SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Retired Community Deputy Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetsunaNexus View Post
I don't mean to sound negative, but i have been watching this website and the up-status closely and as soon as the server went up there were 500 peoples on it already within the minute. and we couldnt get in...

Now I'm wondering... I guess we'll never be able to get in like this.

It's good to see such a service exists, but your community exceeds your quota of MAX players by far.

I was specifically asked to check out this game, but for the last days i haven't exactly been able to get in. So I am wondering what to tell my teammates for there is a whole bunch of dutch gamers and game testers wanting to test this PRE CU and support this community.

"Goodluck with the server, and GODSPEED."
As this isn't a live play server, our primary focus is not on making the test environment max user capable. Our primary focus is a clean stable code-base. We certainly want everyone that would like to experience our project to have an opportunity, but we're not in a live game situation yet.

For those groups waiting to play a live game, post 1.0 release will see many servers pop up around the world. There will then be a place for everyone to play.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetsunaNexus View Post
I don't mean to sound negative, but i have been watching this website and the up-status closely and as soon as the server went up there were 500 peoples on it already within the minute. and we couldnt get in...

Now I'm wondering... I guess we'll never be able to get in like this.

It's good to see such a service exists, but your community exceeds your quota of MAX players by far.

I was specifically asked to check out this game, but for the last days i haven't exactly been able to get in. So I am wondering what to tell my teammates for there is a whole bunch of dutch gamers and game testers wanting to test this PRE CU and support this community.

"Goodluck with the server, and GODSPEED."
When I saw "So I am wondering what to tell my teammates.." I wanted to seriously find you, and somehow try to shove the knowledge that this is a "TEST SERVER" into your head. Instead of complaining about how you and your friends can't get in, find a way to throw a couple bucks to the servers so they can be upgraded to raise the server cap. If you want to "support this community", you aren't doing it by whining.

No, I am not one of those people who managed to get in, I haven't logged in for the last couple days, same as the rest of you.

Of course there's going to be many more people interested in SWGEmu than the number of people that can fit onto the server without it crashing. Especially after a huge update which got even more people wanting to play.

If you can donate through Paypal, do it. I wish there was a way you could donate besides Paypal, since I dislike their service fees, but oh well. If I could write a check/send cash, I would.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:35 PM

2days no connection woot

AlottaFaffin
Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonx2040 View Post
When I saw "So I am wondering what to tell my teammates.." I wanted to seriously find you, and somehow try to shove the knowledge that this is a "TEST SERVER" into your head. Instead of complaining about how you and your friends can't get in, find a way to throw a couple bucks to the servers so they can be upgraded to raise the server cap. If you want to "support this community", you aren't doing it by whining.

No, I am not one of those people who managed to get in, I haven't logged in for the last couple days, same as the rest of you.

Of course there's going to be many more people interested in SWGEmu than the number of people that can fit onto the server without it crashing. Especially after a huge update which got even more people wanting to play.

If you can donate through Paypal, do it. I wish there was a way you could donate besides Paypal, since I dislike their service fees, but oh well. If I could write a check/send cash, I would.

I officially second your suggestion regarding alternate payment methods. I don't have Paypal yet (even if I were to get one in the near future, that's being rather ambitious given my current position in life and I'd still have to fill it with money like any bank account), but I still wanted to give money for upgrades and stuff. Seeing that 500+ surplus of money can REALLY go a long way in expanding the gaming experience such as hardware upgrades as suggested previously. If money's an issue, we should all do our best to solve that problem. It's the least we should be able to do as game-base fans; just a lot of us are unable to provide the capital because of this limitaion and/or we simply don't have that much to spare. Otherwise, we should be seeing this forum loaded with gold bar stacks.

XBOX LIVE tag- Roaring Turttle

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GO GO POWER STAFF-TEAM! In MMO world, STAFF=GOD

Last edited by Master Chief; 09-28-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand4505 View Post
What percentage of the bandwidth is being use for the client updates? Would if be effective to host these files at an alternative location? I have bluehost account where I could upload the files as an alternative location to free up the main server bandwidth if that is an issue.
I kinda wonder that as well... would abusing BitTorrent help, perhaps? If that's done it'd be nice if there was an ability to limit bandwidth on the client end. I wouldn't mind some of my bandwidth being used for that, but if I use BT unrestricted on my little pipe I notice that everything else slows down, too. If I limit it I can leave it open w/out worry.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:08 PM

Hey folks. I am new to the community so I'm not well versed in what is going on with the project. I was wondering how the server is set up at the moment, though. I ask because it seems that a project like this should be based upon grid computing to better handle serve load and enable for a greater up time.

I am currently teaching myself programming and plan on tinkering with the source code on my Linux VM, but I wouldn't mind looking into lending resources if that is possible as well. Either way, this looks like an awesome project and I hope I can help it along.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 PM

Strange.. Just got a "connection has timed out", while waiting to connect. after waiting for about 10-15 minutes.

TC Nova characters
Shilo Trutta Master Doctor
Quequag Master Rifleman, Master Swordsman, Medic 113x
Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo View Post
Strange.. Just got a "connection has timed out", while waiting to connect. after waiting for about 10-15 minutes.
Not that unusual, try again...

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
I officially second your suggestion regarding alternate payment methods. I don't have Paypal yet (even if I were to get one in the near future, that's being rather ambitious given my current position in life and I'd still have to fill it with money like any bank account), but I still wanted to give money for upgrades and stuff. Seeing that 500+ surplus of money can REALLY go a long way in expanding the gaming experience such as hardware upgrades as suggested previously. If money's an issue, we should all do our best to solve that problem. It's the least we should be able to do as game-base fans; just a lot of us are unable to provide the capital because of this limitaion and/or we simply don't have that much to spare. Otherwise, we should be seeing this forum loaded with gold bar stacks.
I use PayPal from here in Australia, and it works perfectly when donating. You simply designate the amount, in translates it into US dollars and goes from there. I get no account charges, no nothing, only when I am sending it overseas, or converting currency (i.e. into US dollars). Reason they use it as far as I see is because of its simplicity in design. It is done electronically, saving the need for someone to go somewhere to put a bunch of money/check's into a bank account. As I am a uni student, I don't get that much money, but when I do donate it simply comes out of my bank account via a transfer, and then from paypal into the donation coffer. Its a simple process with no worries added onto it. You do not require a tonne of money on there, it is a facility for you to put money on from your bank when you are willing to send it elsewhere - think of it as a go-between from your bank to the donation-receiver.

Security is great as well, as the site is secured and they have 24 hours fraud surveillance, and its double secure especially if you have a great security system on your computer. You can triple on that by changing your password regularly and doing the personal security measures, if one is the type to panic. Paypal also sends you a receipt to your email, and SWGemu does a one up on that and sends you a receipt to your inbox. In reality I can't see it getting any better. If your net isn't good perhaps have an alternate service, but if you have the internet (in order to play the emu you will need it), then paypal is easy as 1-2-3.

https://www.paypal-offers.com.au/personalaccount.asp - Thats what a personal account is to open it.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM

I'd have been less excited about the recent influx of population if I knew they'd be obstructing us long-time testers from playing.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:34 PM

Yeah no joke. Think we could get a waiting list for players who's accounts have logged a certain amount of hours to get VIP access or something?
Then answer this, are you just going to sit back and wait for someone else to defeat Brittania? Who? You think if you think if you wait, some day the right chance will just come? Don't be naive! If we don't stand up and do it ourselves that someday will never come!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:58 PM

if anyone should have VIP access it should be the donaters, which would give more people a reason to donate. i recently started playing about 2 weeks ago..at least for the first time in a year or so. any no i havnt donated, i would love to be able to throw a couple bucks but i dont have a paypal and money is short in this sucky economy. It seem every weekend for the couple weeks i been playing its been like this though. it'll slack up during the week.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnrue View Post
if anyone should have VIP access it should be the donaters, which would give more people a reason to donate. i recently started playing about 2 weeks ago..at least for the first time in a year or so. any no i havnt donated, i would love to be able to throw a couple bucks but i dont have a paypal and money is short in this sucky economy. It seem every weekend for the couple weeks i been playing its been like this though. it'll slack up during the week.
That's a great idea. It'd be a good way to fund the server and keep the players happy at the same time.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Yeah I hope, and on top of that with the servers dealing with the sudden exponential increases in people, the updates, the bugs they're working out and all the other stuff they're over loaded with it's really no surprise it's being a pain right now. But yeah I definitely agree, there should be some kinda VIP access for doners so they can get on.
Then answer this, are you just going to sit back and wait for someone else to defeat Brittania? Who? You think if you think if you wait, some day the right chance will just come? Don't be naive! If we don't stand up and do it ourselves that someday will never come!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
Not that unusual, try again...
I'm curious. One time I was sitting and waiting, I believe I had gotten my timed out message. Yet, not long after the message popped I loaded in anyway.

Anyone confirm that you remain in the queue even after the timeout occurs?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: