SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.80 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 PM
President
ManagerDeveloperAdministrator

TC Bulletin and Policy Change 10/18/09

Hi Everyone,

We'd like to note a policy revision in our Test Center Rules and Policies.

Quote:
3.13 All forms of hacking, exploiting, and anything designed to break, bend or in anyway alter or skew SWGEmu gameplay experience in favor of one player or against another player is encouraged within strict guidelines.
3.13.1 All successful exploitations are to be reported to the "Exploitation Team", and not posted in public.
3.13.2 Exploitations will never be used to purposely gain advantage over another player or inflict a negative experience on another player. The only accepted instances of exploiting are those that are reported, and for the purpose of enhancing and securing future gameplay.
3.13.3 Failure to adhere to this policy will result in the following consequences. There will be one warning directing the guilty part to the exploitation team. After this one warning ALL subsequent transgressions will result in an immediate permanent ban with the ability to be appealed after three months and immediate deletion of all known characters, items, disbanding of guilds if guild leader, and removal of all items on the marketplace.
While we still are taking a hardline on exploiting, the staff realizes that during development, there is a need to expose problems before we can enact the Zero-Tolerance policy as needed on a finished server.

With this announcement, we are officially organizing the Exploitation Team as a part of our Quality Assurance team. They will have the sole purpose of uncovering exploits and being a point of contact for community members that do find exploits. More information will be released on this team in the coming weeks.

To clear up a sore subject now that we have all the facts, I would like to address the recent banning of a known exploiting guild. Contrary to public belief and statements made by staff members, no one was able to exploit their way to jedi. The community member in question, Ashur, has in fact been extremely helpful in helping uncover serious Test Center flaws and is part of our Exploitation Team, but due to some communication breakdowns has received an unfair reputation. He did in fact get caught speed hacking, but was immediately cooperative. The subsequent reports are untrue. He was accused of speed hacking publicly, when in fact it was a legitimate use of FR3 which, like many of the jedi skills, are getting there first real tests and many are very bugged and broken. A number of the other members of the guild will continue to stay banned permanently because of their unwillingness to cooperate and immaturity in the matter, but a handful of the mature, and talented members have chosen to leave the Dark Side, and use their powers for good. Please welcome these people and treat them accordingly.

To reiterate the previous post, behavior from the community, and sadly, even staff,will no longer be tolerated when it is designed to undermine the project or community.

Regards,

Kyle (previously mustangcoupe69)
Launchpad Enhanced: Making client setup simple <-- This fixes 99% of problems. Use it.
Client Setup Guide

Last edited by Kyle; 10-19-2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Communications Team Manager
CommunicationsManagerAdministrator

Very nice adjustments, I hope the Community sees this as continued improvement as we move towards v1.00

Former SWG Carbineer Correspondent from pre-CU through the NGE
Iebas Feania on Chilastra Master Architect/Carbineer/Creature Handler

| SWGEmu FAQ | A Newbie's Guide to SWGEmu! | Launchpad Enhanced | How to be a SWGEmu Beta Tester | Profession Forums |
SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:31 PM

So was this like an amendment to the zero tolerance policy that it's actually okay?

Last edited by Tipical; 10-18-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:32 PM

With all due respect, this post simply seems like it's saying "Hey, if you hack, come apologize to us, work with us, and we'll unban you."

I simply don't understand it... If someone is caught exploiting (and I think I'm not the only one who'll agree with this) they shouldn't be brought back. Is he back, or is he just working with the team?

What's to say Ashur won't be doing this again? Will he be watched to make sure? Is this how everyone else will be treated that cooperates with you for exploiting?

Odissa: Master Image Designer/Master Tailor

Arihanna: Master Rifleman/Master Combat Medic

Blutsaugerin: Master Doctor

Making gamers out of moms since 1996'

http://www.alloutassault.net

Last edited by GestorterEngel; 10-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Inactive Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GestorterEngel View Post
With all due respect, this post simply seems like it's saying "Hey, if you hack, come apologize to us, work with us, and we'll unban you."

I simply don't understand it... If someone is caught exploiting (and I think I'm not the only one who'll agree with this) they shouldn't be brought back.
It is more of a, "Hey, if you hack, you are going to work with us so that we can prevent other people from hacking if they use the same method. Otherwise we're going to ban you and delete all your stuff."

Since we are still in development stages and there are still going to be wipes, the main goal is to write code that will prevent these hacks. So if we can do it now, before we get to v1.0, then that is beneficial to all of us after v1.0.

The main point being, we are still in development and we want to write code to prevent people from using these hacks. We are trying to improve our code to make it so these hacks will be of no use.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:58 PM

LMAO so basically for hacking AND GRIEFING people in the community who were trying to get thier jedi get rewarded with a kiss and given a position on the staff.

So much for the change you guys were implimenting....faith unrestored

Tusken
Roodypooh
Spy
Ichigo
Old 10-19-2009, 06:43 AM

I hate Exploiters (yes I mean hate), but I also know that playing a MMO means that by default I am choosing to enter a game where I must share that game world with those who see nothing wrong with exploiting... even if it is against the rules. Even though I am perfectly willing to follow each and every rule to the letter does not mean all others will do the same... This is a fact of MMO gaming, and life overall. Therefore I am pleased to have read this announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoop View Post
It is more of a, "Hey, if you hack, you are going to work with us so that we can prevent other people from hacking if they use the same method. Otherwise we're going to ban you and delete all your stuff."

Since we are still in development stages and there are still going to be wipes, the main goal is to write code that will prevent these hacks. So if we can do it now, before we get to v1.0, then that is beneficial to all of us after v1.0.

The main point being, we are still in development and we want to write code to prevent people from using these hacks. We are trying to improve our code to make it so these hacks will be of no use.
This makes sense in a twisted sort of way... and since the gaming world is usually a twisted sort of place, then while SWGEmu is in development why shouldn't the Dev Team use the services of Players that have the ambition, skills, talents, and the mindset to help them identify and fix potential exploits? Even if I hate how these Players play the game, These Players can find exploits that my pointy little mind would never dream of. Just make sure you have a "surveillence Droid" watching these Players close, you know... use common sense flavored with street smarts.

I cannot make a judgement call as to whether Ashur is or is NOT an exploiter, but if the Dev Team believes he can be an asset on the Exploit Team, then so be it. The important point is that now is the time to identify the exploits and squash them. Thank you Dev Team for being open minded enough to consider using the talents of all kinds of Players. Kudos.

Last edited by Kyrm347; 10-19-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: speeling...I mean spelling
Old 10-19-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GestorterEngel View Post

I simply don't understand it... If someone is caught exploiting (and I think I'm not the only one who'll agree with this) they shouldn't be brought back. Is he back, or is he just working with the team?

What's to say Ashur won't be doing this again? Will he be watched to make sure? Is this how everyone else will be treated that cooperates with you for exploiting?
blah blah....
Old 10-18-2009, 11:36 PM

I just reread the ashur part. I am utterly speechless. So the first person to find an exploit in a way is rewarded then?

EDIT: Also who is to say now that ashor is on your exploitation team that he will not do so unnoticed because now hes a figure of authority? I just don't understand this move at all. Seriously.

EDIT2: Moral of the story is if you're going to hack, make sure you're friends with the devs first so you don't have any serious consequences?

Last edited by Bostwain; 10-18-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gestorterengel View Post
with all due respect, this post simply seems like it's saying "hey, if you hack, come apologize to us, work with us, and we'll unban you."

i simply don't understand it... If someone is caught exploiting (and i think i'm not the only one who'll agree with this) they shouldn't be brought back. Is he back, or is he just working with the team?

What's to say ashur won't be doing this again? Will he be watched to make sure? Is this how everyone else will be treated that cooperates with you for exploiting?
+111111
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostwain View Post
i guess we'll be seeing ashor in 2 months and 3 weeks then won't we?
+1111111

StK|Strike To Kill|StK
Old 10-18-2009, 11:48 PM

Ever watch a movie with a "bad guy" doing something for the cops? What do you see him doing when the cops aren't watching? The same old stuff.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectedBac View Post
Ever watch a movie with a "bad guy" doing something for the cops? What do you see him doing when the cops aren't watching? The same old stuff.
This is more like catch me if you can...

He got caught, now hes one of them again.. but just like in catch me if you can, he'll relapse..
Old 10-18-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:

So now is ashor recieving his jedi and progress back or does he have to restart?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Inactive Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostwain View Post
So now is ashor recieving his jedi and progress back or does he have to restart?
I don't deal with any of that so I have no clue. I'm just talking about the development side of the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GestorterEngel
My problem isn't with him helping you guys by far, but moreso if he's allowed to come back the concern of him doing this again and it being overlooked, or him secretly helping his friends out to achieve certain things and being overlooked. I just don't think it's acceptable to allow these people back into game and possibly do what they got in trouble for to begin with.
Like I said, we are going to prevent the hacks he used from working through code. That way he (or anyone else) will not be able to use them.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I don't deal with any of that so I have no clue. I'm just talking about the development side of the project.
Can you please find out and let us know because there are MANY objections for him being able to just all of a sudden be back to where he was.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: