SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Developer Chat Logs

Notices

Developer Chat Logs Once a month, on the second Saturday, at 7PM EST, we will hold an open Developer discussion on IRC. The logs from these chats will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:45 PM

Max Rocks!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:08 PM

Speed Hack

I just want to make sure I fully understand this.
So my sudden rubberbanding is being caused by a attempt to stop a speed hacker.
But, I am rubberbanding even if I try walking.
This is being cause by my internet connection and computer?
So, i may be accused of speed hacking because of that?

Just want to know for sure.
Anyone able to help settle my mind?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:10 PM

The rubberbanding is fine, if it's slowing down hackers, that's a good thing. I know manny combateers find it annoying though. With current resources, I applaud having an anti-hack system at all. A suggestion I have to make is to make rubberbanding on a smaller scale. For instance let's say you rubberband every 10 m. It would be favorable to the player base if it was reduced to 1-3m. Of course I'm not sure how to do this but I'm not a good programmer myself. Thank you devs and GM's.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Curious

Is this speed hack catching affecting crafting slow loading as well???
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galpar View Post
Curious

Is this speed hack catching affecting crafting slow loading as well???
Nope, that's just lag
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryanya View Post
Nope, that's just lag
Thank you

Seems to be doing better tonight on the lag, and only rubberbanded about twice tonight.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryanya View Post
The rubberbanding is fine, if it's slowing down hackers, that's a good thing. I know manny combateers find it annoying though. With current resources, I applaud having an anti-hack system at all. A suggestion I have to make is to make rubberbanding on a smaller scale. For instance let's say you rubberband every 10 m. It would be favorable to the player base if it was reduced to 1-3m. Of course I'm not sure how to do this but I'm not a good programmer myself. Thank you devs and GM's.
Rubberbanding is good if it really only affects the people who hack.

But if it affects everyone it isnt good anymore.
I get rubber-banding like hell atm. nearly impossible to play/test

Edit: Combination of Dizzy, Lag and Rubber-banding makes impossible to test for me, at the moment. I hope this issue is on high-priority.

Last edited by Alegis; 10-16-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 PM

This may or may not be the right thread for this but here goes.

I had a potential idea to streamline the fine tuning of the Anti-Hack, run a seperate server just like the current one but giving 1 mil creds for training and only 1 planet available, have a one week 150-250 person application period where you pick people based on region and connection speed (to account for all types of lag). Once the applicants have been narrowed down for who will help test/fine tune give about 1/3 of the people a speed hack grade speed of varying degrees. Then tune the AH so only the folks with the souped up speed get rubberbanded.

That way we dont have do deal with the rubberbanding while trying to test and the problem is still solved in the end, and so what if jim-bob gets jedi with his hack, theres bound to be another wipe and he's bound to be caught.

P.S. For the record, right now I cant even move 5 feet WALKING half the time because of the AH system, kinda hard to test when you cant move at all .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current toons: Redheaded Stepchild, Das Craftinator

My spore name is DarkMandalore ( http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/DarkMandalore ) if anyone wants to see what I've made, widget wont work in sig.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 PM

I can't do anything ingame anymore. It was kinda slow when I first connected but just before I logged out I walked to a mission waypoint, stood on it for 20 seconds waiting for it to update, and suddenly rubberbanded back 568 meters. The "don't use travel biscuts cause it makes it worse" idea kinda goes out the window when you already have 4/0/0/0 scout, I feel bad for the rangers right now.

I honeslty don't believe permabanning people for hacking is a bandaid, I think the rubberbanding is. With the lag that's been goin on lately and the rubberbanding on purpose it takes too long to do anyting to have a testable environment. Two weeks ago there were the same amount of people online, and people speedhacking apparently, and I didn't notice much lag at all except some spike or when in buisy cities, now I can't get a mission to update. Personaly, I think banning the hakers is good, keeping the rubberbanding in is bad. Mabey I'm biased because my character rubber bands like crazy every time their terrain negotiation takes effect anywhere but how are we supposed to test scout, ranger, squadleader, bountyhunter, CH, excetera that requie scout when the scouts can't move?

Yes, I do realise I can be an argumentative B... child of unwed parrents, but this whole week I've realy been trying to be patient and the problem keeps getting worse when I'm logged in, except yesterday, when I had a steady 2803 ping for 3 hours and nothing even hiccuped asfar as lag.

the turely sad part is I'd rather be logged onto an EMU when I can't do anyting on it than playing any other game out there smoothly. What the heck is wrong with game designers these days?

If your argument begins with the phrase "I don't think" please stop and do so before making it.

SgtMaj(ret) E'Mokho Aewi
Fate 10
Strike Force Justice

Last edited by Emokho; 10-16-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:21 PM

so if u have a crappy connection, u are most likly going to ruber banding all over the place. that happen to me the other night i was banding back and forth between 3 differnt places, then i gat lagged out of game. Also, what about scouts who have the first tree filled which lets them have higher land navagation then other?
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblader03 View Post
so if u have a crappy connection, u are most likly going to ruber banding all over the place. that happen to me the other night i was banding back and forth between 3 differnt places, then i gat lagged out of game. Also, what about scouts who have the first tree filled which lets them have higher land navagation then other?
Not sure I remember reading it right, and admittedly I didn't read every post, but i think it was stated that the worse your connection, the better off you are. No idea why that is, I think whoever brought it up explained it though... All I know is my old 56k might be getting some love.

Anyway, it's pretty interesting coming back from a week of Midterms to this. Really pissed me off hearing about the first speed hacker, and the idea that there were dozens... I'm really glad to hear you guys are cracking down, even if there is rubber banding issues... (Admittedly, I havn't had a chance to try and play through the rubber-banding, so I don't know just how bad it is. :/) Ah well, I've nothing to really add as of yet. Cept to "lol" at Botswains bit. :P

Also, anyone tried just holding shift, and walking from place to place? Not trying to be a smart-@$$, just wondering if it works.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 PM

i have 1-2 minutes dealy in combat
Old 10-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Well I haven't even been able to connect to the galaxy for whatever reason, so I'm denied any testing revenue. Even if I were able to log on, with the buzz of the lag problem, I don't think that I would be able to get much done anyway.

I guess this is one of those times where it's best to just lay dorment, hang back, and let STAFF take care of things...unless if I were to somehow magically become STAFF, which then I'd have to help out. I would love that sort of thing, but until I get that privilege, I think that the best thing would to simply sit out for some time.

XBOX LIVE tag- Roaring Turttle

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GO GO POWER STAFF-TEAM! In MMO world, STAFF=GOD
Old 10-18-2009, 12:55 AM

What would you actually do if you 'magically' become staff?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amitrov_Derinth View Post
Also, anyone tried just holding shift, and walking from place to place? Not trying to be a smart-@$$, just wondering if it works.
I need to see you walking thousands of meters.
Have fun if you need the Lok PoI "Adi's Rest"
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: