SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Update 6/14/09

Creature Handler, Harvesters, and the Current State of TC
Creature Handler
As many of you know, Creature Handler was being worked on recently by mrtopas. The code had been released for public testing on TC:Nova for a couple days; however, due to the instability of the code, it had to be totally removed from TC:Nova, and will NOT reappear until post Object Restructure. For those of you wishing to play around with mrtopas current work, he has branched the content into a seperate Creature Handler branch on the SVN.

Harvesters

Unfortunately, due to the untimely implementation of cRush's structure revamp, which included harvesters, the new installations had to be completely removed from the current TC:Nova as well. The old, buggy, installations may still be accessible, but users should be cautioned that they are not at all dependable. Use them at your own risk! Like Creature Handler, the new installations will be rolled out with the Object Restructure. Please be patient crafters!

Current State of TC:Nova
Currently, TC:Nova is running on SVN revision 1467. This revision is extremely stable and has ran consecutively without crash or deadlock for over 9 days twice in a row - a testament to the supremity of Engine3. The current core is only utilizing 1-3% of the CPU processing power even at peak times with 200+ players online. This is quite an achievement. Unfortunately, TC:Nova will be staying in its current state until the Object Restructure has been completed and is ready to be rolled out. We encourage players to play and have fun during this time, as you will not need to worry about database wipes until the object restructure hits.

Object Restructure
What is it?
The Object Restructure is precisely what its name suggests - a restructuring of the current object inheritance model in our code. More specifically, this means that we are reworking the polymorphic hierarchy of objects. Additionally, we are rethinking the logical interaction of objects and reconfiguring their members and methods to be both more simplistic and powerful.

"Wait what?!"

The Object Restructure is a vast undertaking, which will take much of the developmental focus available to the project. Development has progressed at a surprising rate in the last year, and some inconsistencies have arisen in the code base. Furthermore, some new discoveries have been made which more accurately depict the model we desire to accomplish. The Object Restructure is basically a quick refactoring of code. We are moving existing code around, simplifying it, and making it more logical and easy to understand. It will impact every facet of the current code base, requiring all aspects to be retested thoroughly upon release.

Why are we doing it?
As we draw closer to the inevitable release of SWGEmu 1.0 and the launch of SunCrusher Beta, we have come to realize that we need to standardize and conventionalize the code base in many areas. It has become unmanageable in some areas, obfuscated to hopeful developers. In order to best serve the community and its aspirations for contribution, we feel that restructuring the code to be much more readable and modifyable is a mutually beneficial situation.

How long will it take to finish?
Though we adhere to our policy of NEVER releasing ETAs, it is safe to suggest that the Object Restructure should be completed no later than the end of August, and, if all goes well, possibly at least a month sooner. However, we again ask that NO ETAs are asked in regard to this question. We are all busy in real life, and devote our time freely to this project. Please have the mutual respect we share with you, and observe this request.

What happens when it is finished?
When the Object Restructure has been finished, it will be rolled out to TC:Nova for deep testing. During this time, we will see the rapid development of all non-existing features which will make up SWGEmu 1.0. At the conclusion of this testing phase, we will open SunCrusher Beta, and begin our Beta phase testing prior to the release of SWGEmu 1.0.

State of Bi-Weekly's and Developer Chats
All Bi-Weekly updates and Open Developer Chats will be postponed until the conclusion of the Object Restructure. This is due to the fact that we will have little to report during this time, and the developers focus will need to be solely on the project to ensure the quickest time of completion possible. However, Do not despair! We have plenty of events and fun happenings in the works by our Event Coordination department which will keep things alive and interesting in the mean time! Read more below:

TC:Nova Events
Hi Everyone!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm El'layn, and I'm the new Social Event Coordinator for the project. Lunatec and I wanted to take a few minutes to update everyone on what has been going on ingame lately.

On Saturday, May 30th, the entire community came together to film for the Official SWGEmu Promotional Video. The day's filming was spearheaded by Kronik, who did an incredible job getting everyone organized, frapsed, and moved around the galaxy. After they took over fifty different videos, we all adjourned to Vreni Island for a short concert by Queens of the Clone Age. Jear was kind enough to make a video of the concert, and you can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZUNojiILsk&fmt=22

If you'd like to learn more about the Promotional Video Project, visit this thread:

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21072

Monday, Lunatec hosted a rousing game of Hide-And-Seek PvP. Small groups of Rebels headed out into the wilderness of Lok and teams of Imperials ranged out to find them. The Rebels proved to be capable small-team fighters, and took the day. Everyone had a great time, and the evening was capped off by an old fashioned PvP event at Nym's Palace.

Finally, the entertainers of the galaxy took a road trip to Mos Entha, Tatooine, for our very first Way Out Wednesday. We had an excellent turnout, with people from both sides of the pond attending. It was a very nice chance to catch up with old friends and meet new ones. Stay tuned for the next Way Out Wednesday - coming at you from the beautiful city of Keren, Naboo.

After the party wound down, the Rebels and Imperials again squared off in the streets of Mos Entha. Fun was had by all, and in the end the Imperials were victorious, winning 2 rounds to 1. Both sides fought well, and you can see highlights of their battle compliments of Dedaskalion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgeHrMcTmis

This past Sunday evening, PvP again broke out on Nova, with the Rebels pulling ahead again with a 3-1 victory. Good job everyone!

Finally, thank you so much to everyone who has helped me out as I learn the ropes! I'm having a great time meeting everyone, and I cannot wait to plan even more events for you. If you have an event idea, please feel free to post it in the event ideas thread ( http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21012 ) or email us at ellayn@swgemu.com or lunatec@swgemu.com.

Lunatec and El'layn

SunCrusher Update
Rumored Release Date
We would like to take a moment to dispel all the rumors and misinformation that has been floating around the forums, in-game, and elsewhere regarding the release date of our SunCrusher persistent server. There has been some confusion about the Assembla.com page's Milestone, which has an explicit date set for the milestone to be completed. It has been said before that this date is tentative, meaning that it is subject to change. Please understand that this date is for internal developmental purposes only; the Assembla Milestone system REQUIRES a date be input for the deadline of the milestone. This date DOES NOT reflect our intentions on releasing SunCrusher to the public. When SunCrusher is ready, you will not be able to miss it. For those of you who are not aware, SunCrusher has a website, which will be updated when the time comes. Please direct your browsers to http://www.suncrusher.net. When you are able to enter this site, you will know that SunCrusher is ready for release. There will also be announcements on this site. We ask that you all remain patient until that time - it is closer than you think!

Last edited by Kyle; 06-14-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Lead Moderator
Community Team

Thanks for the update, I'm sure plenty of peeps were lookin for one.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:46 AM

you guys have done nothing but impress me so far, I'm sure this next big step will help bring about what were all looking for, the good ole days ;p
Old 06-14-2009, 01:47 AM

Communications Received and Acknowledged. Thanks!

Unrequested Recommendation:
Add to homepage news so status watchers also take note.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

Hope this puts to rest the questions and concerns that have been so rampant lately.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:59 AM

really nice update there , nice to be dead centre of the top pic
Old 06-14-2009, 02:09 AM

Thanks for all the time and devotion you guys have been putting into this object restructure.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:23 AM

We have the best team everrr =)
Old 06-14-2009, 02:57 AM

Cool, I felt something was going on in the background. Now I know and knowing is half the battle.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:05 AM

Many thanks for the update and all of the work being done.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 AM

omg i made the first page!! woot!

Jedi Legion Guild Leader
TernimatriX (Jack Furnari)

jack.furnari@gmail.com
Old 06-14-2009, 03:36 AM

Thanks for the update. Keep up the great work.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Quality Assurance (On Leave)

Thanks for the update guys and gals, good to know whats going on, /beers all round
Old 06-14-2009, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the update
Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the update. Good luck with the restructure!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: