SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 PM

Out of curiosity, how much does the 100MiB pipe and the servers cost per month?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExile View Post
100MiB pipe
Just so you know, you've asked a very different question than what you think you asked. Bandwidth is measured in bits, not bytes, and MiB is part of the IEC and IEEE's attempt to redefine "megabyte" by fiat. Pushing 100MiB/sec would need a connection of nearly a gigabit, 10 times what's being talked about here.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oru View Post
Yeah, it's not the hardware the problem but it can lower our costs if we don't have to rent them. Those donated servers have yet to arrive as far as i know.
oooo cant wait
Old 09-27-2009, 11:59 AM

I feel this is more then a worthy cause for people (including myself) to start donating too, as for the login issues, just be patient mates - its well worth the wait imo.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 PM

Do you guys need more servers?
Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanechart View Post
Do you guys need more servers?
You should PM or email Ekaika about this.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 09-26-2009, 03:39 PM
QA Community Tester Team (On Leave)

well you can expect 20/month from me once this thing gets kicking. hopefully people will do the same. Tons of effort and countless hours have been put into this project
Old 09-26-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlane View Post
well you can expect 20/month from me once this thing gets kicking. hopefully people will do the same. Tons of effort and countless hours have been put into this project
agreed
Old 09-27-2009, 01:26 PM

What percentage of the bandwidth is being use for the client updates? Would if be effective to host these files at an alternative location? I have bluehost account where I could upload the files as an alternative location to free up the main server bandwidth if that is an issue.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand4505 View Post
What percentage of the bandwidth is being use for the client updates? Would if be effective to host these files at an alternative location? I have bluehost account where I could upload the files as an alternative location to free up the main server bandwidth if that is an issue.
I kinda wonder that as well... would abusing BitTorrent help, perhaps? If that's done it'd be nice if there was an ability to limit bandwidth on the client end. I wouldn't mind some of my bandwidth being used for that, but if I use BT unrestricted on my little pipe I notice that everything else slows down, too. If I limit it I can leave it open w/out worry.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:08 PM

Hey folks. I am new to the community so I'm not well versed in what is going on with the project. I was wondering how the server is set up at the moment, though. I ask because it seems that a project like this should be based upon grid computing to better handle serve load and enable for a greater up time.

I am currently teaching myself programming and plan on tinkering with the source code on my Linux VM, but I wouldn't mind looking into lending resources if that is possible as well. Either way, this looks like an awesome project and I hope I can help it along.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 PM

im also not able to conect but i can get in2 my char menu then it wont conect 2 game
Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 PM

It is called the "Bottle Neck Syndrome".

Bandwidth is like the neck of a bottle. Filled with water, is the Users. The neck is the B/W available. Try to empty the bottle in one shot, isn't possible (technicaly speaking, breaking the bottle means breaking the system). So time is necessary to make the water flow until the last drop. Again, think now of infinite quantity of water in the bottle, it never ends.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:49 PM

Okay sent one
Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 AM

doh!

too bad I'm moving to the states in about a month or so.. got a 100/100 connection here in sweden (really cheap over here btw, like 30 bucks or something a month, could even get a 1k/1k connection for 100 bucks a month) that I won't be using at all that I could have set up a server on...

surely there must be other ppl around with too much bandwith and the annoying need to build a new computer each year or so giving them the opportunity to dedicate a 1yr old gaming computer as a full-time server?
Closed Thread