SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 07:36 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanechart View Post
Do you guys need more servers?
You should PM or email Ekaika about this.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 09-24-2009, 07:49 PM

Okay sent one
Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 AM

doh!

too bad I'm moving to the states in about a month or so.. got a 100/100 connection here in sweden (really cheap over here btw, like 30 bucks or something a month, could even get a 1k/1k connection for 100 bucks a month) that I won't be using at all that I could have set up a server on...

surely there must be other ppl around with too much bandwith and the annoying need to build a new computer each year or so giving them the opportunity to dedicate a 1yr old gaming computer as a full-time server?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNode View Post
too bad I'm moving to the states in about a month or so.. got a 100/100 connection here in sweden (really cheap over here btw, like 30 bucks or something a month, could even get a 1k/1k connection for 100 bucks a month) that I won't be using at all that I could have set up a server on...

surely there must be other ppl around with too much bandwith and the annoying need to build a new computer each year or so giving them the opportunity to dedicate a 1yr old gaming computer as a full-time server?
I get this connection for about 30 bucks a month USD:

Is that better or worse than yours? I live in the US so just wanted to compare.

Saber Trails Enhanced Mod | SWGEmu YouTube Videos
Maximus | Mona | Mau
<DOOM>
Old 09-25-2009, 08:29 AM

I also pay around $30.00 a month

Vaevictus Asmodi MBrawler/TKM/Stacker

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:38 AM

ya i cn never get on nova the last week r so iv been anble 2 get on 4 a total of 30 mins
Old 09-25-2009, 08:46 AM

well, it obviously depends on where your packets are going it seems like your connections are not synch'ed, which would be preferred for a server.
I'm talking about a 100mbit/100mbit (down/up) connection in the 'city-net' (part of the infra-structure) which is connected to the hub in my University, the Royal Institute of Technology, which is one of the 2 main hubs in Europe, which then would connect to the London hub (the other one) and then to NYC, which would give you roughly 140-160 ping if you were to connect from the States, obviously a 1Gbit synch connection (even if it were to give ppl in the states 140-160 ping, i.e. things would be delayed by .14-.16 seconds) would be very nice if there were thousands of ppl in the same place at the same time, the bottle-necks wouldn't be on this side of the line.

I'd offer my computer and connection here, but I would be unable to help out if anything were to happen/a restart were needed etc, and my mother would probably disapprove if I were to leave it on for a cpl of years while my fiancee and I live in the states
(yes, I moved back in with my mother after I accidently spent waaaay too much money in latin america)

But surely there must be someone out there that has a one or even 2 yr old computer with 8 or so gigs of ram etc and the ability to get a 1Gbit synch'ed (and not shared) internet connection that once upon a time played SWG and would be willing to have a server running at their house?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:51 AM

Consumer-grade connections are not suitable for serious server use and thus comparing their pricing to prices for real commercial links is useless.

Consumer links lack redundancy, reliability, service level agreements, etc., they're in your house, not a climate-controlled datacenter with redundant power feeds, and finally, most ISPs will cut you off if you try to use your home internet connection at anywhere near its full capacity 24/7 (and yes, this applies even to supposedly "unlimited" connections; check your terms of service for words like "excessive" and "interfere" and "sole judgement").
Old 09-25-2009, 08:57 AM

many of my friends with similar connections have no problems leaving their computers on with file-sharing/torrent-programs 24/7 for months... guess it's different in the states?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 AM

(obviously the dl won't be maxed out when having those types of programs on 24/7, but trust me, 100Mbit/s upload is not enough)

things might be different on the country-side here, but ppl have been able to get 1Gbit connections for many many years now in the capital where I live.

It's the consumer's market over here, if it's not good enough ppl change to another ISP, the infra-structure is already there, so they can't charge more for it than the other companies and claim that they're faster, so it's all about which company is the cheapest.

Obviously there are exceptions, some ppl might live too far away from the center of the city to have access to the city-net, forcing them to use DSL, cable etc instead of fiber... but if you're in the city-net you just need to pop in your LAN cable, pick the provider you want to use and the speed you wish to pay for and you're done.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
many of my friends with similar connections have no problems leaving their computers on with file-sharing/torrent-programs 24/7 for months... guess it's different in the states?
Just because the program is running doesn't mean the packets are getting anywhere.

The _beginning_ of commercial-grade connections is _guaranteed_ (with substantive financial penalties for the provider not meeting that guarantee) of 99.98% uptime, corresponding to less than 9 minutes of downtime in a 30 day period.

A good connection runs at least 99.99%, or <5 minutes. Higher end you'll see 99.999%, and in some places you'll see contracts requiring 100% uptime, and believe me, when the providers fail to live up to those guarantees, it hits their pocketbook very directly.

This is just uptime. Even the cheapest commercial link also has some basic latency and packet loss guarantees that few consumer connections could ever hope to meet, much less guarantee.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
things might be different on the country-side here, but ppl have been able to get 1Gbit connections for many many years now in the capital where I live.
Gigabit fiber to a home is almost unheard of in the US (actually, fiber to the home at any speed is still fairly rare). Consumer connections exceed 50mbps down and 10-20 up in only very isolated areas of the country -- and I do mean isolated; we're not talking about a few major cities, we're talking about some towns that have done their own municipal loops.

It wouldn't matter, though. Fiber is not magical. It's extremely high-capacity, but it's every bit as vulnerable to outages as copper wire.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 AM

is tc server offline right now!!!! I cant connect to the server....just right now when i was playing it for the first time.......
Old 09-25-2009, 09:30 AM

well, I doubt my ISP has any guaranteed uptime, all I know is that my apache server had 0 minutes of downtime during the 3½ months I had it up, mind you, this is fiber connected straight to one of 2 hubs in all of Europe...

and here's the thing, you're talking about 10 minutes a month, who really cares about 10 minutes a month if the servers are probably going to be down about 2-3 hrs a week for maintenance anyway? wouldn't it be better to have 10 extremely fast servers with no guarantee than 1 slow server with a guarantee?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui-gon-rui View Post
is tc server offline right now!!!! I cant connect to the server....just right now when i was playing it for the first time.......
Check the server state on the left of the screen, also forum rules imply not to ask

The server state on the left shows if the server is online or offline, jou can also see in in the LPE.

Hope this aswers your question with enough info.

Last edited by markie1979; 09-25-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: origionaly wrote LHE instead of LPE, lol damed typo's :P
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: