SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSky View Post
Nice find.
But yeah, I'll dive into some logs later today.
Still waiting...
Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 AM

I've only read the first 6-8 pages of the thread. And I don't have time to read it all tonight. But I have a couple of thoughts based on the responses I've seen.

Someone recommended more of a full scale forum with a breakdown for each class, etc. Something more proactive toward getting community involvement in the development process would be to open new forum sections related to what is being worked on, or what is coming up soon in the task list for the devs. It will serve a dual purpose of updating the community on progress, while reviving some relevant information from the dead horses of the previous forums we've had.

When I don't have time to keep up with the updates, I often wish that the first reply was reserved as the place to update the overall status of the thread. Especially when I'm just starting to read one that is over 10 pages long. When I only have to 'view first unread' from a day or two ago it's easy.

As far as dealing with the innevitable noob questions, maybe we the community need to be replying to their messages with a prefab list of links to the faq and good stickies in the forums to redirect them. Many of us would be glad to add a recommended reading list to our sigs so that we can give them a friendly Welcome and point them to the FAQ and the update section for instance. I've seen some people do this already.

I'm not going back and reading the FAQ atm. One reason is that when I click on it on the home page, or the top of this page, I end up at a screen to search the FAQ. My wife had trouble finding it for the same reason. I could find it again if I really cared to dig around and remember where it is. But I don't right now. Now to my point: If the FAQ is anything but bullet point comments most people won't actually read it. They'll skim detailed instructions and thoroughly miss the point too. I have a very detailed document (with summaries for each section even) that I have to rewrite at work for this reason. A bullet point version of information in the forum account creation might get across to more of the people. I have my doubts. But it might. Especially if it only addresses minimal points. eg, "The EMU is still being created. We do not know when it will be finished. Please read the FAQ and Update sections for more information." A good short sticky in the Introductions forum might be a good idea too. Making the FAQ link in the blue bar at the top of the page go to the actual FAQ might remove some confusion as well. And if you don't know what link I'm talking about try this, http://www.swgemu.com/forums/faq.php I've read posts where people argued with new members who didn't find the FAQ because they followed that link. And that is the FAQ link a new member is going to spot first.

I'll try to finish reading this thread in a couple of days in order to be fully up to speed with it. My apologies if I've repeated suggestions. And thanks for all the hard work.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smusatto View Post
Yeah, you can keep pressing F5 for about 8 hours. I'm going to uni first.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
Yeah, you can keep pressing F5 for about 8 hours. I'm going to uni first.
Why would I do that? I have "uni" in the AM too. Take as much time as you need to look for some examples. I'd like to know how you could back that up. If anyone wants to help him out, go for it.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I'd like to know how you could back that up.
For a start, you can find the reason why this whole discussion started in the first place.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
For a start, you can find the reason why this whole discussion started in the first place.
How does that explain why you said:

Quote:
Take on more forum staff and instruct them not to be so extremely hostile. Perhaps Smussato and especially Ultyma don't ban people for asking a question, but they sure do succeed in making the environment very unfriendly on the forums and on especially on IRC. I can give examples, but I'm sure you all know what I'm referring to.
Please quit dodging the question. If you can't back it up, just say so.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Please quit dodging the question.
I'm not, I just don't have the time to answer it this very minute. As I posted before, I'll dive into those IRC logs to make you happy. You should quit ignoring the fact that there is something wrong with this community.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
I'm not, I just don't have the time to answer it this very minute. As I posted before, I'll dive into those IRC logs to make you happy. You should quit ignoring the fact that there is something wrong with this community.
When did I ever say there was nothing wrong with this community? I didn't. I asked you to back up what you said about me. Again, take as much time as you need to look for examples. I'm patient.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
When did I ever say there was nothing wrong with this community? I didn't. I asked you to back up what you said about me. Again, take as much time as you need to look for examples. I'm patient.
I was referring to why this entire discussion thread was started in the first place. On that, if people are afraid to go on IRC or post on the forums, don't you think there is something wrong?

Old 04-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
I was referring to why this entire discussion thread was started in the first place. On that, if people are afraid to go on IRC or post on the forums, don't you think there is something wrong?
k... I'll try breaking this down as simple as possible. I'm not referring to why this entire discussion thread was started in the first place. I'm referring to you saying I "sure do succeed in making the environment very unfriendly on the forums and on especially on IRC." I'm asking you to give examples(like you said you could) of how I've done that.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
This ahn?

That's great forum posts impress you. Core3 impresses me.
Wow, way to attack someone who was trying to compliment you.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:54 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by na85 View Post
Wow, way to attack someone who was trying to compliment you.
Are you kidding? :confused:
Old 04-02-2007, 01:56 AM

Isn't that what you're doing there? I dunno, maybe I misinterpreted. Emotion doesn't transfer very well via text.

Looks like it to me, tho.

Last edited by na85; 04-02-2007 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by na85 View Post
Isn't that what you're doing there? I dunno, maybe I misinterpreted. Emotion doesn't transfer very well via text.
Yes, I believe you did misunderstand. I wasn't attacking anyone. He was complimenting anh, but he said ahn.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:05 AM

I was referring to the "that's great that forum posts impress you" part. Whatever, it's not a big deal, I just happened to be skimming the thread.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: