SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM

Hi everyone. I am a bitter person that has nothing better to do than post rude comments on an open source game forum. How are you?

Last edited by odwill; 04-06-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Trolling
Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 AM

Forgive my bluntness, but this update worries me. In the development section, there were three pieces of written news, one of which was that "the mail and bazaar systems are being worked on". I asked a question earlier that was missed:

How is development progress (in terms of how much is getting done) relative to a month ago? A year ago? Two?

I'll feel like an ungrateful ass if you guys really are busting your butts, but I feel that this question is worth risking coming off as ungrateful for.

Last edited by Ekowraith; 04-06-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Test Center Director
ManagerAdministrator

It's OK ekowraith. I understand those concerns but consider this: You have to start with the core fundamentals and build the foundation solid before adding the structure above that. Once the core systems have been re-coded the other systems that go on top of that will come more quickly. That was the focus of the developers at the time of this update. You cannot measure the success or progress in terms "how much is getting done" relative to a year or two ago because the code has never been written this way before. It terms of "before" things were done quickly but not always correctly. We had many different people all coding the same sections with very little if any standards. Which all leads us to the need of the Object Restructure in the first place.

Odwill
SWGEmu Test Center Director

Odwill@swgemu.com
| EmuIrc | Helpful Links
SWGEmu -e- Support Support@swgemu.com
SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Thanks guys!!
Rodd's SWG Pre-CU Tales - Updated 10/5/09 - Entry 70b (Page 65)
The Awesome Locations of SWG Thread
Pre-CU Guides & Archives
Pre-CU Game Guides
Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodd View Post
Thanks guys!!
This.

I'm just gonna log into this cool free SWG game world that someone made for me to have fun in.

Go figure. :P
Old 04-06-2010, 11:23 PM

As much as I want to see the OR, the long wait has given me the chance to have fun and experiment with classes I had not played back in the day. I'm grateful for that. Sometimes I get irate because of the bugs. But I don't want to see time wasted on bug fixes for this dead branch of the code. I know that bug fixes and new things will be coming our way fast once the OR is implemented. The momentum of the project was truly impressive in the months before work was started on the OR.

Unfortunately it takes longer to fix something than it does to do it right from the start. But I don't think you can plan a database for an existing game when coding and packet analysis are going on at the same time. And I'm glad they stopped everything to streamline the DB and fix it when they did. It would have been a bad idea to reach 1.0 with a sloppy DB and program.

Thanks for taking the heat to make things right.

If you want to know how to access the test server read the setup guide. Or just download Launchpad Enhanced and let it do the work for you if you already have SWG installed.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

+1 Swgmu. Here here to volunteers.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekowraith View Post
Forgive my bluntness, but this update worries me. In the development section, there were three pieces of written news, one of which was that "the mail and bazaar systems are being worked on". I asked a question earlier that was missed:

How is development progress (in terms of how much is getting done) relative to a month ago? A year ago? Two?

I'll feel like an ungrateful ass if you guys really are busting your butts, but I feel that this question is worth risking coming off as ungrateful for.
I agree. Somebody wake me up when the OR is finished. I can't play this half finished game any longer. No offense.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:28 PM

Well then good news! You don't have to play!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 PM

hey all, Im loving the emu, thanks for all the hard work.

I was wondering if there was anywhere where we could look up the progress, i saw a link a while ago that showed like milestones and stuff.

Keep up the hard work everyone, I cant wait to see how things keep going.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izure View Post
Thanks for the updates guys, you got a true player base, probably more dedicated then any other mmorpg game.

Also to the guy above, I am pretty sure JTL had pvp in spaceships right?
Yes, they did, it was pretty fun, added another aspect to the game. However smuglers ended up learning to overload their drives, which would cause an AOE to wipe out even the strongest ships. Made it kinda unfun.... SOE coulda balanced it but 2 weeks later they did the CU and ruined the entire game. Viva la raza SOE
Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 PM

Is there an idea or sense of how long it might take to put out the OR? I am enjoying the game, but am put off from playing by the fact that it will be wiped clean at some point. Any idea?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 PM

I have tons of idea's...

I postd an idea for possible addition to the game and a bit of a rework of the idea

forget clones, change the focus of when you are suposdlly dead you are found picked up and med evac'd by med lifter to the nearest med center, mash unit

I knwo clones have been a big thing and easy out fr the original creators of the game but the med centers and the medics doctors are feeling no love heh everyone is in the cantina

also maybe add some new vehicle for thoses that master doctor?.. a med lifter =-)

anyways I love that we are back to the sandbox idea and it's alot fo fun again, thank you guys for everythign youa re doing

ps, Med Lifters can be like the republic gun ships of the clone wars, maybe more sleek designe maybe, also can go in space ( not sure if you all are gonna do a atmospheric flight idea or not)
Old 04-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_001 View Post
I have tons of idea's...

I postd an idea for possible addition to the game and a bit of a rework of the idea

forget clones, change the focus of when you are suposdlly dead you are found picked up and med evac'd by med lifter to the nearest med center, mash unit

I knwo clones have been a big thing and easy out fr the original creators of the game but the med centers and the medics doctors are feeling no love heh everyone is in the cantina

also maybe add some new vehicle for thoses that master doctor?.. a med lifter =-)

anyways I love that we are back to the sandbox idea and it's alot fo fun again, thank you guys for everythign youa re doing

ps, Med Lifters can be like the republic gun ships of the clone wars, maybe more sleek designe maybe, also can go in space ( not sure if you all are gonna do a atmospheric flight idea or not)

They are creating the server for us to use the existing client program with. Rewriting the client to be able to change/add new things like that is not possible since it would be violating the licensing of the game we bought from the stores. Sorry to disappoint you with that news.

The only reason they will be able to do things like adding planets is that there are unused planets existing in the client that were placed for future expansion. The raw materials exist if information is sent from the server to tell the client to use it.

If you want to know how to access the test server read the setup guide. Or just download Launchpad Enhanced and let it do the work for you if you already have SWG installed.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaque View Post
I agree. Somebody wake me up when the OR is finished. I can't play this half finished game any longer. No offense.
I'm with you on this one bro, while I think we all realize what a massive amount of work it is this project entails, I have to admit I'm on the same boat when it comes to how long it's been. Truth be told, I could care less about all the "cool ideas" flying around, I'd just like to have the old game back preferably with JTL and I'd be completely happy with that. I won't play on Nova for the most part unless something needs tested, I mean what's the point? If we're going to end up wiped again anyways, I don't want to heavily invest in trying to establish a toon. No offense to the team or what not, but I can't see the community holding together much longer, it seems like everyone I've talked to has either given up on SWGEmu, or is about to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: