SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:27 PM

The psudo jedi combat that's on core 3 right now just slays me. I hope it's just temporary...

It's like being stuck half as a jedi and half as whatever profession you're fighting as... which turns all combat into "Force Management" bouts.

Last edited by TrueProphecy22; 04-03-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Jesus this thread is long.

I've noticed a lot of people mentioning how difficult it to get irc working for them.

I think it would be helpful if a web based IRC client were hosted on swgemu.com. Something like EIRC would definently make it easier for IRC newbies to get connected.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:04 PM

For FireFox users the following add-on works great in regards to IRC:

ChatZilla

Old 04-03-2007, 04:06 PM

I think there's a fairly simple solution to people getting flamed for questions: just stop flaming them. If someone asks a question that you think is stupid, just ignore the person. If it's on the forums, don't reply. If it's in IRC, act like they didn't say anything. If someone does feel like answering, they will and the newbie in question will get their answer. If no one replies, it's likely this person will look elsewhere for the answer.

This practice is very easy to implement in IRC, although it does have the potential to cause some clutter in the forums. If people rated threads asking questions based on how good they think the question is, developers might be able to save time sifting through useless questions on the forums and instead just look at the highly-rated ones; ones that a large number of people obviously don't know the answer to since the rating is high. Kind-hearted community members could take it upon themselves to answer the lowly-rated ones.

Last edited by Nikkia; 04-03-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admax88 View Post
Jesus this thread is long.

I've noticed a lot of people mentioning how difficult it to get irc working for them.

I think it would be helpful if a web based IRC client were hosted on swgemu.com. Something like EIRC would definently make it easier for IRC newbies to get connected.
Yeah that would be good only problem is how do the mods ban someone if they are spamming or doing something worthy of banning. I ask that because when you connect to IRC through a browser it doesn't show the mods your IP it shows the website your connecting to it through. Bassically its impossible to block/ban people if they are abusing chat privledges.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Services Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po-ooga View Post
Ramsey, the Problem is 3/4 of the community is banned from MIRC, and has banned forum acounts. Thats whats the problem is. if you guys lifted the ban people would be able to venture into MIRC again, etc.
Not an acurate number. We have 34 banned accounts on the forum, most of which are clones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSky
He wasn't, people get banned from IRC for no reason.

I'm sure there is a reason that people get banned on the IRC. Most of the people you see complaining on the forums about IRC bans were not themselves banned, but are on the same network as someone else who was banned/glined/whatever you want to call it.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLeader View Post
I'm sure there is a reason that people get banned on the IRC. Most of the people you see complaining on the forums about IRC bans were not themselves banned, but are on the same network as someone else who was banned/glined/whatever you want to call it.
The same network wouldn't be so bad. But the same subnet or even the same ISP is something completely different.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Services Manager

Some people (like me) have an ISP that chages your address every day or so. The only way to keep a banned person from coming back (at least for awile) is to ban the whole ISP. I don't like it any more than you do, but sometimes it's the only way to keep troublemakers out.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLeader View Post
Some people (like me) have an ISP that chages your address every day or so. The only way to keep a banned person from coming back (at least for awile) is to ban the whole ISP. I don't like it any more than you do, but sometimes it's the only way to keep troublemakers out.
And that's exactly how people get banned when they never did anything wrong.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:57 AM

In my opinion IRC is a little too off topic, I just can't stay on IRC of how off topic it is. Yes we should get to know each other but, some people are so ignorant of how people take stuff. Like I know all about kidding around but, the last time I was on IRC I knew I had to just leave, their was too much arguing about stupid stuff not related to this project at all. Maybe we can have an OFF TOPIC CHANNEL: ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Last edited by tonsters525; 03-30-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:56 AM

I've been hesitant to reply to threads because of the threat of banning.

Flaming isn't exactly caused by the people being unwilling to look for answers to their questions - it's that threads get named poorly.

The thread requesting that people not try to log into the TC when it isn't up was titled "Fair Warning." As far as I know, that's a Van Halen album, not a warning about not logging into the TC. The thread would probably be better served by titling it "Please don't try logging into TC when it's down"

If the help topics were also specific, that could also reduce the number of support question threads that result in flaming.

I understand that the search function should provide relevant results, but even on the best of forums, there are lots of visitors that don't search, and just browse.

Once mobs are implemented in the test center, I'd be a whole lot more likely to participate in tests. I can't handle PvP at all. I just get knocked down and killed every time.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
We have 8k members I dont see why people don't get on IRC or create forum topics and discuss.

SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu.

Please encourage your friends who played precu to join and participate in dicussions on the forum. PLEASE give suggestions, we read them. What do you want to be able to do with scriptable npcs? What are you looking for in a server? What if...

There are tons of things you can do to make SWGEmu better, without having to be on the staff. Just help others out and SHARE ideas. Don't wait for updates and post "good job" every month or so. You wont be banned if you follow the rules and be respectful.

If you want to know what we're working on:
Crafting (research)
Clustering (beginning in core3, oru's planning that I think)
Npcs/mobs (core3)

I was primarily a research guy but I'm learning the ropes of core3 to help TA and Oru. Once a few more things are added I will ask oru about doing another stress test with more content. But before that we need a stable community.

I've done this sort of thing twice before with little success, I'll have another go at it.

Suggestions?
well, i went on irc few times when i was new, i asked 2 simple questions, i just got flame, so i am done with it, and just look at the forum to see what is going on.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
We have 8k members I dont see why people don't get on IRC or create forum topics and discuss.

SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu.

Please encourage your friends who played precu to join and participate in dicussions on the forum. PLEASE give suggestions, we read them. What do you want to be able to do with scriptable npcs? What are you looking for in a server? What if...

There are tons of things you can do to make SWGEmu better, without having to be on the staff. Just help others out and SHARE ideas. Don't wait for updates and post "good job" every month or so. You wont be banned if you follow the rules and be respectful.

If you want to know what we're working on:
Crafting (research)
Clustering (beginning in core3, oru's planning that I think)
Npcs/mobs (core3)

I was primarily a research guy but I'm learning the ropes of core3 to help TA and Oru. Once a few more things are added I will ask oru about doing another stress test with more content. But before that we need a stable community.

I've done this sort of thing twice before with little success, I'll have another go at it.

Suggestions?
First of all, I cant get onto IRC because the port is closed at my apartment complex. This is probably a common practice, too, because I know a lot of people who cant use it. Also, IRC has a pretty bad reputation of people getting banned for no reason. I cant comment on it personally but I've seen threads and such.

What type of suggestions do you want? Do you want
- What you should work on next?
- New creative content to add?
- Bug Fixes?
What do you want suggestions on?

I think the majority of discussion of the emu goes on in the future ideas forum. That may not be what you mean by suggestions, but I think if you wanted suggestions that would be the place to ask for it.
Pace' Ekif- Krayt Killer
Old 03-30-2007, 01:36 PM

I actually stay away from these forums sometimes because there's too much e-drama.

The suggestion forum is nothing but a shooting gallery where people come in and flame other peoples' ideas. It's not productive.

Too many people on here have a bad attitude (this includes both some of the dev/mod team as well as a good portion of the community). It seems like many people here have a chip on their shoulder.

Back to the e-drama, what the **** is this nonsense about code being stolen back when we were open source? Are people retarded? The whole point of open-source projects is that anyone can look at AND USE your code. That's the entire point.

Too often I see power-tripping mods posting in locked threads just to get the last word and prevent anyone from rebutting.

Too often I see people on the forums flame perfectly acceptable posts because they think they're the ****ing boy scouts of the forums.

The average maturity level of this community seems fairly low, which is why I spend less and less time here.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:46 PM

I personally post next to nothing for a simple reason, half the time people just start spouting insults, and I've seen Ultyma ban people for the most rediculous things. I have no desire to interact with a mod who'll not answer a question and would just as soon ban you for asking, therefore I read, I keep up with the new information and I keep my mouth shut. I am prepared to be banned for saying this, but someone needed to comment on it. No one wants to ask a question and have someone who obviously has more power than his attitude warrants ban them for seemingly no reason at all.

I'm not saying Ultyma isn't great at whatever he does, just that maybe a bit of tolerance is in order if you want the community to expand. People don't like being flamed, don't like being insulted because they're ignorant or not up to date on facts, and it's even less engouraging when you see new members get banned and Senior members act like it was completely acceptable... case in point...
Capt Jones says "Messaging you? Can't recall.. I came in one night after my bro left, to check what's going on in IRC and you said something about "now ur getting banned" or something and some bigger nerd said 'lol'.
Also, whats wrong with talking **** in the forums? It's not very alive as you can see."
And Ultyma replies "I wasn't even talking to you idiot.
I'm replying to Eaglez. This is his thread and you decided to troll on it.
More reason why you are banned from our servers.
And now I'm taking away your posting privileges. Good Day."

I personally don't think it's right, and chose not to post for the most part after two or three of these were the first couple posts I found. I have every intention of keeping up with what's going on, every intention of playing the SWGemu as it progresses, and even more so when it's done, but I will not continue to hold my tongue, when I see people get banned for nothing, and I fully expect to get banned for speaking my mind.
Closed Thread