SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wen Talross View Post
I'm not asking about server status, I'm asking if the attacks are still occurring or if it was a one off.
On page 6, posts 80 and 85 by Ekaika explain how the DoS attack is past (though we could always experience another one). The current downage is not caused by that.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:32 PM

To the DoS attacker, just go off somewhere, douse yourself in kerosene and light your childish ass on fire and burn and if you somehow manage to live do it again. To the amazing crew who bless us with the emulator, I'm sorry you ACTUALLY have to deal with such *****s.. Thanks for all your work!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM

Here, here!!

Ya know I may have not made many posts but I've followed this project all along. I have to say the wait no matter how long is going to be worth every minute.

People that try to destroy what this community is aspiring, will in the end be very lonely. This game and what it has meant to so many people pre CU will NEVER ever occur again. Even Blizzards billion dollar machine won't come close.

My point is this, anyone that tries to stray this community have to keep this in mind, these are people that had a love for something, they miss it they understand what it meant to others. So I dare these people to try and keep up with that.

Long live the EMU!!

Thanks all that have worked extremely hard to bring something so many miss and love!!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wen Talross View Post
Is it really that easy to track Viper01? Someone posted before that it would be quite difficult to do so, due to them most likely using a proxy or a bug-farm in order to launch these types of attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordrem View Post
I'd say It depends on how good the person is at that sort of thing and the method he went about to do it. Most everything leaves a trail, you just need to know how to hide it/find it depending on which side your on.
Exactly right Nordrem. The problem with the internet is that it's one big network, and as long as your connected to it you can be backtracked. Even using a proxy won't save you, because all proxy hosts (to protect themselves) keep records of their connections. Even a DoS attack has a single source and single destination, no matter how many "hops" it makes.

The way a DoS works is every "hop" it takes the system doubles (or more) the data packets. You launch the DoS, which means you left a "signature" in the network packet. All the destination has to do is decrypt the packet and they can figure out who launched the DoS attack. Even if you use a proxy, that garbage packet still contains your network information. Most wannabe hackers aren't smart enough to use non-signed packets, and downloadable DoS programs don't do it either. So, unless the person is some uber hacker (which is HIGHLY unlikely) they've left you more than enough info to track them. Assuming you log your network traffic, that is.

To put it in layman's terms. It would be like sending a thief to rob someone's house, and that thief then accidentally dropped your French business card while doing it. If the home owner can read French, you're nailed.

Back on the downtime topic...

I understand that the current downtime is due to a "Deadlock" on the server. Since we just went through a lengthy wait for a huge update, I think it would be equally useful for the community to "wait" while the emu devs come up with a good quality server re-starter. I sincerely doubt anyone will complain about having to wait (on server progress) for such a useful tool to be built. I've had experience with other emu's (non SWG) where community devs have come up with these re-starter tools and they've made a HUGE impact on the community's happiness.

Basically, for those who don't know, a re-starter is a separate program that monitors the various parts of the server (login, world, character, etc) and if any of them stop functioning, "crash", or become deadlocked it automatically re-starts it. You can therefore see how useful such a program would be during a beta phase, where bugs are expected, and even more so when the server is actually released to the public.

In the event such a re-starter already exists, I'd suggest that a process be added to it to check for these types of deadlocks.

Last edited by Viper01; 09-15-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:27 AM

Thanks for clarifying
Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxblackyxlx View Post
Yea really. What we all need to understand is that there are going to be people in this world, who will just make other peoples lives worse. They will try to hinder us and our goals as much as possible and when it comes down to it we need to ask ourselves. Are we going to allow them to? Or are we going to stand up for ourselves and continue what we set out to do?

Ever since the original game was killed off, and the CU came I never thought there would be a game that hailed in comparison to this. World of Warcraft came close, but there was always that something missing. The few hours t his morning that I was able to play with no interruption brought back a piece of me that I have long forgotten. The more carefree, and happy version of myself.

To all you out there who want the game up right now and don't care about the development of it, try to understand that there are some things out of the Devs control. The game has been in the making for years now, what is a few days more? The game is up, we see it. We play it, and we find bugs. How else do you fix bugs? By finding them and reporting them. I'm sure that will come later. Right now there is a minor set back with this DoS attack, but I'm sure the brilliant team here will overcome this obstacle and get us playing once more.

On a more serious note though. Everyone who is playing a part to this game's development, thank you. The creators, and developers from all walks of life. We all have our flaws but you guys have shown many people just what a small group of concerned people can do when they set hearts to it. Thank you, from the bottom of mine.

- Blacky
You are right, never played such a game again. SWGEMU 4 ever!
Old 09-16-2009, 01:04 AM

The thing is that atm server restarts after deadlock have to be done manual, because once the server restarts, the logs go poof. If the logs go poof devs won't know what caused deadlock. But if they keep deadlock for a while they can check log, see what caused bug, and try a fix /thinker one.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 AM

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthr...t=29908&page=2

Rawr.

Wow already 248 people logged on the server.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:30 PM

and its back down.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:41 PM

Thank you, powers that be, for lowering the spawn density! I can make it to a mission!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:20 PM

"While I'm sure SOE is not thrilled with our progress, I highly doubt they'd risk legal action by encouraging such acts"

I think you must suspect everyone who may be to curious to EMU's progress. But i think there is a good part in this, you will increase you're security and everything will be ok!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
President
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper01 View Post
Exactly right Nordrem. The problem with the internet is that it's one big network, and as long as your connected to it you can be backtracked. Even using a proxy won't save you, because all proxy hosts (to protect themselves) keep records of their connections. Even a DoS attack has a single source and single destination, no matter how many "hops" it makes.

The way a DoS works is every "hop" it takes the system doubles (or more) the data packets. You launch the DoS, which means you left a "signature" in the network packet. All the destination has to do is decrypt the packet and they can figure out who launched the DoS attack. Even if you use a proxy, that garbage packet still contains your network information. Most wannabe hackers aren't smart enough to use non-signed packets, and downloadable DoS programs don't do it either. So, unless the person is some uber hacker (which is HIGHLY unlikely) they've left you more than enough info to track them. Assuming you log your network traffic, that is.

To put it in layman's terms. It would be like sending a thief to rob someone's house, and that thief then accidentally dropped your French business card while doing it. If the home owner can read French, you're nailed.

Back on the downtime topic...

I understand that the current downtime is due to a "Deadlock" on the server. Since we just went through a lengthy wait for a huge update, I think it would be equally useful for the community to "wait" while the emu devs come up with a good quality server re-starter. I sincerely doubt anyone will complain about having to wait (on server progress) for such a useful tool to be built. I've had experience with other emu's (non SWG) where community devs have come up with these re-starter tools and they've made a HUGE impact on the community's happiness.

Basically, for those who don't know, a re-starter is a separate program that monitors the various parts of the server (login, world, character, etc) and if any of them stop functioning, "crash", or become deadlocked it automatically re-starts it. You can therefore see how useful such a program would be during a beta phase, where bugs are expected, and even more so when the server is actually released to the public.

In the event such a re-starter already exists, I'd suggest that a process be added to it to check for these types of deadlocks.
A restarter kills the debugger, and then we don't have the debugging environment to actually fix the problem. So, thats why we will never use it, until the server is done.

Kyle (previously mustangcoupe69)
Launchpad Enhanced: Making client setup simple <-- This fixes 99% of problems. Use it.
Client Setup Guide
Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 PM

Should we be reporting bugs actively or do the Devs know what bugs are in the game as we play and test it
Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlxblackyxlx View Post
Should we be reporting bugs actively or do the Devs know what bugs are in the game as we play and test it
Sign up at http://www.swgemu.com/bugs/main_page.php and report, report, report... that is why we're all here.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffmanrc View Post
and its back down.
Ok, good. I just found this place, and thought I installed it wrong. Its not just me that cannot login.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: