SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Test Center Updates

Notices

Test Center Updates Updates to the Test Center will be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettman View Post
this code is useless and wont be used in the finished product any testing done on it will b equally useles, this was just something to sate the complainers tbh. The OR is the important thing that is what is going on the suncrusher server that is what the release is dependant on.

This patch is really and truly just something to give the people who dont want to do anything but play. It serves no practical purpose for testing as the codebase that is being used for it will be defunct at the time the OR is done.

You want a real server to play on? well thats going to be suncrusher which is dependant on the OR To be finishd to be launched, seems to me you players who just want to play a complete game should be hoping and pushing for OR Completion as well.

the reason the source changes made to put this patch on the TC nova server havent been put on SVN are because they are useless to the end product and to keep certain things secret ingame on TC but mainly because the code will not be used in the end product.

So again why arent you more interested in the OR Being completed and put on the TC as that is what everything is dependant on, the testing going on with the codebase in use in this update really has no use for the OR Development so really your not truly helping test anything that has bearing on the finished game server at all.

What your doing is playing which is fine but please dont confuse the two this update has nothing whatsoever to do with the end product or the suncrusher server

In my shor stay I have read everything i could about the OR and it is a major major rewrite to the codebase all this update is for is the people who just want to play, but rest assured without the OR there will be no game to play beyond the TC
So what if the sole purpose of it is to play on? You obviously havn't been here long enough to appreciate what the devs have done here. In your short stay there is an end. Bye Bye.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:36 AM

obviously in your attempt to be an ass which comes off as idiocy, you neglected to READ Where Max stated this update has nothing whatsoever to do with the OR. Try reading and not trolling jackass
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 AM

Does't mean it will be defunct with the OR. I suggest that YOU should try reading before trolling and insulting others.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by fettman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by fettman
I meant no offense by my reply reguarding the patch, I am just very let down by this, I come and see this major source update supposedly being worked on, and come to find out the devs were just enhancing the TC, meanwhile those of us who see the 3 month wait for this useless update have god only knows how long to wait for the new source to come out.

Is the server software every going to actually be released for those of us who want to work on to do so or should the people who want to setup develop and have a server go to one of the other communities or what not.

Dont take me wrong you have all done an amazing job, but it seems like everything is geared towards the main SWGEmu server, without the intentions of releasing it. I know there is alot saying 1.0 will be released but, just seeing the development direction here.

Also at this point Even though i am new, I am having reservations about contributing to a project which according to the information on the website is geared to making this software into other commercial MMO projects which means using contributor's code to get a leg up?

Again dont take me wrong, but over the last few days i am seeing alot that i cant recconcile.

Throw us potential contributors a bone or two, i can see the reason for the user limits in the source at present, but do we really need the shutdowns at 60 minutes? Does the OR need to be so hush hush? it would be awesome to be able to work with the latest code available, and be able to compile it and make sure it works and then contribute.

Again My appoligies I am new here but these questions are going through my head at this point and I cant recconcile them on my own.
Hi Fettman,

The OR isn't hush hush per se... It is simply that TA and Oru are currently performing engine-side changes for the most part. The other developers (core developers) are all awaiting these changes to be completed, just as you and others are. In this spare time, they decided for the benefit of the community to fix a multitude of issues and improve the TC experience to attract members and facilitate an active and testing community through the lul. SWGEmu is a two sided project; balancing the wants of the community with the necessities of developing a "perfect" end product. We need to value the wants of the community to play/test/use an interesting game just as much as we need to dedicate 100% of our available time to projects such as the OR.

The developers who created this patch and those who are working on the OR are not the same people. Since Engine3 is a closed source product, neither the core developers nor the community contributors can assist Oru and TA with their changes. This is, arguably, for the better, as it will guarantee a prestine Engine, avoiding the complications of multi-user patching which has lead to the OR in the first place. Kyle, cRush and Dannuic who made this latest patch realistically had nothing else to do asside from fill in stub functions and plan ahead. I would propound that the team was, in fact, working in a time-economical fashion.

The latest core-changes of the OR are published on our SVN. However, the Engine3 changes will not be published until it is in a compilable and usable state. Other, further changes to Core3 will be on hold until that time.

I hope that answers all your queries.

Cheers
Will the TC patch perhaps be put into a branch on the svn for us to play with it would seem ALOT changed with the core code with this patch could someone atleast put that up for us to tinker with?

I know it sounds odd but Im not all that interested in playing im here one to learn and develop with the core and eventually put up a server with, while i do like to play SWG my reason for comming was chance to develop and help create something truely awesome.
There are 2 main reasons why the patch hasn't been put on the public SVN:

1) It is incompatible with the latest OR changes on the public trunk
2) There are certain features which have been implemented in a "secret" way so to speak as part of the events and community arc for the TC. While we may hold the rhetoric of "The TC is only for testing", we know that unless we make things interesting, people won't test. We chose to implement a couple of fun features to keep players interested, and it would ruin it both for our community goals and the community's own enjoyment, if such features could be examined easily on the public SVN.

As you said yourself, and as has been discussed internally, the use of this current patch in the OR-Future is probably quite small. While the research done will help, the physical code itself will be all but useless in the future.

game set match

to quote you mr troll lobreez try larning something before posting

EDIT

now back on topic. what i was saying is you gotta love the irony in the fact that you spend months working on something and it gets buggered up for this reason or that at the very end. Happens to SOE All the time lol Such is how it works with large projects, everyong pissing and moaning about not being able to get in or that here will be a whipe tomorrow is useless.

Last edited by fettman; 09-14-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 AM

So, basically you just showed everyone how this open source project is disappointing you? Nobody owes you anything.

Edit:

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by posting all of this?

Last edited by Lobreeze; 09-14-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettman View Post
now back on topic. what i was saying is you gotta love the irony in the fact that you spend months working on something and it gets buggered up for this reason or that at the very end. Happens to SOE All the time lol Such is how it works with large projects, everyong pissing and moaning about not being able to get in or that here will be a whipe tomorrow is useless.
I don't see the irony in such a situation. I think it's pretty predictable that such a large project would have it's problems. Massive problems? Maybe not. But this is still a test center.

I'm afraid I missed the part where the project was "buggered up at the very end."
Old 09-14-2009, 09:58 AM

well its half opensource actually to be technical. And yeah seeing basd on post dates 3 months of nothing for this OR then a patch which clearly took up a good chunk of that time put out so people could play on a test center, while the OR hasnt had much if any work done on it as of yet is kinda dissapointing and imo a serious case of time mismanagement.

That said As per Max's replies the devs other then those two really havent had much to do anyway as they are doing the engine3 end of things which isnt done.

In a way im glad soe doesnt listen too much to the players, it prevents things like this from happening.

Had that time been put soley into the OR it would probably be finished and being tested as we speak. But due to the players whinging on about it we get this useless update instead. Yep big dissapointment.

Which is why ive been tinkering around with the code of openswg instead, in the interim as nothing can really be done till the OR is atleast compilable anyway
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
I don't see the irony in such a situation. I think it's pretty predictable that such a large project would have it's problems. Massive problems? Maybe not. But this is still a test center.

I'm afraid I missed the part where the project was "buggered up at the very end."
well see they spent like 3 months working on it and i would imagine testing internally before they put it on the TC, therefore something buggered up the update at the last minute or they would have caught it. Like I said it happens to SOE with ever major patch to almost all their games that comes out. Hence irony you gotta laugh at as a developer despite players whining on and on about it
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 AM

fettman

seriously,.... what do u want?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Test Center Director
ManagerAdministrator

Do NOT hijack this thread. Back on topic please.

Odwill
SWGEmu Test Center Director

Odwill@swgemu.com
| EmuIrc | Helpful Links
SWGEmu -e- Support Support@swgemu.com
SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:06 AM

lmao ill be on topic when the development forums are on topic and not filled with a ton of troll threads

wait thats right i am on topic im talking about the update
Old 09-14-2009, 10:08 AM

who me? Lol im feeding the troll known as lobeez lol thats all
Old 09-14-2009, 10:08 AM

roger roger,...

i know this question is silly and i would appriciate if u delete this post when its answered,..
im @ work atm and i would like to know if there is any chance to log on TC in about 3-4 hours,...

sorry for the stupid question, but the "server status"-thing shows me its online and then when i refresh the forums it says offline and so on ,...
i have no chance to see for myself atm ,...

im sooooo lookin forward to hang out in TC tonight =D

edit:
might consider stooping this @ fettman
+ dubble post ftw,....
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM

Actually, if you had read through the post you had quoted, you would see that Max stated that the devs not part of the OR wanted to do something FOR the community. Not because of them. Therefore, your whining about the patch that was given to us is moot becasue it was given to us as a service to keep the community excited and engaged. Not provide you with the plans for your own armed and fully-opperational battle station to tinker with...
Due to recent budget cuts and the cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions and the continued decline of the economy, The Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 AM

LMAO too bad i have my own fully armed and operational battle station to tinker with already
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: