SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Game Master and Event Coordinator
Community Team

[NOVA] 9/18 Connecting to Galaxy...

As some of you may have realized, when you attempt to log-in your characters you may be stuck at "Connecting to Galaxy...".

This is due to the User Cap being implemented at 600 simultaneous characters to help keep the lag that users are experiencing to a minimum. Although we can support far more users, we do use a shared bandwidth connection for Nova, and thus at peak times our bandwidth capabilities are being spread out, and things may become a bit laggy.

Please be patient and attempt to log in as much as you can, and thanks to everyone who has been pushing our Test Center to its limits!

Thanks,

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:08 PM

That explains it, I have not been able to get in for 4 days. Guess I'll just have to keep trying. Anyways any idea of when or if the limit will be increased?? just curious is all. I reinstalled took 7 hours on 56k because I thought maybe it was on my side, maybe you all can add a note when the server is full to the login screen so folks know its full or something. Just my few cents worth.

At any rate excellent work all, glad to see things are going as well as they are and I'm very appreciative of all the teams hard work I know this task is nothing short of humongous.

cyas
Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Alright. Is it an idea to restrict multiple characters online at once? Or 2 max?

"It's a dirty job but I figure someone has to get rich doing it, and one way or the other, that someone is going to be me."
Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
That explains it, I have not been able to get in for 4 days. Guess I'll just have to keep trying. Anyways any idea of when or if the limit will be increased?? just curious is all. I reinstalled took 7 hours on 56k because I thought maybe it was on my side, maybe you all can add a note when the server is full to the login screen so folks know its full or something. Just my few cents worth.

cyas

Look on the Front Page here. Right hand side, it has Network Stats. Lists how many users are on Nova. If its over 600, try again
Old 09-18-2009, 04:15 PM

Just 600?

With the way the server population seems to be expanding, I can see this becoming an issue.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:16 PM

Quick question. If we are stuck at connecting to galaxy, will it connect when a spot is free, or do we need to keep going back to char select?
Old 09-18-2009, 04:17 PM

im not going to lie i dont like this idea seeing as only 600 people can join the server now and this is a big community now probably not even half of the community can join the server now

Old 09-18-2009, 04:19 PM

lol I would love to look at the messages on the side of the site however my 56k connection does not load half the things on the site and my sat connect is down. All I was saying was to add a "server full" message to the login in screen to avoid confusion. Not a bad idea I didn't think, would help us with less fortunate connection. Where I live I cannot get cable/dsl so I have no choice
Old 09-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Makes sense. Glad to get some login time when I can. Played a good deal today since I was off work. I'll take a rest during peak. Give someone else a shot.

Thanks for the heads up. Good to know these kinds of things. Even if it isn't necessarily good news, it's just better to know. Might prevent a few tantrums.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Forum Moderator

When the server goes live the cap will not be at 600.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

I think disabling multiple instances would make room for everyone to log on. But i guess that's not that easy to do at this point.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 09-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Game Master and Event Coordinator
Community Team

The implementation of the 600 user cap has nothing to do with our codebase's capabilities.
The lag (and thus the cap) is due to it being peak bandwidth usage hours (US-wide) at the moment, and we use shared bandwidth (as dedicated costs tens of thousands of dollars). When the internet is not so busy with end of day/end of week banking and market transactions, the amount of users able to play on our Test Center without lag increases dramatically.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyshorts View Post
Just 600?

With the way the server population seems to be expanding, I can see this becoming an issue.
Here is the thing..... this is a TEST SERVER. Lets say it again together, TEST SERVER, people dont seem to understand this. Right now the devs have decided 600 people is plenty, to TEST the server. You are not supposed to PLAY on a TEST server you are there to stress the server and progress thru the content to check for bugs. If your looking for a PLAYABLE server you will need to wait for Suncrusher, or other servers to go live.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevan View Post
Look on the Front Page here. Right hand side, it has Network Stats. Lists how many users are on Nova. If its over 600, try again
Ok smarty pants...

Left side of the screen:
TC: Nova

Right side of the screen:
SWGEmu Forums: 196 Users Online
Nova Test Center: ONLINE
SWGEmu IRC: 273 clients Online

Status page:
TC: Nova (Online)
Members
Now connected: 171 | Maximum was: 239
Accounts
Active: 14530 | Deleted: 641
Uptime
Server is online for a 12:20
Last status check was 11 Jul 2009 at 23:20
Old 09-18-2009, 04:36 PM

*insert reason #2432532 to donate to the project*

This has been a public service announcement.

Brought to you by: The Fruity Oaty Bar

Last edited by lunatec; 09-18-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: