SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.80 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer View Post
It's just like the volunteer helpers who are constantly trying to help you in support... we work with GMs, and the Exploit Team will be volunteers working with QA's.

Please read the information posted before spreading and backing up mis-information.
I did read the information, You're obviously blind if you've read it yourself.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 PM

Location: In your browser, eating your cookies. (Dundee, Scotland, UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbjorn View Post
I did read the information, You're obviously blind if you've read it yourself.
the stuff he is reading is a bit later on in the thread and not at the very start, kyle at first worded it wrong and put it right a bit later by explaining it a bit better however he didnt edit his original post with the "correct" information

Client Upgrade (Screenshot Folder & Permanently Set your FPS)
Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Developer
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabyroth View Post
While we are all experiencing rubberbanding because of speed hackers it's really smart to allow some "cool enough to be hacker" people to use speed hacking.
This seems to be one of the main misconception floating around.

Let me explain how the speed hack prevention works, and how it is causing rubberbanding occassionally (which if hasn't been noticed, it has improved drastically, and will only continue to improve until it is rarely noticeable).

Speed hacks work by modifying the client's local variable for telling the client how fast a player can move forward. As a player move's forward, his new position is sent to the server so that the server can keep track of where the client is going. Speed hack's simply modify this local variable by editing system memory. By increasing it to some arbitrarily large number, it allows the client to send larger distances covered, than they should be able to cover at the speed the server believes a player should be traversing.

For example:
Player's speed is set to 5 on the server. Player edits memory and sets it to 15. Now when player moves client side, all position updates sent to the server are increased by a factor of 3 greater than what they should be.

The fix:
In order to render speed hacks ineffective, we calculate how far a player should be able to move based on simple physics formulae. The distance traversed is directly proportional to speed and time.

We have begun calculation the max distance the client should be able to travel in this time, and bounce players back if they traverse farther than they should be able to. Hence rubber banding.

Anyone trying to speed hack with this enabled will rubber-band and not be able to speed hack anywhere.

The consequences:
Unfortunately, the equations are too precise, and do not account for lag. This is causing some players who are not speed hacking to just barely trip the detection, rubber banding them back to their last position. The greater the lag, the more frequent this occurs.

The future:
We have already outlined a new algorithm that should hopefully correct for lag, while still keeping speed hacking ineffective. We are testing it internally to make sure it doesn't make the situation worse before pushing it to TC. If it tests well internally, we will move it to TC where we hope it will hold up. If it doesn't, we will reinstate the old protection, and try again.

Why we can't just disable it and ban all speed hackers:
While in a perfect world, we could just ban anyone speed hacking, there are a couple reasons why this is impractical:
1) Lag can cause false positives from player perspective (players may appear to be speed hacking because of lag).
2) CSR's can't be actively monitoring every single player on the server looking for speed hackers.
3) Usually, speed hackers aren't caught until some damage has been done. It is a better method to prevent the damage being done in the first place.

So, please, accept our sincerest apologies of any rubberbanding. I seriously don't think anyone can claim it unplayable/untestable at this moment. I have spent considerable time myself in game, and barely rubberband - this has even led to some miscommunication that it is off. I assure you, it's not off. We are doing the best we can to improve it as quickly as possible, and it is in everyone's best interest that we do so.

It is actually a good thing that we are working to correct this issue now, rather than on SunCrusher when serious damage could have been made to the longevity of the server.

Thanks for understanding! Feel free to ask anymore questions you have concerning it. You can find me on IRC.

Last edited by cRush; 10-19-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondhi View Post
here's the way i see it.... since were on a TC, just play the game.... /report bugs.... /ignore players you dont like..... and surround yourself with good people =D.... why worry about someone having something you dont? jealousy? yeah seems like it... out raged like an angry mob outside the white house (being the EMU's team) just because something didn't go your way? yeah....
This. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegti View Post
Not how i wanted my first post to go but, my god, are some of you thick or what??
Do you really not understand why the dev team have deceided to go this route with regards to trying to make sure, when suncrusher comes, we all have the best experience possible? I've not heard of this Ashur, or the other one (don't know name. It's NOT important) and i don't care who they are. Do you really think the team would jeopordise years of work just to let a 'friend' hack? No, anyone with any sense wouldn't come up with a 'yes' to that question. They've said the exploitation team will work be on a seperate server... so why are some people here throwing hissy fits there game being ruined if the're not even on the same server?!?!. So what if they changed the policy? They've announced it. They've explained why they did it and the benefits we'll get from it. But some people can't/don't seem to see that.
This too. +1.

I thought this was a forum and not a popularity contest; I was mistaken. Several pages of flaming and trolling later, I'm unhappy and sad to see that, as always, those who cry the louder are fed first.

Take your petty wars about who's the best guild in private, like respectable mature community members would, for the good of everyone (yours first, thinking of it).

Okay, you were not picked to be close to the team and become friend? You were not special enough to make it to the Staff's friends? I'm really sorry that you are hurt so bad by something that doesn't even concern you directly.

Here's how I manage to have a good time, no matter what: I surround myself with good people and enjoy what is going on HERE and NOW, not THERE and THEN. I'm not here on a selfish quest to be popular and a savior/god/martyr to this community, I'm here to see the project grow and succeed.

What is your reason to be here?

Last edited by Yyss'a; 10-19-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli View Post
the stuff he is reading is a bit later on in the thread and not at the very start, kyle at first worded it wrong and put it right a bit later by explaining it a bit better however he didnt edit his original post with the "correct" information
Reguardless, access to the staff private testing server is considered a STAFF privilege. I could care less if they are staff, but they should be limited to the PRIVATE testing server if they are already convicted and known hackers.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 PM

cRush if you want a tool to "help" test the new algorithm then i will make something tomorrow which might help

Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 PM

I am all for a team of people who know how to break games (ie script haxs, etc). This is for the over all better meant of the game and help curb problems when this is live....as long as it is reported, fully, to the proper people and not used excessively for personal gains in pve/pvp. I am not supporting cheaters at all, I detest their ilk greatly for ruining to many awsome games I can count but this is TC and in the end there is a certain need for such ilicit activity to rid ourselves of exploits.

As long as they are REPORTED and not used to gain the upper hand over other players.

You put in the Holy Grail (jedi), people are going to go to such lengths to attain them. Not suprising.

Anyways, cRush explained it very well. Much thanks, I will hope staff members and devs who maybe leaving over this fiasco can understand some of the frustration that the militant side of community and just not take them entirely to seriously. They/we love this game so much...ty for your continued endevours.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Developer
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli View Post
cRush if you want a tool to "help" test the new algorithm then i will make something tomorrow which might help
Would accept it with open arms as long as you don't wrap it in tooo many trojans. :P
Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRush View Post
Would accept it with open arms as long as you don't wrap it in tooo many trojans. :P
dont hate my trojan dropper (well thats what 2 AV's say one of them is)

Will pack it up sometime tomorrow, will do a virus total on it as well because atm its part of something else atm which is flagged as an IM-Spammer but something that else is in it is flagged as a trojan dropper (by mcaffe, but since its part of it it doesnt seemt o be flagged anymore) so will be interesting to see what it gets flagged with, i place my bet on dropper tho lol

Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyra View Post
ANIMATION MODE ON

Epic.

I don't get the first part though. I can't tell who got banned/what hack they used.

"Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn’t happen."

- Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 PM
SWGEmu Support Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceman7381 View Post
I commend Timbab and Uli for attempting to point this out and like Timbab has said, Timbab has stated the TRUTH even when it wasn't popular and risked his status with this project.

If you are flamming Timbab and Uli for stating the TRUTH, (that these are script guys and NOT hackers), then you need to go back and reread this thread.
If Timbab were reading this he would want me to say "via la revolution"

Viva la revolution!

Need help? /Join #swgemusupport
Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 PM

Josh, you succeeded in the lulz... I'm unsure I'll be able to stop with the lulz. Thanks for that.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 PM

Will there be punch and pie?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:48 AM

Joshino; Valk;

You.

No really, You.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigabass View Post
Joshino; Valk;

You.

No really, You.