SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 1.22 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 03:51 PM

Can't say some of us didn't tell you so...

IGN Vanzz

Since the fate of the server was precisely what we voted on, why would you err on the side of the minority?

Moral of the story: If a system of decision-making ends up not working in your favor, throw an enormous tantrum and you'll get your way.

Still we know the devs are watching and moderating posts so why don't they have the guts to answer why they decided to go against the popular vote?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Regardless of the outcome, we need to focus on the real problem, other than our inability to have a civil discussion without attacking each other. Pretty sad. These dupes won't go away with a wipe and I hope that more measures will be implemented to punish dupers. Unless they can come up with some super code that blows dupers up as soon as they dupe, we are going to have to rely on people reporting dupers and hoping they get punished.

Norma- Battle Master.
Shimale- MID.
Duchess- A big hairy wookiee.
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizmull View Post
can someone show me how to dupe so i can have uber weapons and holo's
Why not just buy them for RL money, use Google FFS.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...

Were to start what to say lol
Damage done i think.
lets hope the game survives this ...
voted for the wipe btw 2years plus playing on and off

My "no" vote was for selfish reasons,I never got to play when SWG first came out I had only played the SOE SWG which is a dog. So I was really enjoying progression of my toon and didn't want to stop and restart. Know this is only a test server and not the full game and as such wipes can happen anytime and I would have been back next day hitting the grind again.I dont hold with cheating in any form and cant see how running around a game telling anyone who will listen I have the best of everthing in the game would have any satisfaction!

You know, I could understand calling off the wipe with the controversy of possible vote fraud if it was a simple majority vote. A 50/50.

However, this vote already required heavy padding (66%) to pass. And it did. Even plus or minus a few percent, the majority of the community desired a wipe, and this is ignored?

Last edited by belgerath; 04-27-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetch View Post
The sad thing is that I bet after all the madness the devs will not be as willing to have a community poll about such an important decision.
Like any of us would fall for another one of thier polls anyway.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:53 PM

shocking outcome.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:54 PM

Now pay close attention to the numbers of the poll results...

No, and I won't play if you wipe till OR - Before:162/After:161 = -1
No, but I'll still play with the Blue Frogs - Before:207/After:206 = -1
No, but I'll still play regardless - Before:290/After:310 = +20
Yes - Before:453/After:452 = -1
Yes, but with Blue Frogs(See limitations) - Before:882/After:884 = +2

Hmm...the only way you can "lose" votes in vBulletin (for those who don't know, that's the bulletin board/forum software SWGEmu uses. check the copyright line at the bottom of the page) is for an admin to "modify" the poll.

I know this for a complete and un-biased fact. I have before and continue to run my own web server which hosts vBulletin, PhpBB, and other forum software.

The poll was tampered with, I know this for a fact. You can't change your vote on your own. That is beyond the user's "privileges."

"So if you don't know, now you know."

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
i KNEW the 66.6 was going to come into play.
want to see something interesting?

20 seconds before close
http://img689.imageshack.us/i/pollam...foreclose.png/

database error, 20 sec later back up pool closed
http://img191.imageshack.us/i/pollafterclose.png/

just enough votes, all thrown in 3rd option to get it under 66.6 (Which is a statistical imposiblitly btw)
Old 04-27-2010, 03:54 PM

Old 04-27-2010, 03:55 PM

I think some important things may have been missed by some people over the past couple of days.

There were many view points put across over the last couple of days ranging from some very well put arguements either for or against all the way down to mis-informed, incorrect and misleading statements and finally childish out and out flaming.

It is fair to say that over the past few weeks it has become apparent that something was amiss and that some undesirable behaviour had occured, maybe by chance, maybe intentional but duping of items and credits seemed to be the most popular candidate - that I could see anyway. Looking at the trade forums it seemed that available cash had seemed to increase quite a lot and currency was devaluing at a fast rate.

Now, please consider for a minute the impact of the emu team using the "last resort" tactic of wiping the server would have upon not only the community we currently have but also all of those looking on, those who are following the progress but are currently staying away due to the upcoming wipe when the OR reaches completion - this potential wipe by the way keeps many people away right now but they are all watching the progress - I can name 30 people from just my guild.

Know it or not if you played pre CU swg you have already lived through, item duping, credit exploits, hacks, and all manner of things yet SOE never took the action to wipe the servers even though it would have been in their power to do so - why?

The reason is that these things that have occured do not really impact the majority of the population playing the game at that time in a serious game breaking way. We can all make multiple toons, we can all be self sufficient, we can all go and loot tapes, we can all go and loot holocrons, weapons etc etc should you desire to. Maybe you cant afford the tape on the auction forum or cant buy that 1500 max T21 as someone has duped a load of credits and bids well over the price, but actually thats not the end of the world is it - you can always go and get one yourself by farming for said item.

Consider however how many people a server wipe impacts - EVERYONE, all back to Zero at a time people were not expecting it. We all look forward im sure for the day we are told the server is going to be wiped because the OR is ready as that day we will be looking forward to added features, new things to play with etc etc but a wipe that resets to zero with no new "toys" is a lot for most people to stomach, be this a test server or not.

If a server wipe is used as the solution to things going wrong as it was potentially then as anyone with mmo experience knows that wipes will be happening quite a lot as things go wrong quite a lot in mmo's with, exploits, hacks, dupes as just as commonplace in mmo's today as they were all the way back to the very first mmo's (see Darkfall and PSO as 2 examples at either end of the time spectrum both suffering / suffered with hacks and exploits). If server wipes are the solution then the "stability" of the game also becomes questionable and when the game relies on player built items which come from randomly shifting resources (some of which only spawn once ever say 4 to 6 months) questions start to be asked about the "point" of spending your time here - this is why it is damaging to wipe when the issues do not affect everyone in the community.

Most no voters would agree that if the wipe was to add in new content or change things about then fair enough wipe away as it is for the good of the project in the long term but to wipe because some idiot has duped a load of credits, who cares, does that affect me? No it doesnt, I can still do the things I do and carry on enjoying the time I spend here.

I am afraid that shouts of "kill all the Jedi" or "uber leet weapons are killing pvp" or "I cant buy something due to duped credits" are excuses not reasons. Nothing is stopping people going overt should that be what you wish to do. Nothng is stopping people farming their own uber weapons, nothing is stopping people getting the things they need or feel they need - I have been here consistantly now for several months and I have seen all of 1 person perma teffed in Coronet looking for pvp, I havent seen people being 1 shotted all over the place by uber leet weapons every evening yet everyone cites them as a reason for not pvping just as an example.

Many will not agreee with the words I have typed and I will probably get flamed to death but dont worry this poster is +100% flame resistant, you will not offend.

PS Yes I have a Jedi, Yes I have a crafter and Yes I voted no to a wipe just incase you are wondering and I would have happily waved all that goodbye for factories but not for some overpowered weapons or duped credits.

QuiLarek - Chimaera Veteran
MiaLarek - Weaponsmith
AbeLarek - Doc
QuiqLarek - Inner Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengu-fet View Post
Wtf lol! Double Sunglasses FTW!

You don't like me? Blow me! -Dr. Dre

Kets make a poll to keep face but make it so its almost deffinately not going to swing away from our favour, i.e the 66% needed. Then when it goes bad, ninja delete thread and give some garb response.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: