a legitiment reason), I'm done campaigning for it's removal lol Amazing what simply telling the facts can do
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: