SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 1.22 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 02:40 AM

LOL! Ok it's time to let go now!

It is dysfunctional to get so worked up over a video game, however it is worth some laughs.

I guarantee you if the OR was scheduled for release next week people would still be vehemently arguing for a wipe/no wipe on TC.

Life goes on...
Old 04-29-2010, 02:45 AM

Doesn't matter when the OR is finished, looking for bugs is still pointless. Of course things are broken, but less broken than when we used to play tag around anchorhead years ago.

In the end it's a no win for the devs, as wiping will not eliminate bugs for the most part. Then people will cry about that, trying to pull time and resources from OR development to fix things here that will just break again when the OR is released. The difference should be then that fixing the code/database should be quicker/easier.

As for this thread, as Starbuck said:
"DIE! JUST DIIIIIIIE!"
meh

Last edited by Daywolf; 04-29-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatycre View Post
They wanted to help us out, but they also want to keep working on the OR. They thought they could make the time to wipe the server and fix a few problems, however when they actually sat down and looked at what was going to happen if they wiped it, they realized it was going to wind up taking too much time away from their main priority. They just don't think they have the time to fix the TC right now. I understand how much time it's taking them to bang out all this code, and I understand that they want that to be their top priority right now.
I agree with most of your post here, but where I've quoted is where you have it wrong. They stated repeatedly that a wipe of the TC would take away 1-2 days of OR work time. Personally I could live with that if it meant fixing the current problems with the TC. The reason they decided against the wipe wasn't due to taking time away from OR, it was due to disparities in the two polls, they didn't want to create a third poll and the community was very passionate on both sides of the argument. They decided to go with the status-quo here.

If they had come out and said "We don't want to devote time to Nova when we could be working on OR" I think a lot of people on both sides would have understood because I think most of us agree that the OR is a higher priority than our fun on the TC.

Last edited by Worlack; 04-29-2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskool12345 View Post
Oh I read it and find it absurd that they are saying the OR won't be out for another 5 months and that everyone is to just sit here, play on a dead code test center, and deal with broken pvp, duped weapons/items, beyond repairable economy, etc. etc.

If the TC was reset, actual testing could commence again with a revamped Jedi system, a fresh start for crafters, a fresh economy, pvp would be viable once again, etc. Instead we are left with a Test Center in which there is nothing to test and where the dupers can do whatever the hell they want. A revised loot system won't do anything to help.
So the TC is dead code, yet...if you reset it, suddenly it needs a lot of testing? It is the same code, that makes no sense.

This wipe was all about instant gratification. People want to be able to insta-master any profession. People want everything reset so they can play and PvP right now, as if the project were finished. Guess what, it isn't. Don't toss out the word testing as if you mean it, it insults my intelligence.

The wipe had nothing to do the furthering the EMU project. If the devs needed a wipe to test stuff, they'd just do it. That's the last time I explain that.

I'm done posting in this thread. I don't think think I can stand anyone else trying to tell me a player ran economy needs to be tested.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow2k View Post
This wipe was all about instant gratification. People want to be able to insta-master any profession. People want everything reset so they can play and PvP right now, as if the project were finished.
Actually there were two options:

1. Wipe
2. Wipe with Frogs

I for one voted for Wipe without frogs, don't paint us all with the same brush. I quit WoW at WotLK release because the "instant gratification" aspect was out of control, I don't want to see that happen to SWG, even on test. The amount of experience gained right now is already absurd enough.

Last edited by Worlack; 04-29-2010 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Addendum.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow2k View Post
So the TC is dead code, yet...if you reset it, suddenly it needs a lot of testing? It is the same code, that makes no sense.

This wipe was all about instant gratification. People want to be able to insta-master any profession. People want everything reset so they can play and PvP right now, as if the project were finished. Guess what, it isn't. Don't toss out the word testing as if you mean it, it insults my intelligence.

The wipe had nothing to do the furthering the EMU project. If the devs needed a wipe to test stuff, they'd just do it. That's the last time I explain that.

I'm done posting in this thread. I don't think think I can stand anyone else trying to tell me a player ran economy needs to be tested.
I voted no without the ridiculous frogs. If you seriously believe nothing could be tested with a reset then that's your problem. They decided not to do a reset with the only viable excuse being the frogs (which never should have been an option) and that they once again catered to the crying minority of the player base who didn't want to lose their precious Jedi's, not that nothing could be tested (a revamped Jedi system for example).
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
If you seriously believe nothing could be tested with a reset then that's your problem.
Test for what? I still don't see any point in it, even posting bug reports now can only slow them down with other things. Dead code is dead code.

Really, the server does not even need to be up. It's only up so those that have been testing can just play to pass the time until they reach the next development milestone. That's just how things work with such projects, been there done that plenty of times from both sides of the fence.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:16 AM

i dont understand this wipe, havent been around for a long time.

so there will be no wipe when this game goes live ?

is this right ?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:40 AM

When the game goes live (a LONG time from now) it will be wiped. It will also be wiped sometime in the coming months for something called the object restructure.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post

is this right ?
After? Shouldn't. But TC will get it at least two more times, probably more.
To clarify, TC will be ended, so there will be no "wipe" at that point. Theoretically or physically, not the same server. I can only imagine a wipe from that point on would be from a fatal crash, and all the backups were eaten by a rabid Cu-pa.

Last edited by Daywolf; 04-29-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:48 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post

is this right ?
There will be many wipes between now and then. After the OR is complete (OR=Object Restructure, look for reference in my signature), NOVA will be wiped and testing of the new code will commence. We will more than likely have quite a few wipes after the OR and before the launch of SC (SunCrusher).

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Oh I read it and find it absurd that they are saying the OR won't be out for another 5 months
Unless I missed some news, the OR was originally expected to be complete August '09.

Where did you get 5 months from?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinney View Post
Unless I missed some news, the OR was originally expected to be complete August '09.

Where did you get 5 months from?
cRush posted that, but he also said its not an actual ETA only his rough estimate.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 AM

It was originally estimated August 2009. I think it was later estimated to be late 2009 and Suncrusher was actually slated for 2009. Check www.suncrusher.net as it STILL says 2009. I think most people were thinking sometime this summer for OR, but cRush stated in this thread that it's looking like (estimated) 5 months now. That puts it at October 2010.

My personal guess,
OR = 2011
Suncrusher = Fall 2011

Edit: I know there is no confirmed ETA for anything and to assume an ETA from any information from any source would be ridiculous.

Last edited by Worlack; 04-29-2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Edited to Edit to add the Edit and then Edit the Editted Edit. Edit.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

I'm gonna go ahead and lol again. And only for the simple reason that I marvel at the overt hilarious reaction by the horde from each and every development.

You guys should cool down...as fun as it is to go ape**** on a forum, it's not entirely productive, as said forum is inhabited by sheep who sometimes follow the loudest whistle.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: