SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Announcements

Notices

Announcements Major Project Announcements

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 10:38 AM

I've always hoped this would happen. I believe it wouldn't be neccesary for each community to leave there respective forums, just combine them. To destroy all the ideas and information already posted by the community would be stupid, and all this information should be easily search for or archived if the communities combined to make one big SWG Emulator community.

I know ANH didn't have a forum, it was mainly based on the True Galaxies site, but I would think they would use this forum as TG is just a server, not the emulation project itself.
"You Know It"
Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 AM

I hope all teams can rise to and maintain this level of maturity.

This post, as well as Lordcorm's initiative are a gleaming ray of hope to all of us who have been and still are eagerly awaiting the release of a pre-cu emulator.

That being said, as a community member -not developer- it's much easier to help research and provide needed facts or to give feedback to a developer when they ask for it than it is to suggest fixes or changes to the game. Albiet, the game as it was in pre-cu was something incredible to us all, there is no denying the fact that it never reached it's full potential. We would all accept and embrace pre-cu as it was, there is no doubt about that. But even the community is split at times between those who are against even the slightest change to pre-cu and those of us who want to see the game fixed and tweaked to become better than it was.

The fixes and tweaks needed are nowhere as drastic as CU or NGE, or even attempting to "balance" the combat professions. We just want everyone's given specials and modifiers to work, make professions like CH, DE, Ranger, and so on viable and worth playing, as well as adding content. Afterall, there was a whole list of promises made to us from SOE that were ditched in favor of CU.

I would really hope the emu community is mature enough to understand balancing combat professions was never intended nor even reasonable as each type of combat profession was meant to have it's strengths and weaknesses in different situations. [ e.g. in no realm should one expect a fist to deliver the same damage as a high powered rifle in regards to killing a mob, nor should they be equal on open ground, however in close quarters combat the upper hand should go to the melee fighter.]

Jedi unlocking is another source of friction within each community. There are those who want to stick with the holo-grind and those who want the village - or both. Then you have those of us who want something different and verifiably random from player to player so that no one ever really knows the key to unlocking. IMO, both versions of the jedi unlock were the ultimate demise of the community of swg which lead to the destruction of pre-cu. The way I see it is that the community - or at least an overwhelming majority- abandoned their normal roles and left the rest of us in the cold looking for items we came to rely on such as chef foods, weapons, armor, and so on, while they wasted resources or churned out inferior products because they were blindly grinding instead of working on the quality of their goods. So if those same unlocking mechanisms are introduced in the emu, the community won't even have a chance. And that's what drew in and kept a lot of us playing pre-cu was the community.

To delve into some potential added content - we've tossed around the idea of Player Bounties and provided a great level of detail as to avoid griefing potential. The reason being that until there are player jedi, BH's will have no real fun being BH's. Given the fact that Han was not a jedi, but was hunted by BH's, and the thrill of having a chance to be jumped or ambushed any second really plays to the PvP'ers in the community.

These are all just abbreviated examples of some of the topics that have been tossed around the different communities. For me though, I don't feel it's appropriate for me to bug or push these ideas to the development teams unless asked for of course. I have a great respect and deep appreciation for all teams attempting to bring us a pre-cu emulator so I would much rather allow the devs to focus on getting the emu done, and not bug them to the brink of quitting because they feel like we would be "telling them what to do" rather than helping them reach the end goal.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 AM

It's good to see the project maturing in this way. They have come a long ways, both technically and socially. While it is true that the light at the end of the tunnel is shining brighter than ever, the project still has a lot of ground to cover. It is my hope that this olive branch will unite us all under a common goal.

It is a good idea to be ambitious, to have goals, to want to be good at what you do, but it is a terrible mistake to let drive and ambition get in the way of treating people with kindness and decency.
Robert Solow
Old 06-06-2008, 11:01 AM

I dont post much on these forums, but this post really made me come out of my shell

Great Post Kyle!

]
Old 06-06-2008, 11:07 AM

I think it was best said... Cautiously optimistic. I won't dwell on the negative that's happened in the past and I will hope for the best, but I will remain cautious.

It would be good to see the different teams working together without friction or competition. Good luck on this endeavor folks.
- Aeludor, the Kindergarden Cop
Old 06-06-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I agree!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:28 AM

glad to see everyone putting the past behind them and that SWGEmu is opening up like this

Also I think this is the first time I've ever posted here
Old 06-06-2008, 11:35 AM

I once loathed your team. Really I did. but this post took you guys somewhere else. you admited you were wrong. that takes some balls which most people don't have.

I'm so glad you guys went with lordcom and want to reunite the emulation project. hopefully snow will come back with you guys....well you guys should keep his team's logo. it's so cool.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 PM

Awesome post and I totally agree the past is gone lets look to the future. I myself have not seen any big fights over the past year or so you devs are doing a good job in forgetting the past and uniting the community in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM
President
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoc View Post
I agree!
Nice. I loved that guy.

Kyle (previously mustangcoupe69)
Launchpad Enhanced: Making client setup simple <-- This fixes 99% of problems. Use it.
Client Setup Guide
Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryxmas View Post
Wouldn't it be even more ridiculous if SWGEmu backed out of the agreement because of a condition like that?
No, SWGEmu will not back out of this. They have been with my idea of unification from that start (the first letter i sent out before i quit SWGPreCU). This is soley a problem with ANH not wanted to join, which is why i quit them shortly after joining.

No word from PW yet, i believe the reason for that is, they are on a completely different language (Java not C++), which changes the whole game in getting them to unifi.

But, that said i do know Maach_Ine, and i believe he would if he got the chance, talk about the situation.

This whole unification thing has been going on longer then it appears. But, SWGEmu is deciding to take it another step up, by calling all the teams out in public. (Which takes some serious guts) All previous stuff has been done in private for the most part.

G/J SWGEmu

EDIT: They and everyone else that is enthusiastic about the unification have done what they can. Its now up to ANH.

Last edited by Lordcorm; 06-06-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 PM

@ merryxmas

Ok, WTF? Right after Kyle's post (it was very well put together BTW), you have trolling this thread, and you made a picture insulting the SWGEmu community (the thread was just deleted 5 minutes ago). I don't know what you are trying to do, maybe trying to get some attention? Well I don't care about the reason. Just some advice.

Piss off.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Services Manager

Don't take merryxmas seriously. He is just trying to stir up drama; let's not be baited to do ourselves what he is trying to accomplish.

Aside from those sorts of posts... I declare this thread to be win.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLeader View Post
Don't take merryxmas seriously. He is just trying to stir up drama; let's not be baited to do ourselves what he is trying to accomplish.

Aside from those sorts of posts... I declare this thread to be win.
I would most certainly have to concur
Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Empty vessels make more noise
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: