SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:35 PM

I'm pretty sure I am causing the crashes... every time I track down a high concentration of a resource I really need, the server goes down just as I set down to start mining it. The game obviously doesn't want me to do armorsmithing
Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM

Um i have a kinda of topic question.
When they are working on the server are the actually there by the server or doing it over the net? I would think they are by the server sense when it dead locks it will be kinda hard to reset sense its probably are working at 100%. Which leads me to ask, is the server located at someones private residence or in a server park?
Maby there is a post telling the specs and what not but i haven't found one, and again sorry for of topic. Im just so curious
Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 PM

lol, im glad they are bug squashing, the more they do that the better game we will play, i can wait it out

EDIT**
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafole View Post
Um i have a kinda of topic question.
When they are working on the server are the actually there by the server or doing it over the net? I would think they are by the server sense when it dead locks it will be kinda hard to reset sense its probably are working at 100%. Which leads me to ask, is the server located at someones private residence or in a server park?
Maby there is a post telling the specs and what not but i haven't found one, and again sorry for of topic. Im just so curious
ive been sooo curious about this also, just felt it would be a little much to ask
Old 09-17-2009, 08:54 PM

ha ive been waiting to play the original since i got cut off by my parents start of 8th grade. Im graduated and am still itching to play it again. Cheers to the devs for all the work they've done, something i doubt id ever be able to finish
Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerves View Post
lol, im glad they are bug squashing, the more they do that the better game we will play, i can wait it out

EDIT**

ive been sooo curious about this also, just felt it would be a little much to ask
IMO, I think that is what really killed the live version of SWG out of the gate. Soooo many people were fed up with the constant bugs, they left and vowed never to come back. That coupled with lack of content and unfinished professions, it really never had a chance. If the original devs had just done something to keep the investors & LA off their backs for even another 3 months (6 would have been ideal), they might have had a better shot. Less bugs, more content, MUCH happier playerbase. They could have bought themselves a little time to hash out the rest of the professions. People would have still been pissed, but it wouldn't have been near as bad.

If the emu devs keep fixing this stuff like they are before they actually release it, they'll make up for the biggest mistake the original had.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippster View Post
Lol, you too eh? I've played 15 minutes over the last few nights. I think the people that work (U.S. time) are going to have a hard time playing because we all try to get on after work and it freezes up.
Heh, I'm starting to feel the same way. My only real time to play is in the evenings CST, and whenever I get on I can only spend a little bit of time before it comes down. Now, I'm not complaining, just commenting.

I guess if Dafole can push the envelope of what's OK to ask, then maybe I can push it a bit further... Is there any way for us to get a general idea/schedule of when we can expect certain things to happen? So far Ekaika has been kind enough to repeatedly fill us in and let us know that the European devs can get around to fixing things 'in a few more hours,' but would it be in the realm of possibility for us to have some general times of when to expect that. I.e. "The hours of 11:00 PM - 2:00 AM and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST are when deadlocking issues are most likely to be resolved." Or some such.

Again, it may be pushing way to far, but I'll risk asking. I fully understand if that's an unreasonable request.

Thanks heaps to all the devs for all their hard work. I appreciate it and hope they pace themselves so they don't burn out. And thanks also to all the community relations members who keep us informed as well as they do.

Just my thoughts,
Poocho
Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDS-91 View Post
IMO, I think that is what really killed the live version of SWG out of the gate. Soooo many people were fed up with the constant bugs, they left and vowed never to come back. That coupled with lack of content and unfinished professions, it really never had a chance. If the original devs had just done something to keep the investors & LA off their backs for even another 3 months (6 would have been ideal), they might have had a better shot. Less bugs, more content, MUCH happier playerbase. They could have bought themselves a little time to hash out the rest of the professions. People would have still been pissed, but it wouldn't have been near as bad.

If the emu devs keep fixing this stuff like they are before they actually release it, they'll make up for the biggest mistake the original had.
i agree. i only hope that people remember that the swgemu devs are not paid employees, as the soe devs were. i know most people who use the forums regularly would think thats s stupid thing to point out, but these guys are doing this in their spare time and it gets me flustered when people get upset about server downtime/etc. (not that anyone has in this thread, but inevitably there will be like 15 "wtf i cant log in" threads. so if anyone reads this and is considering making another, pls dont)
Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 PM

I am so hooked again, my first mmo and it has ruined the others for me. I am so heartbroken by downtime, but I realise it's necessary. I love all involved in the project for bringing it back, now if only I wasn't crawling up the walls due to the deadlocks/code fixes.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 PM

Yeah I would like to take a minute to thank this entire community and those ALL involved in bringing back the undisputed heavy weight champion of the world!! Swg PRE-CU!!!

I am extremely excited just the moments since the patch I could get on were so cool, The difference of the emu now compared to the first time i logged in a few years back is amazing!! Awesome works Devs!!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 PM

For some reason I'm reminded of this

Edit: Fixed video

Aki Oka
Master Smuggler

Last edited by Ashaman; 09-17-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM

LMAO I could not have said it better, so true so so damn true LOL
Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 PM

some asked for server specs....

Originally Posted by cRush
Nope we actually intend on breaking some more stuff

Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEDS-91 View Post

exactly.

The devs spent minimal time going back and fixing MAJOR bugs that should have been fixed before the release, and instead spent most of their resources on crappy expansion sets (minus JTL)

keep your eyes peeled for those "Dank Meds" throughout the galaxy!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poocho View Post
Is there any way for us to get a general idea/schedule of when we can expect certain things to happen?
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poocho View Post
So far Ekaika has been kind enough to repeatedly fill us in and let us know that the European devs can get around to fixing things 'in a few more hours,' but would it be in the realm of possibility for us to have some general times of when to expect that. I.e. "The hours of 11:00 PM - 2:00 AM and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST are when deadlocking issues are most likely to be resolved." Or some such.
I'll go out on a limb and try to answer, with how it's been explained to me. Subject to corrections by STAFF.

A crash caused by a bug or circumstance that does not deadlock the server, will result in the info about the crash being reviewed as soon as someone with the necessary permissions and skills can, and a fix applied as soon as someone with the necessary permissions and skill can.

A crash caused by a bug or circumstance that does deadlock the server, will result in the same. But, there are far less people who meet the permissions/skills needed to get to the info on the deadlock cause... and they live in Europe. So their normal "overnight" hours would be somewhere in-between 6pm CST and 4am CST. There's also other real-life considerations for all of the devs/admins.

So in essence... if it doesn't go down with a deadlock, the odds are better that it's going to go back up quicker than if it does deadlock... but irrespective of how quickly the crash info can be retrieved, it also must be analyzed, and fixed... often needing input from more than just one person.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycheese View Post
i agree. i only hope that people remember that the swgemu devs are not paid employees, as the soe devs were. i know most people who use the forums regularly would think thats s stupid thing to point out, but these guys are doing this in their spare time and it gets me flustered when people get upset about server downtime/etc. (not that anyone has in this thread, but inevitably there will be like 15 "wtf i cant log in" threads. so if anyone reads this and is considering making another, pls dont)
Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriel1972 View Post
I am so hooked again, my first mmo and it has ruined the others for me.
While not my first MMO (AO was, but I only played it until SWG was ready and I got into beta). I totally agree. Nothing has even compared to SWG especially the depth of the game. Vanguard was as close as I found. Still never gave me that "feeling" that I still can't wait to relive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: