SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litintha View Post
In theory, this is probably the best way to go. However, human nature is almost always impatient. People will want updates of just about anything so they don't feel left out in the rain, so to speak.
Fair enough, I support weekly/biweekly updates on the progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litintha View Post
It is helpful because getting important update information to the player servers is critical in building community involvement and support. While posting weekly, bi-weekly, tri-weekly, monthly, etc. updates here is a great thing, surprisingly enough, not everyone reads the forums. So, having reps from the player servers to come and ask questions will keep the player server communities up-to-date on the happenings with the emu is another good way to keep the community involved and interested.
If the server administrators wish to know what's going on, why don't they just check the updates forum?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:09 PM

Heh nice April Fools.. Scared me for one second precisely.

I was fooled and Ive been fooling all day today.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:16 PM

I've been around for a while now, but not really actively contributing. I'll do my best to test it out and give feedback. I really hope this SWGEmu succeeds! Long live Pre-CU!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:59 PM

For me at this time the only think i would hope to see on the SWGEmu is the NPC, Spwam, and such think working, and then we could make a stress test, to see if can take the same amount of ppl on the same spot like the last time. And on secund, the craft, since there is no Combat whitout craft on this game ( in my point of view )
Old 04-01-2007, 07:06 PM

Hmmm irc , the irc channel is like stepping back in time to when swg had its "moderated" chat rooms, anyone remember that? any one remember it being useless? anyone remember unforgiving csr's who would ban you faster than answer a question?

The point im trying to make here is , sony tried to make a chat channel to give help to players and answer questions in real time but the load was unbearable they couldnt handle the constant stream of text so instead of creating a helpful real time chat tool they ended up with a huge customer relations problem and thats what i think is happening all over again only its swgemu this time not sony
Old 04-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Former Community Manager

LSky, I'm still waiting on an explanation...

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthr...4664#post44664
Old 04-01-2007, 08:37 PM

I think the mods in general as they stand are good. Personally I find it very difficult to fully embrace the community here, with my guild and true galaxies I've had no problems what so ever. I'm trying to be more positive about the community here, I just find it difficult when someone merely passes on information to the community, for example in the deleted AHN thread, and all that member gets is flamed for passing on information important to the community. As soon as I stuck up for the guy all I got was abuse. People feel they can gain favor with you, the mods, by attacking new members, or people they deem a threat to the project. I've been with this community for well over a year and a quarter now and although it has improved vastly from when the old forums were around (especially since BigSwifty left), but its still a difficult community to feel particularly attached to. I admire all the work you guys put in, and I really am grateful for the work you do I just find the community somewhat difficult.

Last edited by Raiyden; 04-01-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:12 PM

I think that, as far as keeping people informed of the process, a thread with not just the newer additions, but also all that has been already added, would go a long way (and having that in the middle of a FAQ isn´t enough. I mean an actual thread in the updates forum organized somewhat along these lines:
Already implemented:
- A
- B
- C
Newly implemented in the past week:
- D
- E
Still to do:
- F
- G
- H
- I)
This allows for any user that wants to know how much is done and how much is left to find that out without having to ask any repeated questions. It also gives people an idea of "when it´s going to be done" without setting any deadlines whatsoever, and I would assume that the dev team has a rough idea of what they want to have in for the first "real" release.

As for community management... I can only speak for my case. I joined the forums, and was posting with interest, until I decided to ask for clarification on one of the forum rules, knowing that it may get me banned, but with the intent of avoiding breaking said rules in a more serious manner. The answer I got? My question was edited with a link to the FAQ (which I had stated that I had already read) and a rolleyes icon, plus a two week ban. Now, while I probably deserved the ban, the rest was not needed. A simple "this is also considered a violation of the rules" would have felt much nicer than just referring me to something I was saying I´d already read, it made me feel like the mod was insulting my intelligence, and that didn´t care for the intent of my post. After that, I went from checking the forums a few times a day, to checking them once every week or two, out of feeling that my presence here was more welcome as a silent observer, and not as a contributing member.

Now, to answer the original question: what can you guys do to improve? A clean slate on bans is a step in the right direction, but it´s not the only thing you can do. Sometimes, trying to bite your tongues, and doing things in a more polite way, even if it´s the same stupid question you´ve answered 1000 times, goes a long way. Trying to be patient and understanding that people can be new is important in the job of moderator, or anything that entails dealing with the community. Making things more accessible for those newbies is a great way to get you rid of some of those questions. Even breaking up the FAQ (which is quite large) into 3 or 4 different parts, dealing with different topics may help, since people are less intimidated by one page of questions than by 4, and may feel more inclined to reading it.

That´s all I can think of as of now, I´ll just add that this dialogue between the community and the team is a very positive thing, and definitely the way to go.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:12 PM

well as a noob on this forum , i offer a humble opinion.I have been on most of the swgemu groups of forums ,true gal , rogue5 ,swgem and so on,and noticed some diffrences i dont quit understand . Each gives a irc addy but few use it,some have really informitive forums but all are looking towards the same goal.First off i have to say as a good forums page true galaxies is by far the leader on discussions and trying to get input on game issues.

I would like to have everyone give our devs a standing ovation , they are busting thier backs for us . Knowing this is a major undertaking, and only doing this part time with little reward other than a job well done.After saying that we should all consider this a new begining , with each one of us helping anyway we can after all this is "OUR" community . We can joke about "when is going to be done" ,but being a father i cant tell ya how many time i wanted to kill my kids for asking that.

We should be asking for peeps with skills in web design to work forum pages, TG has correspondents for each of the areas , crafting , combat ,general to give thier opinions of how things are going on core3 and each item as it comes online. this at least allows folks who arent going into the core 3 to get some updates.

each of us is entitled to a opinion ,so lets feel free to use it. Keep it constructive and short . And if someone gives an opinion show respect ,as someone will have for your opinion.if we want this to succead we all need to pull together ,and make this project work.There isnt a more rabid pre-cu fan than myself ,but showing patience and respect of those devolping this project is a must.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:50 PM

Progress/Updates = Active/Bigger Community

>>> Lowca Ownz <<<
Toons: Gulkia (lowca), Enderr (lowca), Bank' (bloodfin)
Swgemu video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJgOHsJA3o & Classic Swg vid
Need help connecting to the swgemu test center? Click Here
Old 04-01-2007, 11:13 PM

everything looks to be going well in my opinion, i love to get on and test ect and am very happy with the way the dev team is handling the emu
Old 04-01-2007, 11:37 PM

when people ask how to setup their client does it really take so much longer to copy & paste the guide for them real quick? i mean most of the time you post the link dont you just have to take a few more seconds to copy the guide real quick?

i dont really care what happens i just wanna play pre cu

i hope there are no bugs i think the game will be really balanced w/o bugs the soe devs had it right the first time i dont see why they changed something that worked

Last edited by Balthz; 04-01-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:01 AM
ioiny

Tbh I'm really impressed by the ahn project atm. Even a ****ing dev came to our forumm registredm just to say thank you. ****ing hell =)
Old 04-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioiny View Post
Tbh I'm really impressed by the ahn project atm. Even a ****ing dev came to our forumm registredm just to say thank you. ****ing hell =)
This ahn?

That's great forum posts impress you. Core3 impresses me.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smusatto View Post
Nice find.
But yeah, I'll dive into some logs later today.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: