SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 AM

after reading alot of things over the past few days on this topic, i think we just need to be kept up to date on fixes and breakthroughs... even if they are minor. you guys get a major update every month or longer and we get alot of buzz alot of speculation and alot of hope, then boom. NOTHING. If we are up to date all the time we have more things to look forward to and post about when we log in.

my 2 credits :P

Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 AM

I'm kinda late to this topic, thanks to the link from the guys at Sunrunner Vets

Anyway, i'm going to be perfectly honest the average person like me of course really just wants an up and working swgemu. I really don't care whats going on over here until everything is working and thats the sentiment of alot of people I know that are interested in playing.

So it comes down to this you'll have a more active community when you all finally get things up and running.

Good day
Old 04-04-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabodia View Post
So it comes down to this you'll have a more active community when you all finally get things up and running.
QFE, it has always been this way. Don't expect things to be different here.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:45 AM

My 2 credits worth:

I've been following the Emu and will continue to do so, so long as I don't get banned. I was very excited in the early days and even contributed (>$100) to the cause only to see the funds walk away.

I've volunteered several times to help in coding projects as I have over 20 years c/C++ experience doing client/server coding and mostly received heckles from shall we say less than a professional crowd.

I can appreciate how much work there is to do and the amount of time its going to take to get there. If it is to be just a PVP version of SWG then its probably pretty close but to add in crafting, entertaining, bazaars, mission terms, creature spawns, creature taming, fishing, etc. so its more palatable to a broader audience, its a long way off.

I just decided that I'm too old for the nonsense from a few who think they have it all (no one in particular in mind).

I don't have the wherewithall to monitor IRC especially from work and when I get home I generally have other things to do.

So I'll watch for awhile and hope for the best
Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM

Here are some thoughts on why your community building efforts are not succeeding to the degree you would like:
-- Your FAQs rudely tell noobs to read FAQs before asking stupid noob questions
-- Your FAQs rudely convey that the forum mods are ban happy and will quickly ban anyone asking a stupid noob question or being subjectively disruptive
-- Noobs are scared of IRC, which is a 1980s technology that no one except Linux freaks use
-- Your admins and mods say antagonistic things to forum participants, it makes this forum look unprofessional, fly-by-night and hostile
-- You don't provide systematic and easy to find info on what SWGemu is and how it's progressing

Some suggestions:
-- Create a "newbie yard" forum (like EQ2)
-- Improve your FAQ materials in tone and substantive quality
-- Provide weekly updates on progress
-- Use a gentler touch as a mod and discourage unprofessional behavior from mods/admins when posting
-- Consider writing an article about yourselves on wiki
-- You should provide links to SWGemu affiliated server sites and get them to link back to you
-- Get rid of IRC or stop relying on it so strongly and shift those IRC efforts back to the forum
-- Make the forum more prominently displayed and advertised on the homepage of swgemu.com
-- Let other community members answer noob questions for you
-- Create more or different forum topics than the ones you currently have
-- Have a lawyer address for you the legality of your work so that people stop questioning it
-- Provide more videos
-- Get those videos onto youtube and googlevideo and let people download high quality videos
-- Have weekly screenshots for a screenshot gallery
-- Have community polls on weekly basis
-- Publish interviews with your devs on your website (who are they? what do they enjoy about swgemu dev work? what are the challenges?)
-- Reach out to the game magazines and game websites and invite them to do articles about you and your work
-- Make easier-to-find and easier-to-understand FAQ materials on how noobs can download, install and use the SWGemu client
-- Maybe a have "noob" section of your website
-- Do some guerilla marketing of SWGemu on other community forums (like Fires of Heaven, EVE, Stratics, MMORPG, silkyvenom etc.)

I love you guys and hope very much that you succeed. I hope you find some of the above suggestions helpful.

Last edited by jonaku; 04-04-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:43 PM

In preparation for the NPC implementation.... whenever that may come -
If we had the means of preparing a chunk of data to be included in that, I think that'd give something for the community to organize.
I'm not sure what would be included, but there would have to be tables of dialogue to trigger missions. If we get involved in creating test data for you, that could help foster a community feel.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:16 PM

i was following rules on irc. when over to a friends house idleing in irc one day came back and was perma banned :confused: sorry
Old 04-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaku View Post
-- Provide more videos
-- Get those videos onto youtube and googlevideo and let people download high quality videos
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344

Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 PM

This thread would've been more fun if Ultyma posted it.. give you more of something to throw at, I actually want to hear his opinion on how 'well' this is progressing. btw posting a Q&A doesn't exactly fix everything, it answers questions in more of a vague perception. Last time I could recall you said you had things working but you didn't specify if it was the dummy server or the emu. A Q&A doesn't fix it at all, presenting your accomplishments to the point where they're even 50% to 100% working and showing proof of it is what will get people talking. Every 2 or 3 months we end up finding a new video on youtube where you guys run some little test we have no idea about, and it presents nothing.. I mean.. what the hell? I think the main issue is because you don't present it well enough for people to even have faith in what you're doing.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:49 PM

IMO My friends and i are starting to get burnt out on the hole emu thing you've been working on this forever i knows it time consuming but like when you do stress test on the new core3 i can't tell a diffrence between it ond the first one yet yall talk about all the progress made but can see nothing changed on the test server maybe try puting some of those changes on the core 3 TC the show some progress sorry don't post much but my friends and I work 6 days a week 12 hours a night not must time for reading and talking on fourms just my 2 cents
Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar View Post
*** Fenderbean has quit IRC (User has been permanently banned from SWGEMU (no reason))

sounds to me like there was plenty of reasons, Fender. If you read the topic and rules, you would know that you're not supposed to ask about the server in the #swgemu channel.

It only takes 2 seconds to join the #test channel and look at the topic yourself. You don't even have to join the channel either. You could've just typed /topic #test to see.

Your laziness does not make it someone else's fault for your problem.
As far as banning people for breaking the rules goes, I agree. But it says, "permanently banned." I've had plenty of conversations with my wife, when she was moderating IRC for COHemu off and on, and they would just kick people from the channel. They only put an actual ban on them if they were being repeat offenders. And they did/do have problems with most of the same questions we have here.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiox View Post
This thread would've been more fun if Ultyma posted it.. give you more of something to throw at, I actually want to hear his opinion on how 'well' this is progressing. btw posting a Q&A doesn't exactly fix everything, it answers questions in more of a vague perception. Last time I could recall you said you had things working but you didn't specify if it was the dummy server or the emu. A Q&A doesn't fix it at all, presenting your accomplishments to the point where they're even 50% to 100% working and showing proof of it is what will get people talking. Every 2 or 3 months we end up finding a new video on youtube where you guys run some little test we have no idea about, and it presents nothing.. I mean.. what the hell? I think the main issue is because you don't present it well enough for people to even have faith in what you're doing.
The Q&A is a start though.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaff View Post
As far as banning people for breaking the rules goes, I agree. But it says, "permanently banned." I've had plenty of conversations with my wife, when she was moderating IRC for COHemu off and on, and they would just kick people from the channel. They only put an actual ban on them if they were being repeat offenders. And they did/do have problems with most of the same questions we have here.
I think the permaban is very extreme. More simpler a ban for 2 days gives them a chance to use the forums to find the information they need
Old 04-05-2007, 02:01 PM

Well, I just got banned for saying 'Thats harsh...' Because another guy got banned for asking what JTL stood for. :\
Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Guess results vary... so far i've seen people getting kicked / banned for virtually nothing, and other times i have seen people getting let off even though they are obviously being abusive.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: