SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Developer Chat Logs

Notices

Developer Chat Logs Once a month, on the second Saturday, at 7PM EST, we will hold an open Developer discussion on IRC. The logs from these chats will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegis View Post
But the point is, speed-hackers dont let us run the same hundreds of meters for three or more times or let our characters wait 3min. before using a special etc.

Atm. everyone get punished for the hacks a few ppl used.
Thats why some ppl get a lil angry. And maybe because no one can see the end of this.
I repeat, I do not like this feature than any of you and the fact that you are failing to see the big picture is pretty disappointing. What are you all going to do when the developers decide to pull the plug due to the lack of thanks and copious amounts of epic crying? It's a test server and we have to get over it.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDiE' View Post
copious amounts of epic crying?
Idk how it looks if you cry. But i dont see any crying in my post.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:40 AM

definitely not crying. Just going to leave until something is fixed. They don't need me clogging up the bandwidth if I can't do anything. I'm extremely excited about this project and am eager to be able to financially contribute to the development. (student) I love playing the game but right now getting things done takes too much time.

takes at least an hour for me to do 2 missions, mobs often 'too far away' lairs don't spawn. I can handle that part but being at my mission and getting ported back into a cantina = lame. I'll be patient and come back in a few months to check in on the project again!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer View Post
Development and administration concerns will always take a front-seat to player happiness and comfort during development. After development - servers will be much more concerned with pleasing the masses with their daily (and often fickle) needs. Some sadly will be too appeasing I fear.

EDIT: To clarify, reaching a stable, efficient pre-cu server software is the primary goal and is all about pleasing the community. Many just do get teary-eyed when the people who know how to accomplish that goal need to do something that the community doesn't "enjoy".
When you cannot test the game how can you get an efficient pre-cu server? the answer is easy you cant. What people are addressing is the fact that this will not deliver an efficient pre-cu server but an inefficient server. Would it please the community to stop the rubber banding? Yes, will it enable people to test quests, zones, areas, encounters, features? Yes it would. So why are you so set against it? Id rather spend 30 minutes of my time to test out a mission or features then having to spend several hours doing it. I remember back in the day before vehicles and when mounts just came out the only way to get places were mounts. I recall not having a mount and running from nyms to the volcano to a player city and getting nailed by Kimos, then having to start the journey all over again. It wasnt fun and niehter is this rubber banding. I've donated to this game in the past, im sure ill donate in the future once this becomes testable.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:22 PM

As I've said... I am sorry you don't think that it's in a state worth testing. Progress is still being made by others, even in the dreadful lag. Furthur has an idea that makes a lot of sense for people that think this is not worth it atm, it's a far better decision than getting angry/sad/annoyed/frustrated/irritable or any of the other unhelpful emotions expressed this weekend.

Progressing to a stable, efficient pre-cu server will come with time, and not when it's convenient for the testers "play time".
Old 10-25-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
As I've said... I am sorry you don't think that it's in a state worth testing. Progress is still being made by others, even in the dreadful lag. Furthur has an idea that makes a lot of sense for people that think this is not worth it atm, it's a far better decision than getting angry/sad/annoyed/frustrated/irritable or any of the other unhelpful emotions expressed this weekend.

Progressing to a stable, efficient pre-cu server will come with time, and not when it's convenient for the testers "play time".
why arent you a csr yet? srsly dude you should apply
Old 10-25-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Yes, progress is still being made, and yes we are getting closer to an efficient pre-cu server. The thing is, this rubberbanding is making it take LONGER. It's an unnecessary "fix" that's broken and drastically slows down, and sometimes, halts testing entirely. It serves no purpose at the moment, since as I've said it's a test server that's going to be wiped and speed hackers simply are a non-issue at the moment, and ontop of being unnecessary, it makes it VERY difficult to test.

Why be inefficient in our goal to reach an efficient pre-cu server? Why not reach for an efficient pre-cu server in an efficient manner?
Old 10-25-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-556 View Post
Yes, progress is still being made, and yes we are getting closer to an efficient pre-cu server. The thing is, this rubberbanding is making it take LONGER. It's an unnecessary "fix" that's broken and drastically slows down, and sometimes, halts testing entirely. It serves no purpose at the moment, since as I've said it's a test server that's going to be wiped and speed hackers simply are a non-issue at the moment, and ontop of being unnecessary, it makes it VERY difficult to test.

Why be inefficient in our goal to reach an efficient pre-cu server? Why not reach for an efficient pre-cu server in an efficient manner?
i have to agree here, being a TC it's not important since everything is going to get wiped.. the problem with the rubberbanding comes specially lately with the insane lag, which when mixed with this it really makes doing anything a living hell.. specially in any kind of combat situation or even going from one point to another which already takes long enough since we have to run everywere... on the lag issue is it hardware related? bandwith? it's just debuggin? because 15-20 secs of lag is a lot...
Old 10-25-2009, 05:32 PM

Obviously the devs and admins have decided differently. It's not something that they just turned on and forgot about... it's a necessary part of the the development of the server software - as any live server in operation will need the anti-exploit tools just as much as the server software.

While primary development is focused on a separate branch (OR) and not being actively tested on Nova, now is a great time to work on other aspects of the project, like these tools.

Decisions like this will be made on what's best for development, and the devs have a pretty good handle on what the needs of development call for.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Obviously the devs and admins have decided differently. It's not something that they just turned on and forgot about... it's a necessary part of the the development of the server software - as any live server in operation will need the anti-exploit tools just as much as the server software.

While primary development is focused on a separate branch (OR) and not being actively tested on Nova, now is a great time to work on other aspects of the project, like these tools.

Decisions like this will be made on what's best for development, and the devs have a pretty good handle on what the needs of development call for.
The point I think you're missing is, no one is saying there shouldn't be rubberbanding, or that anti-hack fixes shouldn't be developed. We're saying it doesn't have to happen NOW. Live servers wont be out for a long, long time. And the TC's gonna be wiped in the end ANYWAYS, these fixes simply are not necessary at the present time. All they do is inhibit the communities ability to play and test, which overall slows down the project as bugs are slower to be found.

There simply is just no viable reason to keep the rubberbanding. It's broken, it makes everyone pissed, it inhibits testing, all to prevent a pretty harmless hack used on a server that's going to be wiped. If you can somehow justify this, you should go into politics because you can spin even the most retarded situations
Old 10-25-2009, 05:46 PM

Colt's last statement reminds me of Hideo Kojima.

On another note, considering we have to run about just about anywhere (Since dear GOD I used the shuttleport once and I swear it ripped me off 3k credits), as we're without vehicles, speed hacking could even be of benefit, if only to move around.

Pulls flame shield up.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merak Bashee View Post
Colt's last statement reminds me of Hideo Kojima.

On another note, considering we have to run about just about anywhere (Since dear GOD I used the shuttleport once and I swear it ripped me off 3k credits), as we're without vehicles, speed hacking could even be of benefit, if only to move around.

Pulls flame shield up.
While speed hacking being something to be encouraged (at the moment) is certainly controversial, that should be up to the individual player and his ethics. In the end speed hacking should just be ignored at the moment, there's simply bigger concerns that need addressing. Speed hacking, and all hacking, should be dealt with when the game is in a more stable condition and closer to release.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
While speed hacking being something to be encouraged (at the moment) is certainly controversial, that should be up to the individual player and his ethics. In the end speed hacking should just be ignored at the moment, there's simply bigger concerns that need addressing. Speed hacking, and all hacking, should be dealt with when the game is in a more stable condition and closer to release.
Tell that to the people who would instantly start QQ'ing about speedhackers once the prevention was removed. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. And the Slice is always cheaper from the other side of the Fence's mood....be a good customer.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
Tell that to the people who would instantly start QQ'ing about speedhackers once the prevention was removed. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. And the Slice is always cheaper from the other side of the Fence's mood....be a good customer.
I'd tell them to shut their mouths and gtfo. A few people speed-hacking and getting jedi a day before me is preferable to spending weeks not being able to do jack all. If they're really so vain as to care that someone got jedi, on a test server, that's going to be wiped, because they hacked. They really should be ignored.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I'd tell them to shut their mouths and gtfo. A few people speed-hacking and getting jedi a day before me is preferable to spending weeks not being able to do jack all. If they're really so vain as to care that someone got jedi, on a test server, that's going to be wiped, because they hacked. They really should be ignored.
And the cycle would continue.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: