SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Bi-Weekly Updates

Notices

Bi-Weekly Updates Bi-Weekly Updates are SWGEmu's cornerstone updates, posted every two weeks.

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Developer
DeveloperAdministrator

SWGEmu Big Update 11/21/2007

Hey Everyone.

First and foremost I want to apologize for the few updates over the last couple months. We have all been rather busy with real life issues but have still found time to continue working on the server. That being said, many of the lingering crash issues have been fixed and the core is stable as it has ever been.

Now, A little while ago I said there was big news coming for this project and rightfully so, there is.

We have discussed this very thoroughly and have come to this conclusion.

SWGEmu will be going partially open-source in the near future.

It will not be the same mess that was Core1.

The way we have decided to do it is this.

SWGEmu is made up of 2 parts. Engine3 and Core3.

Engine3 will remain closed source, but available for download as a static library included with Core3, as it is the backbone and framework for the server that we guard very carefully, as it is being used for other projects as well.

Core3, which is the SWG framework will be made open source and freely available to be checked out by the public.

With it being open source, we hope to gain new developers with new insight on how to do things, also it will allow this project to get completed faster than if it was just us 4.

Source code written for Core3 by the public will be submitted through our submission platform (probably trac), at which point we will test it on a private server and if it remains stable enough, we will commit it to the public svn.

Developers who contribute alot of their time and code will be welcomed onto the team and given the ability to commit code directly to the svn themselves.
(After passing certain quality/control tests from our current team of course)

We are currently accepting resumes from prospective developers who wish to join the team right away. Please forum PM them to Me, Oru, TheAnswer, Ramsey and Seaseme.

Over the past few months we have noticed the intensity that once existed for SWG has dwindled to a near halt. We feel that this course of action will lead to the survival and continued success of the first and best Pre-Combat Upgrade Star-Wars Galaxies server.

Comments? Suggestions? Requests?

Post them here.

Last edited by Ramsey; 11-21-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added resume stuff.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:44 PM

hell yeah
Old 11-21-2007, 02:44 PM

2nd! And WOOT thanks ultyma
Old 11-21-2007, 02:48 PM

Nice, its exciting to see a big update like this after so long!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:53 PM

leetsauce.

Hopefully now, the handful of people who have posted asking if you guys need help with developing core3 will now get the chance.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Inactive Developer

I like this idea. Hopefully more programmers will be able to contribute in a meaningful way and accelerate the project. I'd also like to see more cooperation between the different projects (sharing info, ideas, learning experiences, maybe some code trades).

I believe project progress and fan interest go hand in hand. There has not been a major addition to the TC since vehicles and interest has been dropping since then.

I'm still very interested in pre-cu, I've been making some advertisement videos for my future chef business... but I've been "depressed" with the lack of visible progress on the emu lately. Let's get this **** movin'!

Last edited by Anakis; 11-21-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:04 PM

This is big news, hope it helps the team out. Be careful of ****heads trying to sneak backdoors into the system, of course I don't need to tell you that.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Client Developer
Developer

Whoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 PM

gonna look into c++ (i dont think it wont be too hard with Java experience)
Old 11-23-2007, 01:13 AM

The hype isn't dwindling. There are still plenty of people who stick around, but pretty much everything that can be said has been said. Going open source and new updates will certainly spark new interest in the program, though.

Great job!
Pace' Ekif- Krayt Killer
Old 11-21-2007, 02:45 PM

Sounds good! But don't think you have to apologise we understand that you all have actual lives other than the emu and for that we are thankfull that you are putting your spare time into this project! I just wish I new something about programming so that I could help.

And they're doing a damn good job of it.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:03 PM

Very professional post Ulty. You've gained alot of respect from my side over the last year.

Good work team, hope to see more updates in the near future.

Last edited by Shineh; 11-21-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: deleted quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Commendable I must say.

We obviously don't know what aspects are 'engine' and what are 'core' (as it was always called core3 as a whole to us before now). So is the core going to be everything haven't sorted out and the engine everything you've already done? Or is it more modularly explainable than that?

Is there a promise of it staying SVN or will it be closed from there when you have what you want?

I'll say again, I think this is a great step forward and wish all teams would make all their code public, though I know that won't happen

Good luck with this guys.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:37 PM

great news
i hope it will speed up the project

Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 PM

Good decision.

As time has gone by people are slowly drifiting away from the project. Currently nothing I have played beats SWG Pre CU. But if the project drifts through 2008 without a release the playerbase is likley to dwindle as more MMORPGs are released.

I applaud any attempt to speed up development at this point. We are all full of gratitude for what you guys do. But the patience of people is as is shown by reduced site activity not infinite.

I would love to see a developer who does nothing by populate areas correctly, especially cities and POI. This would start to give people something to see and a reason to test. I'd run around looking at Biggs and Jabba, Fingrin Da'nn etc. A mob of the week to find would be fun. Just anything to motivate people.

As always grateful and hopeful.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6344

Remember, there is no meat in cake and if we were not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: