SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 AM

so, how is the internal testing going ?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkor View Post
so, how is the internal testing going ?
Good question.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:27 AM

I think The Answer should now be called The Awsome Good job devs, i'm looking foward this project!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:26 AM

wicked
Old 09-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

Yeah but from what I see we've reached the hard part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but things have ground down a bit.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaika forge View Post
Yeah but from what I see we've reached the hard part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but things have ground down a bit.
Think your right.
Some small adjustments, more feutures = test and then iam pritty sure they will fine tune the clustering some more ( just guessing since its so hard )
But then its just smoooooth going all the way
*I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.

-Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
Because then you're a mile away, and you have his shoes.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:05 PM

So, basically what clustering is. Is it reduces lag and allows more bandwith to flow thru by dividing the load amongst different servers?

Otherwise ! Great WORK!!!!

Check out my Game! http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/25349
Old 09-03-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycal View Post
So, basically what clustering is. Is it reduces lag and allows more bandwith to flow thru by dividing the load amongst different servers?

Otherwise ! Great WORK!!!!
I believe clustering is more so for the precessors instead of bandwith. More of sharing the calculations that need to be preformed by the processor with several processors and have a master communication plan so each processor knows what its responsibilities are.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Development Director
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

basically the clustering we making will allow thousands of players (depending on the hardware of course, but wont need tens of thousands of dollar for a real cluster box) to be online at once. this is what no other emulator projects have tried so far as much as i know. actually not even SOE did this to SWG or any other title of theirs yet as the way we will so it's definitely not an easy task.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oru View Post
basically the clustering we making will allow thousands of players (depending on the hardware of course, but wont need tens of thousands of dollar for a real cluster box) to be online at once. this is what no other emulator projects have tried so far as much as i know. actually not even SOE did this to SWG or any other title of theirs yet as the way we will so it's definitely not an easy task.
Just asking a question here, but is this really needed? Do you really expect "thousands" of players to be on at one time...and how are communities going to be able to afford multiple servers? How many servers are in a "cluster"? Hardware has really improved since the release of SWG, and it seemed to work pretty well for the most part back then (except for SOE's blunders, most of which you can fix).

Again, just asking if this step is really necessary?

Thanks...

P.s. I assume this would not be an option, but would communities have the option to run a non-clustered server?

Last edited by heynow; 09-04-2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: revised
Old 09-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Development Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynow View Post
Just asking a question here, but is this really needed? Do you really expect "thousands" of players to be on at one time...and how are communities going to be able to afford multiple servers? How many servers are in a "cluster"? Hardware has really improved since the release of SWG, and it seemed to work pretty well for the most part back then (except for SOE's blunders, most of which you can fix).

Again, just asking if this step is really necessary?

Thanks...
of course there will be thousands of players online, we would like to have pretty big servers cause without that pre-cu worths nothing. why we are doing it this way is because if we wanted to make the SOE version of clustering the hosts would need heaps of more servers cause the world was assigned staticaly. btw that was the reason the server died then when there were 100+ players next to each other.

yes the hardware improved a lot but even if you assigned 1 big as quad-core box to 1 planet there would still be a definite cap for players and no dynamic processing is allowed then.

i would say to achieve SOE's standard of 3000 players online would need 10-15 middle line servers
Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Development Director

oh forgot to mention that we dont have to fully finish clustering for a playable version, the advantage of our system will allow it to run on only 1 box. so its good cause we will be able to give you pre-cu a bit earlier and we can still make it big sometimes later
Old 09-04-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oru View Post
of course there will be thousands of players online, we would like to have pretty big servers cause without that pre-cu worths nothing. why we are doing it this way is because if we wanted to make the SOE version of clustering the hosts would need heaps of more servers cause the world was assigned staticaly. btw that was the reason the server died then when there were 100+ players next to each other.

yes the hardware improved a lot but even if you assigned 1 big as quad-core box to 1 planet there would still be a definite cap for players and no dynamic processing is allowed then.

i would say to achieve SOE's standard of 3000 players online would need 10-15 middle line servers
This is all confusing to me, but are you saying for the game to be fully functional pre-cu you'll need 10-15 servers in 'clustering' mode?

"But for many people it is much more than a game - it is a part of their lives where they have invested huge amounts of time building a community. And that community has been based on a sophisticated, mature game. So now, for them to take an adult-level combat and economics simulation and turn it into a mindless game for 10-year-olds is a violation of that community."
Old 09-04-2007, 12:17 PM

no, he's saying to run a server as stable as SOE's that's about how many you'd need, if you wanted to be able to have 3000 characters running around at the same time, or you could have 200 or so characters running stably on 1 middle line server

clustering = ability to spread the the workload of the server over several servers instead of one.

several servers = more stability & higher player cap

though from what I've seen with the player cap on the wow emu, they can turn it up as high as they want, but the server will crash and have to be restarted every hour or so if it's set too high
Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Development Director

yes, one single good server can hold around 300ish players at once, a very good can do 500 or so. that's why we really need to think on a larger scale
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: