SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 10:52 AM

"We're here. Motivated and dedicated"

That's so awesome. What a huge undertaking and amazing story. I can't wait!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggregator View Post
We're all extremely greatful for this, and you guys really are doing an amazing job. Keep it up.
wut he said.

Quote:
Of course, that makes no sense if you don't have an Imperial Breast Crackdown Team to uphold the law...
Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Wow this is just amazing. I used to play allot but i dont want to destroy the feeling by playing half working product. So instead I'm just lurking the forums from time to time, this really makes me happy. I'm extremely impressed of your accomplishment, when this project is done you deserve more then just a thank you thats for sure.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 PM

to be honest pre cu battlegrounds would be extreme
Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 PM

so would most of the nge content on a pre cu platform
Old 03-04-2010, 11:27 PM

Awesome!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 PM

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC) = 204,318
Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 53.32 (639.78)
(Basic COCOMO model, Person-Months = 2.4 * (KSLOC**1.05))
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months) = 2.43 (29.12)
(Basic COCOMO model, Months = 2.5 * (person-months**0.38))
Estimated Average Number of Developers (Effort/Schedule) = 21.97
Total Estimated Cost to Develop = $ 7,202,174

Getting to play SWG pre-CU...PRICELESS.

Thanks to everyone working on the project. I've just recently been able to log in and play on the test server and I'm really amazed to see the progress. Keep up the great work!

Nova:
Ama-Ebi/Unagi/Daja/Raylana/Zahira/Katara/Vivienne
Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 AM

awesome news,...

time to donate
Old 03-05-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelvin View Post
OR News!!! this is a hefty good sign the planets are aligning! in 2012, the NGE world will end! and the PreCU BEGINS!!!
Now THATS what they mayans were talkin abouuuuuut :P

p.s. im stoked as hell too!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 PM

I would love to help in any way i can i have 0 exp coding but i have a few friends who code and one friend (of a friend) works at bioware and mabey i can let him know about this amazing project. But i am trying to track down my old copy of swg so i can help stress test and find bugs in the game id love the qa exp.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosiAtasiar View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's it like looking at the mess of code that SOE made? Even the SOE Devs admitted when they made the NGE that the original game needed to be changed because of all of the useless code.
From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SOE never even wrote SWG to begin with. The Original game that we got at launch was written by most of the folks involved in the creation of Ultima Online. To this day still one of the most open play systems ever created and surprisingly its still running and putting out expansions! (Personally I played UO from 1996-to-1998 when I moved to DAoC) so UO as been up and running for more than 15 years!

The reasons behind the very poor launch of SWG was attributed to the SOE folks not understanding most of the code, thus the reason behind the temporary (nearly 9 month) removal of the death system because they couldn't figure out how to stop someone griffing you by placing a tent on your body and sending it to the center of the game world. (if you couldn't retrieve your corpse after death you lost everything that was on it)

So instead of figuring out the code, the SOE folk decided to rewrite the game entirely with the implementation of the NGE saying that 31+ classes were to difficult to balance. however I had just come from DAoC that also had a large number of seemingly well balanced classes, and Mythic Ent. didn't seem to have any difficulties keeping their game balanced.

And now comes the SWGEmu team and they not only figure out the original game code but write their own server code to run the original client with only minor patches. (Great job btw guys and gals!)

so in closing I'd like to thank the SWGEmu team for bringing back to life the best MMO-RPG I've ever played! And yes I Mean Role Playing Game here people, WOW is an MMOG, not an MMORPG I never see anyone roleplay on wow!
TC Nova
Larken - Pistolier/Smuggler
Nerdykid - Weaponsmith
Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkybob View Post
From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SOE never even wrote SWG to begin with. The Original game that we got at launch was written by most of the folks involved in the creation of Ultima Online.
Where did you get that from?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SOE never even wrote SWG to begin with. The Original game that we got at launch was written by most of the folks involved in the creation of Ultima Online. To this day still one of the most open play systems ever created and surprisingly its still running and putting out expansions! (Personally I played UO from 1996-to-1998 when I moved to DAoC) so UO as been up and running for more than 15 years!

The reasons behind the very poor launch of SWG was attributed to the SOE folks not understanding most of the code, thus the reason behind the temporary (nearly 9 month) removal of the death system because they couldn't figure out how to stop someone griffing you by placing a tent on your body and sending it to the center of the game world. (if you couldn't retrieve your corpse after death you lost everything that was on it)

So instead of figuring out the code, the SOE folk decided to rewrite the game entirely with the implementation of the NGE saying that 31+ classes were to difficult to balance. however I had just come from DAoC that also had a large number of seemingly well balanced classes, and Mythic Ent. didn't seem to have any difficulties keeping their game balanced.

And now comes the SWGEmu team and they not only figure out the original game code but write their own server code to run the original client with only minor patches. (Great job btw guys and gals!)

so in closing I'd like to thank the SWGEmu team for bringing back to life the best MMO-RPG I've ever played! And yes I Mean Role Playing Game here people, WOW is an MMOG, not an MMORPG I never see anyone roleplay on wow!

I read all the way to where you said classes in DAoC were balanced.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
From my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that SOE never even wrote SWG to begin with.
Yes sorry to contradict you but that's incorrect. SWG was created and developed by Verant Interactive, (by this time) a division of SOE - the same team responcible for EverQuest. The only UO connection I know of comes in the form of Raph Koster (Lead Dev of UO and UO T2A) who was Creative Director for the project and worked for SOE until 2006.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:41 PM

well then I stand corrected. It also makes SOE even dumber than I thought they were...
I personally never had many issues in DAoC with class balance, I played for nearly 4 years and had a number of maxed characters ranging from mages to rangers and never felt that any single one was more op than the next... I guess it has to do with personal play style...
TC Nova
Larken - Pistolier/Smuggler
Nerdykid - Weaponsmith

Last edited by Dorkybob; 03-09-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: