Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Announcements

Notices

Announcements Major Project Announcements

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Amen

Let it be as you have said.

Last edited by Vasheir; 06-05-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Meh.. peace allows more progress i geuss.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 PM

Amazing job on this post, excellently worded.

I whole heartedly agree 100% with everything in this post.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:12 PM

Rock on

/cheer * Infinity

Way to go, I hope this happens in a great way. This could really push this project far.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 AM

I hope all teams can rise to and maintain this level of maturity.

This post, as well as Lordcorm's initiative are a gleaming ray of hope to all of us who have been and still are eagerly awaiting the release of a pre-cu emulator.

That being said, as a community member -not developer- it's much easier to help research and provide needed facts or to give feedback to a developer when they ask for it than it is to suggest fixes or changes to the game. Albiet, the game as it was in pre-cu was something incredible to us all, there is no denying the fact that it never reached it's full potential. We would all accept and embrace pre-cu as it was, there is no doubt about that. But even the community is split at times between those who are against even the slightest change to pre-cu and those of us who want to see the game fixed and tweaked to become better than it was.

The fixes and tweaks needed are nowhere as drastic as CU or NGE, or even attempting to "balance" the combat professions. We just want everyone's given specials and modifiers to work, make professions like CH, DE, Ranger, and so on viable and worth playing, as well as adding content. Afterall, there was a whole list of promises made to us from SOE that were ditched in favor of CU.

I would really hope the emu community is mature enough to understand balancing combat professions was never intended nor even reasonable as each type of combat profession was meant to have it's strengths and weaknesses in different situations. [ e.g. in no realm should one expect a fist to deliver the same damage as a high powered rifle in regards to killing a mob, nor should they be equal on open ground, however in close quarters combat the upper hand should go to the melee fighter.]

Jedi unlocking is another source of friction within each community. There are those who want to stick with the holo-grind and those who want the village - or both. Then you have those of us who want something different and verifiably random from player to player so that no one ever really knows the key to unlocking. IMO, both versions of the jedi unlock were the ultimate demise of the community of swg which lead to the destruction of pre-cu. The way I see it is that the community - or at least an overwhelming majority- abandoned their normal roles and left the rest of us in the cold looking for items we came to rely on such as chef foods, weapons, armor, and so on, while they wasted resources or churned out inferior products because they were blindly grinding instead of working on the quality of their goods. So if those same unlocking mechanisms are introduced in the emu, the community won't even have a chance. And that's what drew in and kept a lot of us playing pre-cu was the community.

To delve into some potential added content - we've tossed around the idea of Player Bounties and provided a great level of detail as to avoid griefing potential. The reason being that until there are player jedi, BH's will have no real fun being BH's. Given the fact that Han was not a jedi, but was hunted by BH's, and the thrill of having a chance to be jumped or ambushed any second really plays to the PvP'ers in the community.

These are all just abbreviated examples of some of the topics that have been tossed around the different communities. For me though, I don't feel it's appropriate for me to bug or push these ideas to the development teams unless asked for of course. I have a great respect and deep appreciation for all teams attempting to bring us a pre-cu emulator so I would much rather allow the devs to focus on getting the emu done, and not bug them to the brink of quitting because they feel like we would be "telling them what to do" rather than helping them reach the end goal.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:49 PM

This is good, this will help the progress for further and will help raise the over all number of supporters for the Emu.
Enlist at
http://combinesglory.guildlaunch.com...php?gid=111734

Old 06-21-2008, 03:52 AM

Wink Servers

Are all the servers up and running to play on now, or is it just test center.If they arent,why does it say some are up when they are not ?

thank you
Geelik
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 AM

Brilliant. This could be the ticket to success, as long as everyone can share in the hope and dream of pulling together as one, rather than squabble as the tired voices of many.

If there is a contribution I can make...I will make it.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 AM

Well said, I have been somewhat detached from the SWGEMU for some time now. I've been reading but not posting for months on end. Back when the code was open source and the emulator was distributed freely - I wrote a guide to getting a server up and running, which was consequently stickied.

I have to say at the time I felt a tension about the project on the boards. When the open source aspect of the project was withdrawn, and the forum re-launched I didn't feel comfortable trying to get involved again.

My issue, which is probably the same for many people is, that I lack the technical expertise to contribute code or help analyse packets or build databases. When the time comes that the community requires a guide of some sort writing, even if it's simply a matter of translating a set of technical instruction into easy to follow plain english - then PM me, because I'd be happy to help. I still believe 100% in the project, and I'm looking forwards to it's completion - even if I'm not currently in a position to assist with testing.

The risk of urging a mass of people to become involved and move things forwards faster is that most of that mass of people will not have the required level of expertise to contribute. We can all express our opinions about how the finished project should be, but that's all they are - opions. Most of the player base were unhappy with some aspect of the game at some point or other - even in the golden days of SWG. I suppose the problem is partly that being such a highly anticipated game, people had high expectations, that mostly weren't met. I no longer care about the technicalities of how the game works, for me I'd prefer to stay silent and await the finished product. However it turns out it will be far more enjoyable than the NGE and if throwing my opinions as to how it should go would slow things down or casting aspersions at the direction the development was taking would push the completion date back - I simply wouldn't bother.

You're doing a great job guys, you always were. Don't feel hard about the way the community split - or the bitterness that may have ensued between indviduals or groups. A project of this magnitude with this expection was ALWAYS going to have that problem - you couldn't have stopped it.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 PM

i seem to check in here once every few months, so i'm anything but a regular, but i'm glad that we're making progress. i just donated $20 i don't really have - i'm a student - because i figure that i've given over ten times that to SOE mostly before and a shade after the NGE. i hope things go well and everyone can put aside their differences and really get this thing off the ground; if we don't, Lucasarts and SOE win!

/that's not a bad thing, but we really have potential here and yes i'm biased against both of them
Old 10-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Arrow

Very well said, yey Kyle.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Hi to all, I am Adramalech of the previous DarkSide/Holocron team. Yes the datapak SQL guy. I am here to help if needed.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HEL]Adramalech View Post
Hi to all, I am Adramalech of the previous DarkSide/Holocron team. Yes the datapak SQL guy. I am here to help if needed.
beep-booo-boop-bee-beep (that's robot for: "cool")

yea, im retarded
I had tears of joy when I first logged on; it was like someone had taken pictures of my dreams and made a game from them. The detail, the graphics, and the sounds were unbelievable. And quickly, with help from new friends I had made, I figured out how to play. Some have said, and still say today, the learning curve was too steep for SWG." ~Chris Bronwell, CBS News, 2005
Old 01-10-2009, 04:41 AM

well if we are gonna get more people we need to complete for entities in the game like badges and more creatures and quests and the village with jedi professions and crafting and lots of other stuff that is missing from our version... this other galaxie emu i played at has everything finished and it took me 3 days to master jedi lol
Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Correndugo View Post
this other galaxie emu i played at has everything finished and it took me 3 days to master jedi lol

[QUOTE=zim5354]
everything in the original post is common sense, but unfortunately smaller servers who planned on using the EMU teams work, but that couldn't help the project in any real way really have realized that their server is going to be a ghost town and are resentful toward the EMU team because of that.
[QUOTE]

This post was more about bringing all the development teams together, then bringing all the server communities together. So far, SWGEmu is the only team to announce that they will host an official server.
Closed Thread