SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Bi-Weekly Updates

Notices

Bi-Weekly Updates Bi-Weekly Updates are SWGEmu's cornerstone updates, posted every two weeks.

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaseme View Post
To answer some questions.

Why is this going to be different than core 1?

We've learned from core 1, and believe me. We've been talking about how to prevent a core 1 from ever happening again for almost a month now. This time around there will be QUALITY CONTROL. There will be more testing before ANY revisions are made, and we will make sure that they are quality revisions. We will only accept code from people who are GOOD coders. Not ANYONE, like before.

The problem before with core 1 was that certain members of the dev team DIDN'T LOOK or TEST most of the revisions that were submitted. They just threw them onto the pile. That's why it was so unclean, so hard to work with and SO unstable. Like I said before, not just ANYONE will be able to submit code that will be added to the revision list. We will require that it is tested, and worth while to implement.

We've started DevTeam2, which is sort of a new dev team that will concentrate on features, testing and clearing revisions for final submission. They will be the only ones with the capability and permission to submit final revisions and such to SVN.

What is Engine3?
Engine 3 is the "engine" of core 3. Without engine 3, core 3 is useless. Without core 3, engine3 is still engine 3. It's all of the actual server work, the clustering code, and all of the things that happen beneath the hood to keep core3 running nicely.

I'll try to keep answering questions.
When will the core 3 static library be available?

>>> Lowca Ownz <<<
Toons: Gulkia (lowca), Enderr (lowca), Bank' (bloodfin)
Swgemu video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJgOHsJA3o & Classic Swg vid
Need help connecting to the swgemu test center? Click Here
Old 11-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Seaseman
Administrator

ASAP. We're working with some security measures on it. So no one can steal it and pretend they did the work. So, sorry to those people.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Great work guys. Bravo-Zulu
Old 11-22-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:

Why is this going to be different than core 1?

We've learned from core 1, and believe me. We've been talking about how to prevent a core 1 from ever happening again for almost a month now. This time around there will be QUALITY CONTROL. There will be more testing before ANY revisions are made, and we will make sure that they are quality revisions. We will only accept code from people who are GOOD coders. Not ANYONE, like before.

The problem before with core 1 was that certain members of the dev team DIDN'T LOOK or TEST most of the revisions that were submitted. They just threw them onto the pile. That's why it was so unclean, so hard to work with and SO unstable. Like I said before, not just ANYONE will be able to submit code that will be added to the revision list. We will require that it is tested, and worth while to implement.

We've started DevTeam2, which is sort of a new dev team that will concentrate on features, testing and clearing revisions for final submission. They will be the only ones with the capability and permission to submit final revisions and such to SVN.
Thanks Seaseme, that helped to allay some of my fears about this venture.

This is, afterall, a coding project as much as it is a gameplay project. I see no real reason why not to get more coders involved, as long as their code can be verified as quality code, and that checking said code doesn't significantly slow the main dev team.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Im a little confused? is this DevTeam2 the 4 current devs(oru,ultyma,ramsey,TA)? or some section/addition of those? Are the 'newbies' (community members deemed worthy enough to be part of the team) going to be part of DevTeam2?

Also, its probably because i've been reading too many tragic plays for my English Literature class, but to me, the original post made it seem like the Devs are getting stuck/stumped on some obstacles. Is this in anyway true? We all like to think our 4 devs are super-men-coders but its not out of the realm of possibilities that they could be stumped.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:29 AM
President
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostyleguy View Post
Im a little confused? is this DevTeam2 the 4 current devs(oru,ultyma,ramsey,TA)? or some section/addition of those? Are the 'newbies' (community members deemed worthy enough to be part of the team) going to be part of DevTeam2?

Also, its probably because i've been reading too many tragic plays for my English Literature class, but to me, the original post made it seem like the Devs are getting stuck/stumped on some obstacles. Is this in anyway true? We all like to think our 4 devs are super-men-coders but its not out of the realm of possibilities that they could be stumped.
DevTeam2 is not the current devs. It is going to be made up of some really good people that have been with the project for a while. As for being stumped, thats not the case. DevTeam1 (at least Oru, TA) prefer to work on the server core, while team 2 doesn't do anything with the underlying server/networking/etc code, they focus on things like loot, combat, resource, crafting, etc. So, while Team 1 works on server stability, there is another team working on features. This is a very simple explanation, because its not precisely that cut and dry, but you get the idea.

Kyle (previously mustangcoupe69)
Launchpad Enhanced: Making client setup simple <-- This fixes 99% of problems. Use it.
Client Setup Guide
Old 11-22-2007, 04:07 AM
Administrator
DeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
What exactly is going to stop them now from say downloading the code here and then building on it and then releasing there own claiming credit for all that work?
And..?

Anyway,
Until a stable release there WILL be a connection cap. Do not think we are doing this so a bunch of core1-like party servers popup over night. The point of open source is to get work done, while involving the community. The connection cap will be enough for code submitters to test out the code with a couple of friends to make sure there arent any sync problems before submitting it for review. The development team will optimize, fix, and clean up all submitted code and accept it if it meets standards. All this information will be disclosed on trac soon.

I remember someone asking this on irc or something, but yes: this is the ORB (clustering) version of core&engine 3.

Last edited by Ramsey; 11-22-2007 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:30 AM
Seaseman
Administrator

Stumped isn't the word. We are definetly held up from all of this heightmap stuff. But other things can continue while the heightmap info is figured out. Everything is going fine. Everyone just came to the realization that we could do this a better way. So here it is.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:56 AM

I can't say this enough times... thank you guys, yet again for you efforts! I'm really looking forward to the day SWGEmu goes live.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:28 AM

very good update
Old 11-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Developer
DeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebena View Post
This is great news to hear indeed. A concern I have though is with the competitive other swg emu project's out there. What exactly is going to stop them now from say downloading the code here and then building on it and then releasing there own claiming credit for all that work?

This may sound stupid as I'm not very suave coder/server-client side coding type of person but I was just thinking someone is going to try and claim credit for all the work you guys did..

We have weighed the good/bad of releasing the code and having other teams claim it as their own. We've come to the conclusion that at this point in the game it doesn't matter.

We did it first. If they do it last, it's because of our work and our research. Just like it has always been.

The only real thing they could take is packet structures. And I'm 100% they have structs for everything already so thats not even an issue in my mind.

The code thats written is essentially useless to any other project because its built so heavily around Engine3.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:46 AM

This is one of the better moves that i have seen by the team in quite awhile. Im glad that you guys are willing to suck up your pride to get the game done. With a little luck and programming, SWG will be back up and running in the near future.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:40 AM

i applaud your decision and i hope nothing but good comes from it, for the team and for the project.

Intrepid
Old 11-22-2007, 09:38 AM

I like this.
This allows SWGEMU to progress solely on heightmaps bvut at the same time allows others to get other things working for them which saves them less work.
And since it will go through a heavy QA process before SWGEMU add it offically to their core. no unstableness like Core 1
Old 11-22-2007, 09:53 AM

i like to hear this :]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: