SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.80 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 11:55 PM

My problem isn't with him helping you guys by far, but moreso if he's allowed to come back the concern of him doing this again and it being overlooked, or him secretly helping his friends out to achieve certain things and being overlooked. I just don't think it's acceptable to allow these people back into game and possibly do what they got in trouble for to begin with.

Odissa: Master Image Designer/Master Tailor

Arihanna: Master Rifleman/Master Combat Medic

Blutsaugerin: Master Doctor

Making gamers out of moms since 1996'

http://www.alloutassault.net
Old 10-19-2009, 12:00 AM

I guess this isn't a rule then
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33216
Old 10-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozsnoop View Post
So much for zero-tolerance.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 AM

Rubber bands are the future.

Coming soon to an auto dealer near you... The Rubber Band powered automobile.

Then soon to follow.. Rubber Band powered Windows servers.

The possibilities are endless!

As far as the policy goes, I can understand it. However, giving Staff positions to griefers who don't even grief fair... it is very confusing. Not as confusing as NGE, but pretty damned close.

And I could probably come up with 100 nice things to say about the nameless one, but the fact remains .... blah, like you really care.

Whatever, thanks for all the work on Emu, you rock, etc.. etc.. etc.. Hopefully the community can get past it. Congrats on restoring faith in the integrity of the community.

Last edited by Yhor; 10-19-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneImportant View Post
So much for zero-tolerance.
no see this is the exception to the rule. When your buddy buddy with acouple of the top devs and you go cry to them for being banned for legit reasons its ok cause we aren't gonna let our boy stay banned and will let him do whatever he wants without having to worry about getting banned in the future.

The person i feel bad for is Max. He did a great job with how he handled the griefing and exploiting and now caue of aushors buddies he gets off without even a slap on the wrist a nice new promotion and a grief and exploit whoever whenever cause we don't give a damn what anyone else says card.

Tusken
Roodypooh
Spy
Ichigo
Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodypooh View Post
no see this is the exception to the rule. When your buddy buddy with acouple of the top devs and you go cry to them for being banned for legit reasons its ok cause we aren't gonna let our boy stay banned and will let him do whatever he wants without having to worry about getting banned in the future.

The person i feel bad for is Max. He did a great job with how he handled the griefing and exploiting and now caue of aushors buddies he gets off without even a slap on the wrist a nice new promotion and a grief and exploit whoever whenever cause we don't give a damn what anyone else says card.
^This!
Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Angry

at first plz stop calling em hackers they just cheater/scriptkids nothing more. if y need more infos about the definition of a hacker read ..

click me

me too

and me plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Of course we do.
ok if y have 1 then let the sploiting kids test there so i dont have to deal with them again!

Suddenly last summer.
I started going out if my head.
In a tiny hotel room.
Lying naked on the bed.
I knew what you were doing. And i knew what you'd done.
Your life with me was ending. Your new life had begun.
But i was cursing your name. And i was cursing that room.
And i was praying for the strengh, to stop loveing you.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:03 AM

It does seem like this could be a huge problem if he is let back into the community. I've already had +5 people on vent and more in game talking about quitting if this happens. It seems like it could put a huge damper on the community if this is allowed for Ashor, and other people.

Odissa: Master Image Designer/Master Tailor

Arihanna: Master Rifleman/Master Combat Medic

Blutsaugerin: Master Doctor

Making gamers out of moms since 1996'

http://www.alloutassault.net
Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GestorterEngel View Post
It does seem like this could be a huge problem if he is let back into the community. I've already had +5 people on vent and more in game talking about quitting if this happens. It seems like it could put a huge damper on the community if this is allowed for Ashor, and other people.
sadly this is the same talk goin on in our vent and i'm sure when the rest get on and hear about this alot more will say the same thing

Tusken
Roodypooh
Spy
Ichigo
Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodypooh View Post
LMAO so basically for hacking AND GRIEFING people in the community who were trying to get thier jedi get rewarded with a kiss and given a position on the staff again.

So much for the change you guys were implimenting....faith unrestored
fixed.

This move is almost as good as SOE announcing the NGE.

So does this mean if I was to pioneer a hack/exploit, get what I want... then tell you about it and help you prevent anyone else from doing it, i would be rewarded with a staff position too?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Inactive Developer

As we are still in the Development phase, I don't see a zero-tolerance policy on exploiting being very helpful. From a Development perspective, we NEED players to find these exploits and hacks and inform us about them, so that we can code the server to prevent their use in the future live servers, like Thoop said.

We cannot have players being afraid to find and report such things out of fear of being banned/deleted. We all know that once this is live, there will be plenty of those types hacking away and disrupting play on a live server if they can. We need to find and fix these issues before we get there.

We are definitely not giving the green light here for the exploiters to run wild. What we are saying is that you won't be banned, no questions asked, if you perform an exploit on the TC.

How I interpret this policy change is like this. It is okay to perform an exploit on TC as long as:

1. Your actions are not griefing other players.

2. You immediately (and privately) report all details of how you performed the exploit to the appropriate staff and do not tell anyone else about it.

3. You DO NOT continue to perform the exploit on the TC, even after reporting it.

You find it, you report it, you keep quiet about it to your friends and you don't use it again.

Unfortunately, we have had staff members misbehave in the past. If you think that Staff are not watched for these sort of things, you are mistaken.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakis View Post
As we are still in the Development phase, I don't see a zero-tolerance policy on exploiting being very helpful. From a Development perspective, we NEED players to find these exploits and hacks and inform us about them, so that we can code the server to prevent their use in the future live servers, like Thoop said.

We cannot have players being afraid to find and report such things out of fear of being banned/deleted. We all know that once this is live, there will be plenty of those types hacking away and disrupting play on a live server if they can. We need to find and fix these issues before we get there.

We are definitely not giving the green light here for the exploiters to run wild. What we are saying is that you won't be banned, no questions asked, if you perform an exploit on the TC.

How I interpret this policy change is like this. It is okay to perform an exploit on TC as long as:

2. You immediately (and privately) report all details of how you performed the exploit to the appropriate staff and do not tell anyone else about it.

3. You DO NOT continue to perform the exploit on the TC, even after reporting it.

You find it, you report it, you keep quiet about it to your friends and you don't use it again.

Unfortunately, we have had staff members misbehave in the past. If you think that Staff are not watched for these sort of things, you are mistaken.
You think ashor immediately reported the explot everytime he hit his speed hack keybind? Also he did not just do it once. both of these making it not okay for what he did by your own words.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Inactive Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostwain View Post
You think ashor immediately reported the explot everytime he hit his speed hack keybind? Also he did not just do it once. both of these making it not okay for what he did by your own words.
I am not familiar with the details of what any one person or guild has done, so I can't really comment on his particular case.

But like Kyle said, they approached said persons and gave them the option to cooperate for the good of the project or be banned. It reminds me of how some of the most infamous hackers are hired by the companies they hacked, as security consultants.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I am not familiar with the details of what any one person or guild has done, so I can't really comment on his particular case.

But like Kyle said, they approached said persons and gave them the option to cooperate for the good of the project or be banned. It reminds me of how some of the most infamous hackers are hired by the companies they hacked, as security consultants.
This; Stop being drama-queens.

FERRIS BUELLER
SUSPICIOUS PERSON
ALEXISONFIRE
Old 10-19-2009, 02:02 AM

...including ban time, a zero tolerance policy, and then weaseling there way back into the game.... are some still able to play at all?

While many many other players are still chugging out rumors?

They may not have pressed a magic button and unlocked, but speed hacking sure sped the process up a lot faster then those of us who unlocked legit, and those who are still trying.

Quote:
From a Development perspective, we NEED players to find these exploits and hacks and inform us about them, so that we can code the server to prevent their use in the future live servers, like Thoop said.

I fully understand we cant have players afraid to report things out of fear of being banned....

I fully understand this is a touchy topic and there truly cannot be a form of perma banning those who exploit on accident or to test and report.......

But cheating on purpose without reporting it only to "see the light" and turn around and mulipulate a way back in? Thats the cheaters mentality..... the end does not justify the means in those cases.

Its one thing to stumble upon, or test something to see if it can be exploited AND THEN REPORTING IT....

Its another thing to defraud the system with intent.

Purposely digging through the source code with intent, or using 3rd party programs, no matter what the excuse or knowlege gained does not warrant reinstatement...at best let them play when released after thinking over what they have done to alienate themselfs by cheating.

come on does this sound reasonable?

defendent - "excuse me your honor, but, but, this is how I robbed the bank"

judge- " oh great thanks for telling us, this will better the banks security in the future, not only can you return to society, but here keep all the money you stole to"

most games ask the non-cheating community to look for and inform of any cheat programs or exploits and hmmm BAN cheaters...its a well known working way......some even reward those who report 3rd party programs that could be used to exploit a system.

When you let people back for exposing how they cheated so they can regain what they earned because of their greed, you are indeed giving them and others the geen light.

The only thing I'm afraid of is saying stuff and instead of it being took for what it is, in hopes it could shed some light onto things as a devils advocate.......that hardships are seen and I am punished for my words.

where is the Thunderheart of the swgemu?

Where is that someone to hear and stand up for the community reguardless of which side the community and devs take and voice the concerns of the community?

take a poll, you will be surprized of the outcome I am sure

"zero tolerance ???????? "

Im sorry but this has the "good ole boy network" written all over it and is just setting the stage for lost hope in the future.

(now remeber, one has to look outside the box at all angles when approaching a delicate matter such as this, so please dont hold this personaly against me......)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Hence the unequivocal and absolute change to the policy. Clarification so we can remove people that abuse it permanently in accordance to the policies.
I am confussed.... wasnt that the purpose of the zero tolerance in the 1st place?

Last edited by five9; 10-19-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Closed Thread