SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.80 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 04:02 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelharis View Post
Yes. Does this imply that the Dev team had no idea how to fix the problems, so must "hire" the ones who are hacking to tell them what they did? Because from previous posts it was made clear that the Dev team can and will spot everything, and that SC will not be able to be exploited or hacked.

I understand why the exploits/hacks need to be found. If those responsible truly care about the Emu project, let them help to fix it. And then once SC goes live, give them a 3 month ban from the server.
That's not how the movie went.. but no. However, it is true that we didn't know about every possible exploit prior to finding them being conducted. Would you expect us to? Has any MMO ever released with zero holes? We're not asking people to fix them, we're asking people to find them.

Will we eventually find out if people are cheating? Yes, for a number of reasons. Will we act on it? You betcha.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaika View Post
Did anyone see "Catch Me If You Can?"
Read post #8 lol
Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

It was clearly stated that if anyone who's been given the opportunity to help identify and rectify exploits does what you're indicating, they'll be blacklisted.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaika View Post
It was clearly stated that if anyone who's been given the opportunity to help identify and rectify exploits does what you're indicating, they'll be blacklisted.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the purpose of the exploitation team is to find exploits. No one is questioning that it's a great addition; the conflict is that a known cheater and griefer is now charged with finding the exploits. Ashor has shown nothing to show that he can be trusted with such an important task.

What kind of reassurances do we have that he won't abuse an exploit? Assume briefly that he finds an exploitation that allows him to train boxes without costing skill points (perhaps through a client hack). Will he report the exploit or keep it a secret (so that when v1.0 is out, he can use the exploit for a huge advantage)? He has been giving the “green light” to find all the exploits he can. Ashor has already shown a lack of ethics and morality in regards to the swgemu community.

This will get a little redundant (my apologies). Suppose he finds an exploit that he can “hide” until SC is released, abuses it to get an unfair advantage with confidence that he won't get caught, and finally reports it claiming that he just found it. He has already shown his willingness to abuse exploits, so this is something he is now in a position to do. He can not be trusted.

Flame on!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Everything done is and will be for the good of the project. Community doesn't have to like it, but will have to accept it.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...

Last edited by Vlada; 10-19-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:28 AM

Funny though ... I actually did report my findings to the appropriate people ... and a while back I did apply for a QA function where i've put in my application that I think they need to add an "exploit/hack" department .. and didn't get a reply at all .... on anything.

Now .. suddenly a exploiting team has been set up with a guy abusing and exploiting.
Kinda reverse world ..

Ah well ... at least action is being taken ..
Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 AM

Personally I would much rather see these people permabanned then running around the server but this decision is probably best for the entire project in the long run. Some people used hacks, there are always going to be hackers on every game you play and cheaters in everything you do. Let the staff use these clowns to prevent further hacks. Fine.

What right do you have to complain? You're playing a free test center for an open source project and at the end of the day the server gets wiped and every character and item is deleted.

****ing get over it.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 AM

Cmon guys, give them a break. Remember the devs are unpaid people working for you, to bring something back which was once lost.

If you want to criticise and complain, go pay $13 a month to SWG Official, where you can compain all you like. Personally I applaud the work and decisions made by the EMU team, especially their resolve to listen to the criticisms of the community and make tough decisions when they have to.

Keep up the gr8 work.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadum View Post
Cmon guys, give them a break. Remember the devs are unpaid people working for you, to bring something back which was once lost.

If you want to criticise and complain, go pay $13 a month to SWG Official, where you can compain all you like. Personally I applaud the work and decisions made by the EMU team, especially their resolve to listen to the criticisms of the community and make tough decisions when they have to.

Keep up the gr8 work.
They're not working for us at all.

On a side note, since you don't need me, or any of the other dozens of testers I know, I can just leave now and wait for suncrusher? You have an official testing team now, so we can all just leave and wait for 1.0 server code to be released.

I'm sure I, or my friends, are not the only people who are going to be leaving, and I guarantee you suncrusher will be empty when it goes live.

It's nice to know SoE is back to running this thing.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 AM
SWGEmu Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbjorn View Post
You have an official testing team now.
They've had it for long time now, it's called QA. Your acting like they will be unbanning everyone who got banned instead of few select ones who will not be part of Official staff and are under monitoring.

Quote:
I guarantee you suncrusher will be empty when it goes live.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
They're not working for us at all.

On a side note, since you don't need me, or any of the other dozens of testers I know, I can just leave now and wait for suncrusher? You have an official testing team now, so we can all just leave and wait for 1.0 server code to be released.

I'm sure I, or my friends, are not the only people who are going to be leaving, and I guarantee you suncrusher will be empty when it goes live.

You can't please all the people all of the time. You need to give the dev team a break and trust that they know what's best for the continued development effort.

What they have achieved so far is nothing short of spectacular and comparing them to SOE is a kick in the teeth they do not deserve.

As far as SunCrusher goes I disagree with you that it will be empty. I think it will be the best funded and most active server, with the strong probability that it will most accurately reflect the game as it was intended.

The current problem with hacking will hopefully be mostly addressed before live and with the development knowledge in this current team should give the best chance for future protection against hacking (imo).
Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:

I lol'd for days
Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
They're not working for us at all. <---- No. You're right. They are working for themselves and generously letting US play the game THEY have reverse engineered!!!

On a side note, since you don't need me, or any of the other dozens of testers I know, I can just leave now and wait for suncrusher? You have an official testing team now, so we can all just leave and wait for 1.0 server code to be released. <---- Well if that is your attitude.....cya, don't let the door hit ya on the way out!!

I'm sure I, or my friends, are not the only people who are going to be leaving, and I guarantee you suncrusher will be empty when it goes live. <---- The only comment I got for this statement is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously. Where do you people get off moaning at these people that are developing this game for us to play again in it's true form before soe took too much lsd?

If you don't like their decisions, tough sh!t, move along.

Seriously you people do my nut in.
Soon: Copyright 2003-2009 SWGEmu. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between SWGEmu and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, SWGEmu does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as SWGEmu will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 AM

Doublestandard.

Guess its good to be friends with the Dev's...

If they aren't here to play the game as its intended to be played, they should in no way be associated with helping test content.

They aren't testing the game, they are exploiting it and the rest that are here to help move this game in a direction for everyones enjoyment when it goes live.

I'm an old fart, been in just about every mmo beta and live game since before EQ1. You promote this kind of behavior by turning a blind eye for your friends seems kinda odd considering the facts.

If it wasn't such a high visability with this particular case probably wouldn't mean anything at all. This was very public and allowing this / these players to continue while the rest of us are here in the highest spirit of the gaming community to play the game as it is intended to be played. If you're going for something else let us know.

Might as well give us a .teleportwaypoint command to help us with poi's. I mean how big you want the grey area to be.

There are more than enough honest, die-hard swg fans to help you test this emu without having to have known cheaters and hackers creating such a problem for the playerbase.

Last edited by Draacco; 10-19-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:32 AM

I agree with kyle about the hacking part but other people are making there mind up on other stuff, but what ever is best for the community I am behind it.