SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 PM

That is awesome news from Oru.

People may think that the clustering system is getting too much love, but don't worry because it is necessary for the long-life of the Emu. This is no dog and pony show where they just slap some code together and emulate the function of the SOE servers. They are taking it a step above to make it more cost effective while also being more effective in terms of player caps.

Everyone benefits from clustering, not just server admins. More people = a larger community and hence more people to interact with. And if the Emu team does decide to keep the binaries and host their own server they are going to need the highest player cap they can get when all the server communities converge on an official SWGEmu server. But if they decide to release the binaries other people it means that people who can host a server will not really be limited on the amount of people they can host, unlike on ****ty WoW private servers.

Thanks for the updates Oru, it is much appreciated.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oru View Post
yes, one single good server can hold around 300ish players at once, a very good can do 500 or so. that's why we really need to think on a larger scale
Oru, thank you for answering my questions earlier...i appreciate it.

It's good to know that you can go from just 1 server on up if you wished, depending on the player base.

Looking forward to it...

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrej View Post
But if they decide to release the binaries other people it means that people who can host a server will not really be limited on the amount of people they can host
From what i have read, they are keeping the binaries, but releasing the exe's for other servers to use. I could be wrong, but this is how i understand it.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynow View Post
Again, just asking if this step is really necessary?

Thanks...

P.s. I assume this would not be an option, but would communities have the option to run a non-clustered server?

HEY NOW!

I'm sorry, I... couldn't help it.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Retired Game Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oru View Post
oh forgot to mention that we dont have to fully finish clustering for a playable version, the advantage of our system will allow it to run on only 1 box. so its good cause we will be able to give you pre-cu a bit earlier and we can still make it big sometimes later
Thank you devs for giving the base coding of SWG (probably the wrong term) so much attention. I would rather play a stable game a year from now than a 100 person limited/unstable server 4 months from now. So, I am all for giving clustering some lovin

Game MasterFONT=Arial]

[/FONT] SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.

[19:31] <+stevedeath> I am currently being held hostage by an invisible force. He wants one million in US currency, and a plane to Havana. He calls himself: The Box.
<serpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa><s erpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa> </serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa>
Old 09-04-2007, 04:56 PM

Woot this is awsome. I have been driving peopel at work talking about this project.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: