Announcements Major Project Announcements

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Communications Team Manager
CommunicationsManagerAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordcorm View Post
Keeping the community informed is important. If we didnt do so, we would be just as bad as SOE, by not letting the community come into the dev's decision making process.
Absolutely correct...as I saw many things inside SOE that if the community had known things, well it might have been different (but probably not).

As I posted earlier, this is also a call to all players, not just coders to help bring the right info and testing to help make the best product possible. This is far bigger than just a bunch of coders....

Former SWG Carbineer Correspondent from pre-CU through the NGE
Iebas Feania on Chilastra Master Architect/Carbineer/Creature Handler

| SWGEmu FAQ | A Newbie's Guide to SWGEmu! | Launchpad Enhanced | How to be a SWGEmu Beta Tester | Profession Forums |
SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smusatto View Post
Just to let everyone know, the lines of communication are open and we've got a meeting planned for later tonight. We'll see how it goes...
Can you share with whom you're speaking at this point?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 AM

I understand biophilia's point of view. This situation isn't like how SOE kept the community out of the loop. Its apples and oranges. SOE didn't let players give any input into the development of features and changes that affected the game. I think we all have faith enough in the EMU team to not make that mistake. however, Biophilia's point is that the community is generally ery ignorant about 'closed door' issues such as SWGEmu's dealings with ANH or other emulator teams. Hell, half the posters here dont even know who the SWGEmu developers are. This leads to many uninformed people making speculations as to the relations and dealings of the Emu team. these speculations are at best misleading to the community, and at worst ignorant and detrimental to Emu. I still think making this public was a good move, but i think the community needs to get the whole story before it starts making assumptions based on limited (new) knowledge.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 AM

Congrats, guys. Hope you can get it done. This team's come a long way over the years.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:52 AM

This kind of came out of left field...

I thought this stuff was far in the past in this Emu. It seems every time it is brought up, it is done so in a very melancholy way. "Divided We Fail" doesn't exactly encourage the good spirit the team has been carrying for quite some time now since open source. (Hence left field)

I'm all for the uniting of teams, but couldn't it be more like "United We Get There Faster" type of posts?

Last edited by Vrej; 06-06-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: better wording
Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 AM

Glad to see the maturity level being raised here. I had to take a break from keeping up with SWGEMU cuz all there was to read about was lame drama.

Over the past few months I have noticed a drastic change in attitudes and the communication brought to the forums. I applauded the efforts being attempted in this thread. Even if other groups do not group up right away, these events IMO are major milestones for our community.

Good luck to developers.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:38 AM

I've seen the efforts made by SWGemu over the last six months or so to mend fences with (all members of) the community, and it hasn't gone unnoticed. At least by me. Thanks.

But I can understand where the ANH devs might have a problem coding for a project where they would have no 'ownership' of their work. And where SWGemu could - theoretically at least - announce at the last minute that the completed emu was, for instance, not going to be released publicly but was going to be run only on private servers. However on the other hand, I sympathize completely with the right of the SWGemu devs to use their proprietary part of the game engine (core 3) as a separate and potentially profit making enterprise.

So it does seem like a real conundrum. And perhaps the best we really can hope for is a better sharing of information. As was mentioned earlier in this thread by syvart.

Last edited by Pynda; 06-06-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaika forge View Post
Can you share with whom you're speaking at this point?
Sure. We just got done meeting with Snow. It was a very cordial conversation and we covered a lot of information. He is going to share the log with the ANH team and we'll see what happens from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynda View Post
And where SWGemu could - theoretically at least - announce at the last minute that the completed emu was, for instance, not going to be released publicly but was going to be run only on private servers.
This is crazy talk. We feel it is now our obligation to release it for everyone to use, considering so many people have contributed since we went open source. Each and everyone of them should have the opportunity to run their own server if they want to. They helped make it happen. It's only right.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Seaseman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynda View Post
I've seen the efforts made by SWGemu over the last six months or so to mend fences with (all members of) the community, and it hasn't gone unnoticed. At least by me. Thanks.

This is all for you. We realized that the childish ways we had weren't going to get us anywhere. In order to attract more talented programmers to this project and further expand our community it's important to treat it with respect. You guys are why we're here, and this is all for you. You're very welcome.

But I can understand where the ANH devs might have a problem coding for a project where they would have no 'ownership' of their work.

This wasn't JUST about the ANH devs, it's also about the other people out there who feel like we have wronged them in the past. God knows that's a lot of people. But this project has a goal now, and I think finally it's getting safe to say that we can see light on the end of the tunnel. We're trying to finish strong. We could do this by ourselves, but we could see this emulator in half the time if some of the talented people from server communities and our community step forward and lend a hand.

And where SWGemu could - theoretically at least - announce at the last minute that the completed emu was, for instance, not going to be released publicly but was going to be run only on private servers.

Here is a quote from me. That will NEVER happen. This project is open source. We owe so much to our great community that I can't even express it. Like I said before, this is for them and you. We want you guys to have the best possible emulator that we can provide. We're redesigning our homepage to be more emu-centric and welcoming, and it will also allow new members to get started MUCH easier. Also Kyle and a few others have been working on tools to help the community be involved. These tools will allow people who are less tech savvy to participate in the development process.

However on the other hand, I sympathize completely with the right of the SWGemu devs to use their proprietary part of the game engine (core 3) as a separate and potentially profit making enterprise.

That is a long way down the road. Pre-cu is our goal at the moment.

So it does seem to me like a real conundrum. And perhaps the best we really can hope for is a better sharing of information. As was mentioned earlier in this thread by syvart.

Perhaps. But that's why we're talking about it. We don't want to make any rash decisions.
I hope that clears up some questions/doubts/fears of everyone else.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 AM

Excellent post Seasame. And thanks Smus for replying.

Watching all this happen from the beginning to where we are today is simply amazing. It's a coming of age.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Retired Game Master

GJ team! This is an incredible step. It's a whole new opportunity for the entire community to pull together and finish this project. Hopefully, everyone will take the olive branch and let bygones be bygones. It's not just the return of devs that this community would benefit from but all the players that left too. It's obvious that if the dev teams work together how much it will help the success of the emulator and return our game to us faster. However, let's not forget the dev team is also including the players that left too in that OP. This game is so much about community, that the players are just important. Let's not forget them.

Game MasterFONT=Arial]

[/FONT] SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.

[19:31] <+stevedeath> I am currently being held hostage by an invisible force. He wants one million in US currency, and a plane to Havana. He calls himself: The Box.
<serpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa><s erpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa> </serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa>
Old 06-06-2008, 02:38 AM

My post was edited because I keep saying the same thing after I have been asked not to.

Last edited by Kyle; 06-06-2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Just had to weight in with this again, eh?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:40 AM

I've always stuck behind SWG Emu. Mainly because of quality and it's always felt a little like home-away-from-home here.

I'm really happy to see a move like this being made. Makes me feel proud to have stuck around here for so long.

I'm kinda' curious about how multiple works and projects will be consolidated into the current project we have now if/when others agree to help. I hope it's not too much of a problem, as not everyone is coding in exactly the same format/language/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryxmas View Post
My post was edited because I keep saying the same thing after I have been asked not to.
You have a very odd underlying tone in all your posts... However, you cannot say that one is farther along than the other, because they've both made strides in a lot of different areas.

~June 20th, 2008~

The FEW, the PROUD, the TROLLS.

Last edited by Kyle; 06-06-2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: merryxmas quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhomicide View Post
I've always stuck behind SWG Emu. Mainly because of quality and it's always felt a little like home-away-from-home here.

I'm really happy to see a move like this being made. Makes me feel proud to have stuck around here for so long.

I'm kinda' curious about how multiple works and projects will be consolidated into the current project we have now if/when others agree to help. I hope it's not too much of a problem, as not everyone is coding in exactly the same format/language/etc.
Don't worry. Be Happy. Don't worry be happy now.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryxmas View Post
Might we ask who you are? You seem to be speaking for the ANH team, yet no one knows you, and admin here has asked you not to continue to spew misinformation.

You appear to me to be trolling, and posts like this are just going to make trouble.

Last edited by Kyle; 06-06-2008 at 03:18 AM. Reason: merryxmas quote
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: