SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:40 PM

You have to take a look at what SWG pre-CU represented. It was, in short, freedom.

The players (community) were allowed to do whatever they felt like; they were not constantly chasing quests (EQ/WoW) or forced to PvP for everything they want to craft (Eve). Players could just relax and PvE at their leasure, craft whatever they felt like, or PvP depending on their templet and mood.

Similarly, the forums were held in similar respect. SOE (despite how much I hate them) did run a decent forums in this case. They let the community post whatever they felt like so long as they weren't spamming or obsene. What we need from our forum mods currently are kindergarden recess moniters, not a prison wardens.

Unfortunatly, no matter what happens the community will never be as it was under SOE. The reason behind this is simply that we are effectivly creating a memorial stone: It may be well kept and stable, but it will not have very much new blood to keep the low end fresh and thriving.

Please do not take what I am saying as being derogitory, because I loved SWG as much as anything else and would pick up again in a heartbeat if it were finished. But it has also been 2 years since I've killed a chuba, and I at least fear that due to being a volunteer/donation oriented group, the servers may not be entierly stable or permenent.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:17 PM

Well, I'm not going to read through 300+ posts to see if this was already mentioned, so sorry if it was.

for newbs, make a newb forum and make it self moderated. If any newb question is posted in another forum, just move it there. If people want to help out newbs, they can go there and help, others can ignore if they want. Let them ask the same question over and over without getting banned. Make an official place for it.

to generate interest, release an alpha version of the emu as it is right now. Let us get out feet wet on our own time with the existing limitation of the code. Once released to the masses, I'm sure you'll get tons of feedback. Not sure if you can do this or not, but perhaps make the alpha's expire after a certain date if you want to keep some control.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smusatto View Post
What exactly is a "normal community?"
A community where people are not afraid to go on IRC or post on the forums.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSky View Post
A community where people are not afraid to go on IRC or post on the forums.
QFE

I understand the need for the devs to focus on important things, but if you want a normal community to develop you cant silence everyone.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby View Post
QFE

I understand the need for the devs to focus on important things, but if you want a normal community to develop you cant silence everyone.
They're not silencing everyone, but when it comes to this point, something is seriously wrong.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Retired Community Deputy Director

This has turned into a witch hunt against the admin, and I think it sucks. I came here super opinionated and spoke my mind all the time, how come I never got banned? I think I know why. I spent a lot of time reading and listening before I opened my mouth, and as a result it was easy to get by. It's not easy managing a huge community, cut em some slack. (Before anyone says anything I don't know any of the staff, and I'm not in love with the emu, I'm not kissing ass).

There's some responsibility on the community's part too ya know, to get informed and try to be productive.

Now with that said, yeah there's been some stupid **** done by the staff. I don't think they knew what they were getting into with managing a huge community. Ok, so they made some mistakes. This isn't a professionally run and funded project. They're learning, this thread makes that obvious. Cut some slack.

If you all use this fuel to fan the fires and keep on about who said what and who was too mean before, we might lose the project. Just let it go and have some faith that they want to do the right thing just like you want to play the game again. It'll all work out if everyone keeps their cool.

Thanks to the community to wanting to participate and thanks to the staff for making this possible.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:13 PM

I do hope the problem will be fixed from now on. We shall see.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey View Post
We have 8k members I dont see why people don't get on IRC or create forum topics and discuss.

SWGEmu isn't going to succeed without a willing community. This community is doing a piss poor job of working to build a better community for the future precu.

Please encourage your friends who played precu to join and participate in dicussions on the forum. PLEASE give suggestions, we read them. What do you want to be able to do with scriptable npcs? What are you looking for in a server? What if...

There are tons of things you can do to make SWGEmu better, without having to be on the staff. Just help others out and SHARE ideas. Don't wait for updates and post "good job" every month or so. You wont be banned if you follow the rules and be respectful.

If you want to know what we're working on:
Crafting (research)
Clustering (beginning in core3, oru's planning that I think)
Npcs/mobs (core3)

I was primarily a research guy but I'm learning the ropes of core3 to help TA and Oru. Once a few more things are added I will ask oru about doing another stress test with more content. But before that we need a stable community.

I've done this sort of thing twice before with little success, I'll have another go at it.

Suggestions?
Are you joking or what? i come here and read whats going on,because i know if ask something not only with other people flame me,but the devs will too..bash the hell out of you more than and reg. poster here will..GEESH you have some balls saying that about us..most are in fear of saying anything cause your dam mods will ban the hell out of them for dumb things...
and yes i know i stand a good chance at getting banned,because i'm bashing a dev of sorts...

but i'm sick and tired of all the b.s from yall..
when yall want to grow up some, I might be back..but then again...**** this..all i see is problems left and right.. devs getting pushed out ,devs ripping off money that was gving to them to help with this project.. I see nothing ever coming out of this..CAUSE OF PISS POOR LEADERSHIP OF IT,and the blaming of everyone else but yall for problems with it...GROW UP PEOPLE!remeber no one ask anyone to do this,this is something people got to gether to do for the love of the game..i guess you forgot about that,and the devs are on a god trip...

nOW go ahead and flame me Mr.nubs ROFL
Old 04-02-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akow View Post
Are you joking or what? i come here and read whats going on,because i know if ask something not only with other people flame me,but the devs will too..bash the hell out of you more than and reg. poster here will..GEESH you have some balls saying that about us..most are in fear of saying anything cause your dam mods will ban the hell out of them for dumb things...
and yes i know i stand a good chance at getting banned,because i'm bashing a dev of sorts...

but i'm sick and tired of all the b.s from yall..
when yall want to grow up some, I might be back..but then again...**** this..all i see is problems left and right.. devs getting pushed out ,devs ripping off money that was gving to them to help with this project.. I see nothing ever coming out of this..CAUSE OF PISS POOR LEADERSHIP OF IT,and the blaming of everyone else but yall for problems with it...GROW UP PEOPLE!remeber no one ask anyone to do this,this is something people got to gether to do for the love of the game..i guess you forgot about that,and the devs are on a god trip...

nOW go ahead and flame me Mr.nubs ROFL
Well I'm gonna have to say the Devs are a lot better than they use to be. I haven't seen them ban anyone in a long time myself and I try to visit the forums a couple times a week. Umm Ramsey isn't really a Dev of Sorts he is a Dev here at SWGEMU if it wasn't for him we would be a lot further behind. Also if I were the devs here I would ban everyone who talks crap about me its their forums why shouldn't they be able to do what they want. But really I'd have to say they are really restraining themselfs it'd be nice if people could restrain themselfs too.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywalker17 View Post
I read the forums everyday. I don't, however, usually make any posts, because 90% of what I read on the forums are people getting trashed for asking a question.
That's very true. I try to stay out of discussions for fear of the wrath of closing my thread or getting flamed for asking a "silly question."

There have been times when I looked around for the answer to a question and couldn't find it without digging around. I didn't want to ask anyone so I kept digging and, yes, finally found what I needed without posting. However, that sort of environment encourages people not to post for fear of The Flame.

I'll admit, I haven't read but the first couple of pages of this thread and don't know if it this was addressed later on here. But it seems that there are much fewer "THREAD CLOSED - READ THE FAQ" threads in the list of discussions, so maybe the board is friendlier now since this was brought up.

I just want my REAL SWG again! I can't wait for this thing to get running fulltime!

BTW, how do I log into SWGEMU? (joke )
Old 04-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Former Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioiny View Post
Your a mod for a reason arent you? And don't bring this spare time crap up again. Really it's starting to get ****ing used. I wank on my sparetime, I don't get paid for that eather.
Im not brownnosing ****ing anh eather, I wont even go into the amount of those swgemu threads here. But anh generally took alot of things smoother then ultyma and co. I've said it before, communications between community and devs are the most important thing and that is what I wanted to say in my post.

swgemu FAILS in communication.
Wow...

Let's see. Yes, I'm a mod for a reason. What's wrong with pointing out I do this in my spare time? You expect me to act as a professional would, yet I'm not a professional. I think it's something relevant to point out. It's not my fault you failed to understand. Hate to break it to you, but there's a difference between me modding this forum and you "wanking."

You weren't brown nosing them? Let's review...

Quote:
Tbh I'm really impressed by the ahn project atm. Even a ****ing dev came to our forumm registredm just to say thank you. ****ing hell =)
and

Quote:
Tbh xeno,snow, mugly, tmr, ready, Ketuspringa, rouse, htx, jack, schmunzel, yosh, exca impress me.

information, generall communication > core 3
Riiight... That certainly wasn't even remotely close to brown nosing.

Who do you think you're fooling?

Quote:
But anh generally took alot of things smoother then ultyma and co.
What does that mean? Lest we forget that nearly all the "draconian" ban happy ex mods from SWGEMU's previous forums are now ANH mods. Real smooth...
Old 04-02-2007, 09:07 PM

what i would like to see in a swg world

ok this is my first post . i am not sure if this is the kinda stuff you are looking for si if noot let me know and i will find the apropreate post i am looking for a server that doesnot give jedis to everyone i liked the idea of not knowing how to become a jedi .i also liked to be able to create my own toon a little combate medic aliitle bounty hunter a little creature handler so to me the more i can personalize my own toon the better. also i liked have crafter creat elite items if i can afford a bad ass pistol then if i can find someone to create then let me pay for it. so quess i am also saying let their be drops of materials and craftings skills that differ also so one weapon smith might be able make kick ass dps and another may have killer damage . but if one guy polls all his charcter points(for lack of a better name) in weapon smithing and he creates kick ass weapons dont hurt penilize him for wanting to only be a kick ass weapon smither. ibelive that some people only want to craft and if that is the case then let em and help them as much as you help the combate toons
the one thing i enjoyed when i played swg was that it was a role playing game when it was all said and done i made great friends. even when i would royaly get my butt kicked on a bounty hunter mission i new i could buy better weapons ,better armor and i could try again. it was so awsome when i got my first kill and it took me 15 time =s to get it right and every time it was like my first hansds sweety nervous etc that is what i am looking for in your version of star wars.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:19 PM

I personally couldn't care less if the admins are *******s or not. That being said, I can understand why some people can view them in such a way. But would you always be in a good mood if you were trying to reverse engineer a game with some much code in it, not to mention the code there trying to remove? And as far as what I would like to see in the EMU is just as it state, a SWG pre CU. Thats it. Yes it would be nice if Jedi were implemented from the gate. But as someone has stated (cant remember who) it will be just not right away, which is cool. In closing, just let them do what they do. Make the game pre CU. The less aggravation they have to deal with, the faster and more involved they will get to it. I say thanks to the tech and code savy chaps trying to make the game the way it should have been from the start. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:22 PM

I've been here for a few weeks now, and have to say generally people are pretty helpful. I've been flamed on once about something when installing the game (hey man not my fault, no where in the guide does it say to put the file checker in the swg main folder i just put it in my debug desktop folder) but generally if you follow the guidelines in the IRC then you won't get flamed I mean that's why there is test swgemusetup and swgemu each for their own purpose, and normally if someone asks something not related to their current channel they are directed to the right one. I have seen some people get seriously flamed, but it's becoming a rarity.

And as far as progress I think they've done and incredible job. I mean even on the original pre cu servers if you got more than 300 hundred people in a single cell location like around the spaceport in theed the game would lag bad, I've seen near as many people in a single location in a city on dan' and no lag what so ever. I understand there are no pre-rendered npc and player items to slow down the server but still it says very little for SOE when a handful of guys with little to no financial backing can backwards engineer their product and then make it run smoother than they could.

Scripted NPC would be nice, the only thing I felt it really lacked were more npc drived quest, only terminal. It would flesh a lot out for scripted quest and actualy item quest rewards instead of just creds, especially in the beginning when crafters havent established themselves. On to crafting, I hear you guys have that pretty much down pat, just working on algebra scripts. I would agree to maybe specified volunteer work groups. Say a group commissioned for finding animations, and another group testing inconsistancy travel bugs and so on so forth. And an IRC channel for those specific things with a written guideline for being in that group to cut down on clutter, unnecessary talking and flaming, as well accomplishing an objective in an entertaining way while making the community feel as if they really are a part of its developement

Last edited by deity_shadow; 04-03-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 PM

Questions Board/Forums

This is my quick input.

I think there should be a questions forum.

All questions posted are anonymous, and people can answer how ever they wish. If the poster believes the question has been or hasn't been answered, the question will remain open, else it is closed.

Q/A's are then moved into an non-editable archived area which can be used for reference.

Maybe, for a bonus, in order to post in the questions area, you have to type your question in a search bar, which will search both the question area and the archived area for that question. That way, it reduces the amount of questions. Obviously there would be a moderator to watch this area.

The same could be done for suggestions area.

Hopefully this makes sense =)
Closed Thread