Notices

Announcements Major Project Announcements

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 04:05 PM
President
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

Divided we fail. The future of Pre-CU

I think it goes without saying that there has been more than enough unnecessary drama surrounding this project. Officially, the SWGEmu team has grown out of the unprofessional practices of the past, and has no desire to bring up, contribute to, or create new drama, which brings us to the purpose of this post.

Over the last few years, the community has fractured and splintered into groups of people heading down different paths but all in the same general direction. Our aim is to put the past, in the past, and work toward a better and more unified community. Pre-CU will take much longer than is desired without us having a common goal. We want to thank Lordcorm for first voicing the sentiments of hope for unity that many of us share. The members of the team here at SWGEmu unanimously support a united community for the development of the SWG Pre-CU MMORPG.

We would like the entire SWG emulation community to know that the SWGEmu team is wiping the slate clean. We strive to have no more grudges, no more enemies, and no more juvenile affairs. If we have wronged you, please accept our apologies. If you have wronged us, please accept our forgiveness. Furthermore, even if you were, are, or think you might be, an "enemy", we extend an olive branch to anyone who wants to be a part of a unified effort for Pre-CU.

As a result of the fracturing, we see many trends that take away from the productivity we could share as a united community. For example, the fact that ideas and research are pooled on every individual server community forum instead of being shared in a central location. One single place is needed where the ideas and research can actually be more than just conjecture by involving the entire community at once. Professions are discussed and debated everywhere, but implementations can not be made possible if the people creating the technology are not part of the discussion. Individuals are reinventing the wheel three fold because of proprietary documentation and isolationist views. People seem content to just sit in their communities and just wait for someone to bring something to them rather than being part of the driving force. There is strength and knowledge in numbers and no single person knows 100% of the Pre-CU, so it is in the best interests of the SWG Pre-CU MMORPG to bring everything into a united community.

The benefits of unification toward a common goal are quite simple. While people are hoarding resources forcing others to cover the same ground, development is slowed. If everyone becomes a contributing member pushing for one purpose, united in a belief that everyone wants an accurate, stable, and supported server package, then all the small victories for individuals and groups can be combined into large victories for the SWG Pre-CU MMORPG.

At this point, believing that there is still a "contest" to get the first or best server is a waste of time and resources. We should be working together with one purpose and together showing the gaming world what they think is impossible can be achieved by a unified community. The SWG Pre-CU MMORPG free emulator can become a major player in the commercial MMO world with the support of everybody.

Many of you may wonder why we have a closed source engine. It is simply because Engine 3 is destined for great things. The Star Wars Galaxies emulation project, while personally important to each of us, is the first step in what will be a long an prosperous path for the engine. Each of the developers working on Engine 3 have a burning passion for Pre-CU, and for the gaming community. The Star Wars Galaxies emulator gets the unique distinction of being Engine 3's rise to fame. What does this mean for the community at hand? We are not content with the mediocre, and are here for the long haul.

If you are and individual or a group who have had conflicts in the past, and want to talk about cooperation, please contact. Seaseme, Kyle, Smusatto, or Ramsey via IRC (irc.swgemu.com:6667) or forums.

Thank you,
The New and Improved SWGEmu team

Kyle (previously mustangcoupe69)
Launchpad Enhanced: Making client setup simple <-- This fixes 99% of problems. Use it.
Client Setup Guide
Old 06-05-2008, 04:08 PM

This is epic. Amazing.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:09 PM

This was an overall great post. Thank you for posting this Kyle, I think everyone should deeply take this to heart and consider it. If we want Pre-CU we cannot be divided.

Oh and SECOND!!

(Sorry couldn't resist it.)

Saber Trails Enhanced Mod | SWGEmu YouTube Videos
Maximus | Mona | Mau
<DOOM>
Old 06-05-2008, 04:09 PM

here! here!@
<OASIS> 4 LYFE <PIT> My first love never forget!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:12 PM
bean89032

About time someone said what most if not all of us were thinking, Awesome post kyle, /kowtow.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:18 PM

very cool
Old 06-05-2008, 04:20 PM

Location: In your browser, eating your cookies. (Dundee, Scotland, UK)
Great post Kyle, just wish it was ya 600th lol u were just 1 off :P
Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Retired Game Master

I completely agree that people seem content to just sit in their communities and just wait for someone to bring something to them rather than being part of the driving force.

Hopefully this will encourage people to participate around here more instead of just posting in the off-topic forum.

I hope to see everyone in the Profession forums soon.

Keep up the great work team, you have a supporter in me.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 PM

Ha, this makes me wanna become active again.

/kudos
Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 PM

i definitely agree with the gesture of this post, and sincerely hope things change for the better. that being said, i think the 'splintered community' is largely a result of SWGEmu's uncertainty about hosting a server. Nobody wants to put a ton of effort into supporting a unified community because as soon as the Emu is finished, the community will break up into different servers again. Nobody wants to make real efforts to develop new content because the Emu team's answer is always "it will depend what serer you're on". I think a unified community is of vital importance, but i think the community needs to know there will be solid ground to land on before they take a leap of faith. No disrespect meant; just a hypothesis as to why the community is the way it is.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:30 PM

Unite, and speed it up!
Quote:
Yoda wasn't all like, "Size matters not... but there is like a stamina meter thingy." No way.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM

does this mean zenophile may come back
Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM

It's so great to see the entire team maturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by togno
does this mean zenophile may come back
Honestly, that'd be just epic. Think of how fast progress would be made with yet another developer coming back?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Retired Moderator

/vader
Impressive....Most impressive
/vader

I always wondered whether or not I'd been tagged "Enemy" by the emu group...but meh, *takes olive stick anyways*

I've always found any group amazingly interesting for having the brains to be able to pull of what everyone has done. My only regret was having to break ties with some of my best friends, who've I've met in real life and gamed with each other and fragged others with. Great times at PDXLan.

Anyways....yeah, i'm not going all weepy on you all, just good luck. And I'll be poking my head in more and more.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:42 PM

Olive branch accepted.

"Good, good, everything has gone as i have foreseen it..."

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: