SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Developer Chat Logs

Notices

Developer Chat Logs Once a month, on the second Saturday, at 7PM EST, we will hold an open Developer discussion on IRC. The logs from these chats will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merak Bashee View Post
Colt's last statement reminds me of Hideo Kojima.

On another note, considering we have to run about just about anywhere (Since dear GOD I used the shuttleport once and I swear it ripped me off 3k credits), as we're without vehicles, speed hacking could even be of benefit, if only to move around.

Pulls flame shield up.
While speed hacking being something to be encouraged (at the moment) is certainly controversial, that should be up to the individual player and his ethics. In the end speed hacking should just be ignored at the moment, there's simply bigger concerns that need addressing. Speed hacking, and all hacking, should be dealt with when the game is in a more stable condition and closer to release.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-556 View Post
While speed hacking being something to be encouraged (at the moment) is certainly controversial, that should be up to the individual player and his ethics. In the end speed hacking should just be ignored at the moment, there's simply bigger concerns that need addressing. Speed hacking, and all hacking, should be dealt with when the game is in a more stable condition and closer to release.
Tell that to the people who would instantly start QQ'ing about speedhackers once the prevention was removed. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. And the Slice is always cheaper from the other side of the Fence's mood....be a good customer.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
Tell that to the people who would instantly start QQ'ing about speedhackers once the prevention was removed. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. And the Slice is always cheaper from the other side of the Fence's mood....be a good customer.
I'd tell them to shut their mouths and gtfo. A few people speed-hacking and getting jedi a day before me is preferable to spending weeks not being able to do jack all. If they're really so vain as to care that someone got jedi, on a test server, that's going to be wiped, because they hacked. They really should be ignored.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I'd tell them to shut their mouths and gtfo. A few people speed-hacking and getting jedi a day before me is preferable to spending weeks not being able to do jack all. If they're really so vain as to care that someone got jedi, on a test server, that's going to be wiped, because they hacked. They really should be ignored.
And the cycle would continue.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
And the cycle would continue.
True, but in the end the good of the many outweighs the good of the few. It'd benefit EVERYONE to remove rubberbanding, and while some people might ***** cuz speed hackers are progressing forward, big deal. Like I said, a couple people hacking to get jedi on a server that's gonna be wiped is preferable to the entire community being unable to test properly.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:32 PM

/Agree Colt

Its very nice if they punish hackers, but not if all others get punished at the same time.

What i said before: the best will be to turn it off for the moment and put it back in for testing, when they are able to work on it (if OR got finished for example).

It doesnt looks like they are working on it atm, because absolutly nothing changed for weeks now.
Thats ok, because they dont really get paid for it and doing it in their freetime.
But as long as they cant work on it, it makes no sense to let it stay on the servers.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Exactly Alegis. It isn't even a matter of them ignoring it entirely. If they wanna work on it now that's fine. But they can't just throw some half-assed rubberband code on the server, and just forget about it, which is what they've done if it's been this way for weeks. They should work on it, throw it ingame, after a few days see if it works or not. If it doesn't they turn it off, tweak it, and stick it back on. Expecting us to endure weeks of bull**** rubberbanding that makes testing a very unpleasent, and time consuming process is just unnecessary.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
True, but in the end the good of the many outweighs the good of the few. It'd benefit EVERYONE to remove rubberbanding, and while some people might ***** cuz speed hackers are progressing forward, big deal. Like I said, a couple people hacking to get jedi on a server that's gonna be wiped is preferable to the entire community being unable to test properly.
To me it's all the same *****-filled cycle. I've seen plenty of people right now who shrug at rubberbanding and others who just make a big joke of it. The vocal people really are a minority.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:58 PM

The trolls would have you believe that a majority of the community wanted to keep rubberbanding in and cried to have it. That is a complete bold faced lie to make drama and divide this community. The people who were vocal about this subject, as this subject came about, overwhelmingly wanted rubberbanding removed and wanted a fair punishment for exploiting for personal gain (instead of reporting the nature of exploit for a fix).

To see this community continue to argue in circles, being trolled by liars who only wish to stir up drama is bull****, and needs to stop. If you want to believe them, that is your choice, and your failure.

Thread is closed, but here is the link to get a more accurate look at how the community reacted then.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33121

There is no real fix for speedhacking script-kiddies that won't piss off and 'punish' the entire community, not until the "fix" (rubberbanding speedhack code) is optimized. Good luck with that, because it seems some people, staff included, are enjoying all the drama entirely too much.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
The trolls would have you believe that a majority of the community wanted to keep rubberbanding in and cried to have it. That is a complete bold faced lie to make drama and divide this community. The people who were vocal about this subject, as this subject came about, overwhelmingly wanted rubberbanding removed and wanted a fair punishment for exploiting for personal gain (instead of reporting the nature of exploit for a fix).

To see this community continue to argue in circles, being trolled by liars who only wish to stir up drama is bull****, and needs to stop. If you want to believe them, that is your choice, and your failure.

Thread is closed, but here is the link to get a more accurate look at how the community reacted then.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33121

There is no real fix for speedhacking script-kiddies that won't piss off and 'punish' the entire community, not until the "fix" (rubberbanding speedhack code) is optimized. Good luck with that, because it seems some people, staff included, are enjoying all the drama entirely too much.
And I thought that community reaction was completely ridiculously out of hand. It was a sensationalistic bandwagon that kept rolling because of a complete flood of rumors about the speedhackers in question and a perfect scapegoat for a community that was rather tightly wound, despite being told ad infinitum that this is an Alpha stage Test Center.

And I don't care how many posted in that thread, it was still a minority of the community in comparison to its size, meaning that it's a cycle of bull****.

We done yet? This is a great way to procrastinate you know.
Closed Thread