SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 AM

<Fenderbean> is server up or down, so I dont have to join the test room
<Fedaykin> did you double click it Eusaet? *rolls*
<LSky`> i never had problems with tre files :/
<Eusaet> yes -.-
*** Fenderbean has quit IRC (User has been permanently banned from SWGEMU (no reason))

sounds to me like there was plenty of reasons, Fender. If you read the topic and rules, you would know that you're not supposed to ask about the server in the #swgemu channel.

It only takes 2 seconds to join the #test channel and look at the topic yourself. You don't even have to join the channel either. You could've just typed /topic #test to see.

Your laziness does not make it someone else's fault for your problem.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
pooga

I got banned on IRC, because I posted EPIC POST on a Racial Sterotype post.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_lowca View Post
we're on Irc, and we discuss topics here, but some of us are just waiting to see some results first.
just what i was going to say, some of us want to see results which have been happening.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Revan Shan

Ask yourself. What would a cu player like me be looking for: lets see... the game its excellent but you have to pay x$/moth. FREE Galaxies! Thas what people should be most looking forward. Tell your friends that emu is free and will log out of cu to play swgemu's precu.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan Shan View Post
Ask yourself. What would a cu player like me be looking for: lets see... the game its excellent but you have to pay x$/moth. FREE Galaxies! Thas what people should be most looking forward. Tell your friends that emu is free and will log out of cu to play swgemu's precu.

CU doesn't exist anymore either. SOE employs the NGE, not the CU. But anyways, I disagree on this idea. Advertising is great, but lets not take pot shots at SOE. One of the many reasons SWGEmu is legal is because SOE doesn't run the game anymore (pre-CU) and thus we're not stealing their customer base. Lets not appear that we're trying to do that regardless.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 PM

azhar thats stupid, there should be no reason u cant ask a simple question! The hole point to this thread was to ask people to ask questions. Why would u ban them for asking a simple yes or no question. Your just proving mine and everyone elses point. Most of us left SOE for this kind of sensorship. Its a chat room you should be able to chat. I can understand why u wouldnt want chatting in the test room since its mainly for developement, but the general chat room in my opinion is for that very reason. If its such a but hurt topic why not add the online/offline indicator to the main room, but hey what do I know right. Why make things hard when they dont have to be?
Old 04-03-2007, 01:51 PM

There IS an online/offline indicator.

You could argue that YOU want to be in, say, #swgcommunity channel and then complain theres no online/offline indicator THERE.

Nobody has to follow YOU around. You want to play the game, then YOU have to click your own buttons. The world doesn't revolve around you.

There are legit complaints here, and there are irrational complaints. Lets not carry complaints too far.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbean View Post
azhar thats stupid, there should be no reason u cant ask a simple question! The hole point to this thread was to ask people to ask questions. Why would u ban them for asking a simple yes or no question. Your just proving mine and everyone elses point. Most of us left SOE for this kind of sensorship. Its a chat room you should be able to chat. I can understand why u wouldnt want chatting in the test room since its mainly for developement, but the general chat room in my opinion is for that very reason. If its such a but hurt topic why not add the online/offline indicator to the main room, but hey what do I know right. Why make things hard when they dont have to be?
Typing /join #test is hard for you?

Hate to break it to you, but it's not to everyone else. You can only put so many characters in the topic of a channel. The test channel is there for a reason. Why not use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar View Post
But anyways, I disagree on this idea. Advertising is great, but lets not take pot shots at SOE. One of the many reasons SWGEmu is legal is because SOE doesn't run the game anymore (pre-CU) and thus we're not stealing their customer base. Lets not appear that we're trying to do that regardless.
I think this poll shows people like revan are few and far between and the vast majority just wants to play pre CU again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar View Post
There IS an online/offline indicator.

You could argue that YOU want to be in, say, #swgcommunity channel and then complain theres no online/offline indicator THERE.

Nobody has to follow YOU around. You want to play the game, then YOU have to click your own buttons. The world doesn't revolve around you.

There are legit complaints here, and there are irrational complaints. Lets not carry complaints too far.
I couldn't agree more. I suspect some of the people who're being irrational know they are. They just want to see what they can get away with. They're getting upset when they find out they can't get away with it. I've seen plenty of people say they got banned for "no reason" when they know they did something to get banned. I ask everyone, so that we may focus on the legit complaints better, please chill with the irrational ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoco View Post
Suggestion 1: More suggestion specific forums. Having 1 suggestion forum for EVERYTHING is absurd at this point. Everyone has suggestions,ideas, hopes etc. but it just falls into the swamp with so many other posts/flames.
Until release, have a Combat Suggestions forum. A Crafting Suggestions forum. Stress Test suggestion forum. A Jedi Suggestion forum. Of course, I've heard it mentioned the reason why this isn't so is because of moderation, which brings me to my second suggestion

Suggestion 2: Stop the moderation and have a more pronounced "Report Post" button for threads so that one moderator could go through and bam bam lock/delete/ban if they need to. Trust me, the community is going to grow so large you guys won't be able to moderate it anyhow, so you had better lay the foundation for a self-policed and organized community now.
I wish it were that easy. Unfortunately, a lot of people mistake the report button for the quote button. Most of the reports I read are people thinking they're responding to a post, but they clicked report by mistake and sent us their reply. If we only relied on that, it would be pretty tedious to sift through all of them for the real reports. Not worth the trouble imo.

Quote:
Suggestion 3: Sticky and gather the constructive posts. You can't stop flame wars, but you can still gleam the concepts and ideas from them and put them into an orderly list.
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2365

Quote:
Suggestion 4: The reliance on the clunky and ancient IRC for this massive project will soon reach the point of laughable. The only client you should expect this many people to have is a web browser and their swg game discs, beyond that you will end up pulling your hair out (if you haven't already)
You could be right. At this point in time, the devs feel it's best that people who're testing be on IRC in the #test channel. This helps them to communicate better with the testers. I know it sucks to have to go through the trouble, but it's really not that much trouble. IRC isn't that complicated. We have a forum and a good guide to help people with it. Pretty much, don't knock it before you try it.

Last edited by Smusatto; 04-03-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:15 PM

its not hard to type, i just think u should not get banned for asking a simple yes or no question. If I would have know it was going to ban I would just went and looked myself. I just downloaded mirc yesterday and thought i would try it out, but hey if the people running the show want to actually put effort into this kind of stuff instead of the game, hey what ever, like I said what do i know right. I will step away from this thread letting you guys do your thing.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:27 PM

The psudo jedi combat that's on core 3 right now just slays me. I hope it's just temporary...

It's like being stuck half as a jedi and half as whatever profession you're fighting as... which turns all combat into "Force Management" bouts.

Last edited by TrueProphecy22; 04-03-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Jesus this thread is long.

I've noticed a lot of people mentioning how difficult it to get irc working for them.

I think it would be helpful if a web based IRC client were hosted on swgemu.com. Something like EIRC would definently make it easier for IRC newbies to get connected.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:04 PM

For FireFox users the following add-on works great in regards to IRC:

ChatZilla

Old 04-03-2007, 04:06 PM

I think there's a fairly simple solution to people getting flamed for questions: just stop flaming them. If someone asks a question that you think is stupid, just ignore the person. If it's on the forums, don't reply. If it's in IRC, act like they didn't say anything. If someone does feel like answering, they will and the newbie in question will get their answer. If no one replies, it's likely this person will look elsewhere for the answer.

This practice is very easy to implement in IRC, although it does have the potential to cause some clutter in the forums. If people rated threads asking questions based on how good they think the question is, developers might be able to save time sifting through useless questions on the forums and instead just look at the highly-rated ones; ones that a large number of people obviously don't know the answer to since the rating is high. Kind-hearted community members could take it upon themselves to answer the lowly-rated ones.

Last edited by Nikkia; 04-03-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admax88 View Post
Jesus this thread is long.

I've noticed a lot of people mentioning how difficult it to get irc working for them.

I think it would be helpful if a web based IRC client were hosted on swgemu.com. Something like EIRC would definently make it easier for IRC newbies to get connected.
Yeah that would be good only problem is how do the mods ban someone if they are spamming or doing something worthy of banning. I ask that because when you connect to IRC through a browser it doesn't show the mods your IP it shows the website your connecting to it through. Bassically its impossible to block/ban people if they are abusing chat privledges.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:45 PM

I have to admit that i tried NGE only for a weeka go...

Only thing that i liked there was that player could put up a bounty for his killer in PvP... That system i would like to see in Emu too. Or even bigger bounty hunting wehere players are paid for hunting other players like smuglers etc...

Problem is not everyone want to take part for PvP so i think you should be take part showmhow to be part of that system.. like accepting BH missions or such...

More Pvp... More Roleplay
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: