SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

View Poll Results: Do you support a full wipe of TC:Nova?
yes 603 63.27%
no 350 36.73%
Voters: 953. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.20 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Basically if you're saying the OR is a few months away from what we have now, why aren't we waiting for the OR? If you wipe it now i'm sure you will lose quite a few people until the OR is finally implemented, it seems pointless in every aspect unless you're 16 years old and are tired of getting killed by kids with amazing weapons.
The people that won't leave are the people who know that there isn't and has never been a game like pre-cu SWG. Anyone who truly admires what this game has the potential to be should realize that this needs to be changed. It is very important that there be few jedi, it is even more important that the existing jedi can't be killed easily. Most people will realize how much more fun it is for everyone to be on the same page again. Like i mentioned before, a bigger raise in the xp rate would be good to let people grind back to their proffessions at less time than before. It would also make up for all the glitched npcs that can't be attacked or despawn right when they are about to die, which accounts for about 1/3 of NPCs. I say total wipe, and please try and make CH work, CH could be the perk that this game needs right now, to end some dependency on groups.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 AM

I vote..

I will lose all the beatifull Intiruse Ore I have Gotten..

But who care..
Jedi's will have to regrind... Boo whooooo.... ROLF..

The economy is more stable.. and everyone will have to regrind... As if that is hard to do...

SnowT
Old 04-26-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitomortis View Post
Maybe not implement the blue frogs, but would it be possible to give some kind of boost to the community after the wipe?
Professions only with no items or resources would be fine, if that can be done, and would pose no risk to the 'economy' that some folks were concerned about.

Yeah, it'll be incredibly amusing watching a master rifleman tooling around with a CDEF for a week or so till some crafters start getting resources sampled and back into production, but it'll save a ****ton of time that otherwise serves no beneficial purpose to the testing process.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamune View Post
Professions only with no items or resources would be fine, if that can be done, and would pose no risk to the 'economy' that some folks were concerned about.

Yeah, it'll be incredibly amusing watching a master rifleman tooling around with a CDEF for a week or so till some crafters start getting resources sampled and back into production, but it'll save a ****ton of time that otherwise serves no beneficial purpose to the testing process.

I like that idea. BLUE FROGS that only give skill boxes and NOT items. Seems a fair compromise that would keep the crafters and PvPers happy until OR.

Plus you wouldn't need 100000 artisans sampling non-stop to get grinding resources for crafting profs.

sig by yaki

Last edited by Mahonra; 04-26-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyGrain View Post
The people that won't leave are the people who know that there isn't and has never been a game like pre-cu SWG. Anyone who truly admires what this game has the potential to be should realize that this needs to be changed. It is very important that there be few jedi, it is even more important that the existing jedi can't be killed easily. Most people will realize how much more fun it is for everyone to be on the same page again. Like i mentioned before, a bigger raise in the xp rate would be good to let people grind back to their proffessions at less time than before. It would also make up for all the glitched npcs that can't be attacked or despawn right when they are about to die, which accounts for about 1/3 of NPCs. I say total wipe, and please try and make CH work, CH could be the perk that this game needs right now, to end some dependency on groups.
i honestly dont think you realize that this wipe really doesnt benefit the server or the progression of the emulator at all. even with a new jedi system, ppl are going to figure it out and post guides on the forums in a few months time. at the moment we already get double xp. Also, CH will come with or after the OR and not before.

I don't think there is any compelling reason to do a wipe before OR and I think there are some strong reasons not to. None of the changes proposed will have any significant beneficial effect on game play as it is currently experienced on Nova. Given that the OR is a completely different code base any fixes performed on Nova are in effect wasted effort at this point.

Duping and exploiting occurred throughout the lifetime of SWG and indeed every MMO I have seen, I doubt the SWGemu is in any different. It is a constant battle between developer and exploiter which never ends. If another duping exploit is uncovered post the fix will we get another wipe.

To those that say it is TC and players should expect to lose progress that is only half true.
At present if you want to play SWGemu there is only one server, players have no choice but to play on Nova or not at all. It's not like the old TC in SWG where you chose to play and test and be wiped but had live servers to play on as well.

Now I have only recently rediscovered SWGemu and whilst I knew that come the OR there would be a wipe, that was still a ways off and it was worth my while grinding out some professions and some credits because I would get to reap some reward from the time invested.

I can live with a wipe at OR becuase I get to start over on a shiny new version of the game that will be demonstratably better than what's on Nova presently.

Most players on Nova will derive no discernably benefit from the proposed minor fixes
and the OR development is not enhanced in any way.

Whether another player has 200 million credits of dubious origin or not doesn't effect me greatly when I know it will all vanish at OR.

If the devs want to attract more players to try out SWGemu then it makes more sense to leave the economy where it is, rather than blast it back to the stone age. Not everyone enjoys playing from ground zero. Those that do will get there chance when the OR is complete.

I VOTE NO to the change.

I agree, if there is going to be a wipe give us frogs with skills only. Seems fair to me I can't see any real reason for us to all waste time re grinding. That won't solve anything just waste more of everyone's time and energy.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahonra View Post
I like that idea. BLUE FROGS that only give skill boxes and NOT items. Seems a fair compromise that would keep the crafter and PvPers happy until OR.
I agree with you agreeing with me. Skills only- no items!

Now that is settled, you can change my vote to YES!
Now all we need to decide upon is what the frogs will look like after the wipe.
I'm thinking a bit more awesome.

Last edited by Lamune; 04-26-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 AM

I'm for, given that the profession Jedi will be unlocked.
And it will be possible to give you a folder with the profile so you can restore my players? I learned a lot of professions and do not want to lose it all ...
Old 04-26-2010, 03:07 AM

I don't see how the goal of testing will be benefitted by sending everyone back to the starting areas and content. If this is truely a test center, then testing the playability of various features and zones should be more important then whether or not the economy is fair.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:07 AM

From a personal standpoint I would like to keep the character I was working on (8 master profs @ 1 month in). However, if the only readily available & fair solution to fix the known issues with the economy, loot, game-play or whatever is a server wipe then so be it.

I could be incorrect but from what I understand in order to wipe items/credits it would require accounts being handled on an individual basis which would be time consuming.

Dropping blue frogs for a bit and keeping the exp multiplier (or even increasing it for like 2-3 weeks) in place like we already have will likely smooth the transition if you guys decide to do it.

It might even result in better guild/group organization, player crafting and actual PvP since I've seen little to none of it on this server.

PS- Those black & yellow frogs pictured somewhere will wreck your day if you decide to touch/lick them.....
Old 04-26-2010, 03:12 AM

And even if the players would be impossible to restore, then put on the last day of the Gungan and to be able to take his profession Jedi, so many players rejoice)))
Old 04-26-2010, 03:16 AM

Well...

A few hours ago I made Master Ranger, and was well on my way up Rifleman. Did that all legitimately.

However, I did all that with the knowledge that this is a test server for a game that could be wiped at any time...

On The Economy:

The economy in the game right now does seem very off-balance, with multi-million credit purchases seemingly flying left and right at the high level, and that level seemingly being unreachable.

The fixes proposed do seem like they will at least temporarily prevent the kind of artificially altered economy the game currently finds itself with. If nothing else, it will allow us to see that credit/resource/item/etc duping methods still exist, and fix those accordingly for the OR. It may also indicate that further "credit sinks" need to be added to the game, to counter inflation. Impossible to say with the current claimed credit duping.

On Jedi:

The amount of Jedi is really a fundamental problem WITH Star Wars Galaxies Pre-CU, not just the emulator. It's an arguably elite class, with what so far has been a "guideable" unlocking system. Those who achieve Jedi quickly reveal the path information, and then a massive part of the player base begins a Jedi grind, which some dislike.

The end result though is a large number of an arguably elite class, in a game with PVP, and in a game set in an era where that elite class is supposed to be in hiding and all but wiped out. In Pre-CU SWG this irked the player base, and it seems to irk the player base here too.

What will "fix" the Jedi situation that some see as unacceptable? I don't know. It's difficult to imagine an "Unlock" system that will please everyone. I have confidence in the Emu devs, but it will certainly take testing.

Which brings me to my conclusion...

It seems to me vital that the economy and Jedi system of the game be tested to relative stability BEFORE the official release.

Imagine if you will that credit duping abounds one year into the official release. Do you wipe the server then when you can't say "Well, it's a test server..."?

Surely, the poll would not be leaning toward "Yes" if it were posed at that hypothetical time, not when people have invested so much into an experience that they trusted would be preserved.

What if the Jedi system proves ineffective and too large a portion of the player base only plays to achieve it? Again, it's too late to justifiably do much about it once they're there. Those players earned the character on a server meant for general play.

Better to test the Jedi system and economy fixes NOW, before the official release.

So I say yes. Let's wipe TC:Nova and implement those changes.

And since everyone seems to have a little "Well, if you fix this...", here's mine.

If it's not too much time and effort to do so as to delay OR, if the script for creature sizes could be altered to avoid microscopic Banthas and invisible Worts, and released as part of these fixes, I feel that would be a TREMENDOUS benefit to the feel of the game while we wait for OR.

... I'm so tired of seeing tiny tiny Banthas.

Last edited by Traxian; 04-26-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:17 AM

having a general idea of when the wipe would happen heavily weighs on my decision (if that's been posted somewhere, sorry, but there are pages and pages to sort through). i don't want to play if we're going to be wiped in a week, 2 weeks, even a month. it would be a waste of time to me. however, i just started playing again (i quit shortly after the CU came out) so i guess my viewpoint is slightly different from others who are used to this sort of situation.

majority speaks, though, and it almost seems indefinite to me. so please, if you're going to wipe, put in blue frogs for novice professions so i'll be tempted to play every now and then.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiz View Post
i honestly dont think you realize that this wipe really doesnt benefit the server or the progression of the emulator at all. even with a new jedi system, ppl are going to figure it out and post guides on the forums in a few months time. at the moment we already get double xp. Also, CH will come with or after the OR and not before.
There is no guide to becoming a jedi my friend, holocrons tell u like 4 proffessions u need then there are 1-2 MYSTERY professions for your toon. The key is NOBODY knows what profession to master to unlock a fs slot.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: