SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 AM

Well, you haven't talked to me =P.

I'm enjoying the ability to exist in even a shadowy duplicate image of what was such an amazing game, so for now, Nova is satiating my desire for SWG. You just can't take it too seriously knowing the wipe is coming...

DEVELOPER QUESTION:

Do you guys still want us reporting bugs etc? I just started playing again...hadn't played since back when Core 3 was implemented and I've been compiling a bug list again, I've run through almost every melee profession.

Are these reports still helpful, do you want us to keep reporting or do you think you've got most of it under control and should we just patiently await the OR?

I'm sure this has been addressed before as well, and if so, someone please be kind enough to point me in the direction of the answer I seek!

Thanks.

Galaxy: Kettemoor
TC Nova: Cisei, Lancel, Fel-, Felzor, Felbacca
"Da Bug List" - Core3 Bugs Here [OLD]
Old 04-12-2010, 03:00 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

I agree Eko... when will OR be done? There's so much hanging on it.... a note from someone would really help.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:49 AM

Been awhile since I've been here but its nice to see that there is still a team working the emu and that its at a playable state.

Thanks for the hard work guys

Now I've gotta remember what I did with my swg disks
Old 04-12-2010, 12:10 PM

Rip your disks to ISO images and install them with daemon tools, its faster and you only lose your disks when you reinstall.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Personally,
I'm not ready to give up on this project just yet, although I won't sugar coat it, every time a significant event occurs like the "OR" it rattles the community and gives birth to frustrations and doubts which eventually leads to more and more players giving up or losing interest. I don't think most people understand that in development there are many many times where you take one step forward and two steps back. The steps back allow a team to expand upon or to streamline foundational systems, often times when I'm coding something, I have to drop back and revise older code to support it for one reason or another. I'd venture to say that unforeseen code needed to be added to support and allow the project to move ahead, therefore the 'OR' was a necessary step back.

You have to give the team a good bit of respect for what they have accomplished so far, while I won't claim to be an expert on the SWGEmu code base, although I do have a pretty good working knowledge of it at this point and have done some pretty fun stuff with an older revision I still have. Massive projects like these aren't for your typical programmer, it takes months just to get a real "feel" for the code and to gain an understanding of the mechanics. It definitely isn't something a CircleMUD/Diku/Smaug coder could just leap into and immediately be successful.

It is my "opinion" that a more candid effort should be made to keep the community updated on the progress being made however, the project has taken an excessive amount of time to get to this point and it's only human nature to have doubts or to be frustrated. Regardless on if you just joined or have been here since the beginning, we're all here because we have a deep desire to play the game that we once had in all it's glory, with or without the little quirks that came with the experience.

Anyhow, I'm a wordy bastard, so I'll sign off on this post for now hehe.

- J.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 PM

I agree with Raithe

said it perfectlly, and i would add on that the players are not paying for anything here so they don't really have any room to complain about a bloody thing

the game is being redone MOSTLLY from scratch, SOE verson is comeng to a close soon, ( soon being anytime in the next year or two), and they are nolonger a sand box design, this is

I dont' agree with keeping the AFK'ers and macro makers in here but that's just me, ( Roleplayer and casual player)

but I look forward to seeing what these gods of code come up with next, as is I'm praying that the jedi thing can be more story less grindage but that's me

We now return you to your Normal Rant sessons god day

< laughing and runs for cover>
Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raithe View Post

It is my "opinion" that a more candid effort should be made to keep the community updated on the progress being made however, the project has taken an excessive amount of time to get to this point and it's only human nature to have doubts or to be frustrated. Regardless on if you just joined or have been here since the beginning, we're all here because we have a deep desire to play the game that we once had in all it's glory, with or without the little quirks that came with the experience.
They update us when they have something to tell us about. They're re-writing the code to make it more stable and easier to maintain. This means standardizing things so all the raw code looks similar. They built the game and now they're optimizing the code in order to provide smoother play and stability. What they're doing isn't fun but needs to be done. They're not making new they're fixing old.

I would like an update everyday but something major isn't done everyday so I'm ok with that. The community has backed this project for YEARS; I really doubt that an extended period between updates (like it hasn't happened before?) will make every one run away.

** quoted for support not to rebut.

Last edited by Eeslesrik; 04-12-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: reasoning for quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeslesrik View Post
They update us when they have something to tell us about. They're re-writing the code to make it more stable and easier to maintain. This means standardizing things so all the raw code looks similar. They built the game and now they're optimizing the code in order to provide smoother play and stability. What they're doing isn't fun but needs to be done. They're not making new they're fixing old.

I would like an update everyday but something major isn't done everyday so I'm ok with that. The community has backed this project for YEARS; I really doubt that an extended period between updates (like it hasn't happened before?) will make every one run away.

** quoted for support not to rebut.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not by any means saying a daily update is necessary to maintain the member base. What I am saying however, is that when big things happen in a project of this scope, it benefits to keep a more frequent (bi-weekly) update, even if it's just to say, "Yep we're still working on code, nothing new here." This gives a little reassurance to the community that things are under control and helps to keep the frustrated and impatient at bay. As for the community backing the project for "years", that illustrates my point actually, people have been behind this for years, and no offense intended, but we aren't getting any younger. I applaud those who have managed to stay patient and have shown such a strong resolve, but not everyone has such a deep commitment as is human nature.

All in all, I think the project is getting dangerously close to release personally, this rewrite which many consider to be a set back, at least in my eyes is more like a precursor to a very fast and furious push until release. They are drawing back the bow, getting things lined up, and then WHAMOLA, they'll release. Truly, I'm excited again and can't wait to see this thing launch.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Well, I am glad to finally see others are posting their frustrations with this farce of a dev process.

The OR needs to get done NOW. People will wait... right.

The emergence of other pissed players on these once fanboi plastered threads is heartening. Maybe you'll get crackin' and turn out a finished product - but that would make way too much sense, and based on your conduct thus far I wont hold my breath.

In summary, continual cascade fail by the dev demiGods.

Y'all suck. Finish and polish this turd already.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoten View Post
Well, I am glad to finally see others are posting their frustrations with this farce of a dev process.

The emergence of other pissed players on these once fanboi plastered threads is heartening. Maybe you'll get crackin' and turn out a finished product - but that would make way too much sense, and based on your conduct thus far I wont hold my breath.

I surely hope you are kidding.

I have never gone down to simple name calling in any post, but you sir are an arse.

Be frustrated, be irritated, be whatever makes you sleep better at night. If you want to all riled up and call out the devs, then go make the damn game yourself and play in your own little world.

When will you people understand that these folks dont get paid for this? Its simple. Play in the free game world they have provided or go away.

Have a nice day, and don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out.

Last edited by BigEvil; 04-14-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
I surely hope you are kidding.

I have never gone down to simple name calling in any post, but you sir are an arse.

Be frustrated, be irritated, be whatever makes you sleep better at night. If you want to all riled up and call out the devs, then go make the damn game yourself and play in your own little world.

When will you people understand that these folks dont get paid for this? Its simple. Play in the free game world they have provided or go away.

Have a nice day, and don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out.
This.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 PM

I knew that within minutes the fanbois would rally and pull out the same tired points.

"They're not paid."/"You don't have to pay..."

Well, when you solicit for donations - and collect those donations - people generally expect results. I mean - instead of dev donations you could really just call it a money sink. Voluntary donations still carry an obligation by the recipient to perform and work toward w/e stated goal the sucker donated for in the first place.

"Help them..."/"Make your own"

I can't, plain and simple. I can barely type without looking at the keyboard. I'm the last guy to dismiss my own liabilities - I openly acknowledge them. The dev team are the ones who can't admit their crap performance.

"See ya!"/"Go play somewhere else"

I do. Haven't logged onto this bullsh** since the OR was announced. Why would I? Wipe will come "eventually". Even w/o the wipe, why play with a broken toy?

"The devs are God"

Yes, and that's the problem. No accountability, coupled with this cult of personality, by default equals fail.

So for my second summation tonight -

You are fail if you think this emu has a prayer in hell.

Devs are fail, but at least they're consistent with the fail.

I'd love for this thing to be playable and popular - but since it's neither, wake me when it's done. I'll still be around to pour the occasional gas on the fire, whenenver I think to check this fail site out. Main page hasn't updated in months.

Whatever - keep wankin' your little stubby chubby in glory of the fail dev panel. Maybe one day they'll... On second thought, no they wont.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:

That's just plain rude man, you need to seriously polish your social skills. It's understandable to be frustrated or even irritated, but my GOD, let's not resort to ****ting ourselves and throwing it at the Devs in a frothing rant just because it's not done yet. At least SOMEONE decided to work on the emulator, albeit I never expected to see this team get this far, figured it would have died out by now. Pleasantly enough, they are still hard at work on it and have proven me wrong, which I am very grateful for.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Retired Game Master

Quote:
Haven't logged onto this bullsh** since the OR was announced.
Quote:
I'd love for this thing to be playable and popular - but since it's neither, wake me when it's done.
Hmm... I'm seeing a conflict here...
Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 PM

Wow, I'm gonna get into a forum-fight with a total douche.

Let the record show it. This is the first tard in all my time that has truly pissed me off.

Your either a child, as immature as a child, or just an ITG. (internet tough guy) But I'm sure you already knew that definition didn't you.

We say go away if you are so against Emu cause we mean it. Just go away. We will survive without you. I promise.

If you dont want to donate for costs..............then don't.....Wow that was hard.

Cant make the game? Geez dude...this isn't rocket science here...Play or go away. If you don't play cause you don't like it or the OR, then ......dont....play.....Go b!tch on the WOW forums about that game. At least there you pay a subscription fee and have a RIGHT to hold them accountable.

Peeps that simply hang around to b!tch about progress aren't helping or contributing. Your just a whiner.

My god....we....play....a.....free......game........

"Devs are fail"......well....lemme sum this up again.....don't go away mad...just go away.....Kbye

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: