SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 AM
Retired Community Deputy Director

(Posted this in the Status of Project thread, but it might get more views here.)

We have essentially 2 major things going on right now concurrently.

1) There's the OR, which as we all know is restructuring aspects of the code to be more workable, better documented, more streamlined, and easier to grasp for new devs coming on board looking to contribute. All the active developers are in some way working on this. It is a major undertaking, essential to not only our current phase growth, but to the future of communities wanting to use Core3 and build upon it.

Contrary to a posting in a recent page in this thread, this is NOT redoing the same work multiple times as a result of indecisiveness or some other failure. The SWGEmu code is huge. We've had a couple dozen devs over the years contributing to it, such is the nature of Open-Source. They come and go. While everyone did their best, not every submission was flawless and bug free. Code is integrated and bugs fixed. Over time, the complexity of the code grows to such a massive degree, that it becomes time to reevaluate (based on years of experience and work with this codeby our most veteran devs) the structure. This allows for the things i mentioned in the beginning. This is NOT a step backwards, but a step towards completing 1.0 and making a cleaner, faster codebase.

WoWEmu was mentioned. Why does it work so well? Why does it take 10 minutes to set up? Why are they done and you're not? Simple. Pre-CU SWG does not exist anymore. Anywhere. Our team is recreating one line of code at a time a dead game that hasn't existed for 4 years. The guys that did wowemu had all the code at their disposal. All they had to do is grab it. It's not a comparison that reflects what the differences in emulation between the two projects are.

2) There's a big patch coming up. This will be our next big update. Can't go into too many details, but what you don't see on the surface, is the incredible amount of time and work being devoted to this by a few developers and the many QA staff all day, every day. It may seem quiet to you on the forums, but there's a lot of action going on in private staff channels, and our internal testing server. I watch what's happening, and help out when I can testing as time permits. It's exciting, and the buzz within QA for those actively working on this is at a high peak lately.

Some common questions you might have:

When will this patch go live? As always, when it's done. Everyone seems to hate soon, but soon is the best I can offer you. I can tell you that it's coming, and it won't be months.

Why aren't more updates being posted? A couple reasons. First and foremost, everyone is busy, and I mean busy with the project as well as real life. The above information is all we can say about status right now, so we'll keep repeating it until it's time to announce something further.

Why can't you post updates about the patch being worked on? Because it would take time away from the folks working on it, mostly. Also, there's alot of goodies in it we wouldn't want to spoil the surprise of. All I can do is buffer the frustrations, assure you we are most certainly NOT sitting still, and thank you for your continued support of pre-cu swg and SWGEmu.

I hope this helps to assuage some of the curiosity and eagerness some of you are experiencing. Just remember, we're all volunteers, and we're doing our best to manage our community, our staff, and most importantly our developers working tirelessly to bring us all what we want.

Hang in there folks.

(whew, my fingers are sore)

Last edited by Ekaika; 08-20-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:01 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the status update Ekaika. Very, very much appreciated. Now go ice down those fingers

Big update, huh? Yay. I can only hope CH is part of that.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Yeah thanks very much for the update any info is welcomed and appreciated especially with all the work you guys are doing, I cant wait to see what the new patch will bring us hopefully more crafting.What ever it brings im sure the whole community will rejoice and give out lots of high fives and kisses.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the update and keep up the good work. Sometimes we (the community) seem impatient, but that's only because we LOVE the game.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the update, we were beginning to think y'all forgot about us...
we just need to read news of progress before we go to bed, like a mother singing it's baby a lullaby.

IGNS: Loftkilla <STORM> - Rude Bwoy! | Anastasia <LOFTY> - Night Nurse | Loft <STORM> - Ninja Assassin
Helpful Links of SWGEmu | Newbie Guide to EMU | Launchpad Enhanced | How to be a Beta Tester
<STORM> Combat Research | [LOFTY] Medical Resources and Crafting | Weapon Damage Formulae
Old 08-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat5560 View Post
thanks for the update and keep up the good work. Sometimes we (the community) seem impatient, but that's only because we love the game.
qft
Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Thanks for the update Eka, and thank you Devs and the rest of the STAFF for all your hard work.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 PM

I can assure everyone will enjoy the upcoming update tremendously. All I am going to say is, it'll really feel like Pre-CU live again...

Saber Trails Enhanced Mod | SWGEmu YouTube Videos
Maximus | Mona | Mau
<DOOM>
Old 08-20-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaika View Post
I can tell you that it's coming, and it won't be months.

Keep up the great work guys!

*drool*
Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 PM

awesome to just have communication from the folks at swg emu.

TY for everything emu team
Old 08-20-2009, 05:06 PM

awesome news. The excitement is too much !
Old 08-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyra View Post
I can assure everyone will enjoy the upcoming update tremendously. All I am going to say is, it'll really feel like Pre-CU live again...
Hmm... what would make it feel like live...

Missions and mission groups? A bunch of CH pets roaming the streets? Medical droids so the buff lines get out of the Med Center and into the starport? Creature lairs?

Ooh, I'm excited.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM

I never lost hope you in guys your bringing back the PreCu from the grave and doing a hell of a job /worship cant wait to see what the new updates are about
Old 08-20-2009, 05:32 PM

This patch is gonna be the bees knees

<TheyThatAre>
Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 PM

Possible spoiler I have heard that the TEF system will be back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: