SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:04 AM

Zomg its swg

OKAY so i remember this game since i was 8 then it just fell into a pit... sad face... now because of the wonderful workers of SWGemu I got to relive childhood one last time. For at least 3-4 hrs. I love you guys.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:06 AM

ZOMG SWG pre cu....played 3 to 4 hrs....AND I JIZZED IN MY PANTS
Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 AM

Glad to have you juds welcome to the Emu.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:35 AM
Developer
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettman View Post
the Everquest Emulator people have similar problems with their loginserver, it is a vulnerability in the netcode as a result of the reverse engineering process one of the former devs from that project now one of the devs of EQ2emu http://eq2emulator.net has fixed the problem with their login system his sn is image you can get a hold of him here http://eqemu.devnoob.com Im not sure how he did it but he implimentd some major security upgrades to the login server and since all soe games use the same netcode maybe you can talk to him hes a pretty good guy and will probably tell you how to shore up the LS Security. Hes prety much an expert on the SOE netcode encryption and protocols.

as for DoS attacking you cant get more lame then that. Im not a huge fan obviously but seriously if your reading this please know that you are a fail of epic scale.

BTW programmers are hackers crackers are the script kiddies that do DoS Attacks and crap like that please dont confuse the two
The attack wasn't on the login server.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 AM

i have absolutely no clue of programming.... but i have a question u may answer with ease,...

can the emu project, or the servers provided by you guys, made save against such attacks? i mean is there a way to block such attacks?

and,... cant u see the attackers IP or something? can u track this mofo down, and prevent him doing it again?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRush View Post
The attack wasn't on the login server.
Oh... well crap it was an idea atlast, though that makes it even more lame.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:21 AM

Its gotta be SOE or another pre cu project who did this, if i remember correctly this isnt the first attack on swgemu.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wint3rz View Post
Its gotta be SOE or another pre cu project who did this, if i remember correctly this isnt the first attack on swgemu.
We prolly shouldnt go down that road...
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 AM

I highly doubt SOE Would bother doin it that way one they are a major corporation and the FTC And FCC Would come down on them pretty hard for illegal activities, furthermore they have no issue ordering Cease and desist orders if they want something shut down, and in truth even though they cant do much LA Can if they really wanted to.

More likely is that it was just some script kiddie with too much time on their hands
Old 09-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Retired Game Master

It doesn't necessarily even have to be because of who we are, it could be because of what we are: a website with nearly 100,000 registered users. If someone wants to make a name for themselves that is one means to that end. I am not saying this in any official capacity, it is more of me saying that I do not think that any assumptions should be made in such a situation.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbwbb View Post
I am not saying this in any official capacity, it is more of me saying that I do not think that any assumptions should be made in such a situation.
QFE. Let's agree that talking about this is not productive. Let's all be patient until the problem is fixed and show whatever support we can for those hard working souls on bringing it back up for us to test (and play!).
Old 09-15-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongandbeer View Post
i have absolutely no clue of programming.... but i have a question u may answer with ease,...

can the emu project, or the servers provided by you guys, made save against such attacks? i mean is there a way to block such attacks?

and,... cant u see the attackers IP or something? can u track this mofo down, and prevent him doing it again?
1.)Is there anyway to see the IP or the source of the denial-of-service attack?
2.)Even with high security and IPS measures, do DoS attacks still have a virulence to them that they could still be a threat?

DoS attacks are cyber-crimes, and I doubt SOE would do it as others said, as its got too much riding on it in a legal perspective if they do, not to mention negative publicity Sony will have to cop for it. I presume SWGemu would naturally have great security measures in place already so it will be okay.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 AM

there is always one
Old 09-15-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtyron View Post
Edit: Some do it for money as well, of course.
How does one make money from being a *****?

just curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongandbeer View Post

I'm far from an expert on the matter, but I'll try to answer these question.

a server can be protected, but only to a certain degree and never 100%, especially when it comes to protecting a public website from DDoS (Harder to separate DDoS connections and normal player connections) as far as I know there are only two defenses against DDoS, selective filtering of incoming connection which I doubt is possible to implement on a public website, or getting a new hardware + bigger bandwidth to handle more simultaneous connection - but its expensive and wont help if the attacker can match the limit.

As far as the attackers IP, generally it is possible to get an IP of the attacker, but only a fool will show his real IP. if the attackers has abit of sense and a basic understanding of how the Internet works (which, if he does DDoS I assume he has) then he will mask his identity either with some form of proxy, or dont participate in the attack directly and rather just have a botfarm do the work.

so all an IP ban will manage to do is block the proxy or block the botfarm (which might be comprised of innocent players like you and me) - not a very good solution.

p.s

I hope that whatever ***** decided to do the DDoS, gets his computer utterly destroyed.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Just a comical thought on who the culprit could be:

Last edited by Wen Talross; 09-15-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: