SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobreeze View Post
Are you saying you don't have hope anything is being fixed?
Don't put words in my mouth, Lobreeze. I never said that I didn't believe it wasn't being fixed. I said I hoped that they would let us know in a timely manner what things are being corrected when the server goes down, instead of just some random crash without knowing what kinks are being sorted out.

I'm not the only one who has been wondering (for instance, last nights crash that happened twice) what was being fixed and if it actually got fixed or needed more work done. We are even suppose to have weekly updates, which really hasn't been happening. Anytime someone asks about a bug, or a fix, or anything regarding issues, it never really gets answered and just looked over until it's silently solved.

Now, I'm not trying to complain, or *****. I am just stating, it would be nice, if we knew what was being worked on, rather than having crashes that are happening to silently fix certain problems. It would also help reduce the amount of multiple threads on certain bugs if people knew things were being fixed, and what they were. The forums would not be in such a clutter with the same posts, and there wouldn't be as many questions as to when something is going to be worked on.

As in my post here that was silently moved without anyone responding in regards to my questions.
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthr...759#post424759

Odissa: Master Image Designer/Master Tailor

Arihanna: Master Rifleman/Master Combat Medic

Blutsaugerin: Master Doctor

Making gamers out of moms since 1996'

http://www.alloutassault.net
Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM

i had the same idea last year or so, but the point was made that it would be better if they just fixed the problem rather then fixing it then taking out thier time to explain what the problem was. that would cut down on actual production time. at least thats how it was explained to me.

Back on topic though, i belive the server is deadlocked right now.

Last edited by Ratchet' Autobot; 10-01-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GestorterEngel View Post
Don't put words in my mouth, Lobreeze. I never said that I didn't believe it wasn't being fixed. I said I hoped that they would let us know in a timely manner what things are being corrected when the server goes down, instead of just some random crash without knowing what kinks are being sorted out.

I'm not the only one who has been wondering (for instance, last nights crash that happened twice) what was being fixed and if it actually got fixed or needed more work done. We are even suppose to have weekly updates, which really hasn't been happening. Anytime someone asks about a bug, or a fix, or anything regarding issues, it never really gets answered and just looked over until it's silently solved.

Now, I'm not trying to complain, or *****. I am just stating, it would be nice, if we knew what was being worked on, rather than having crashes that are happening to silently fix certain problems. It would also help reduce the amount of multiple threads on certain bugs if people knew things were being fixed, and what they were. The forums would not be in such a clutter with the same posts, and there wouldn't be as many questions as to when something is going to be worked on.

As in my post here that was silently moved without anyone responding in regards to my questions.
http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthr...759#post424759
Well that thread you are linking, in all honesty, is a qq and ETA thread. Nothing more. What did you really hope to gain from that post? Did you honestly think it would be taken seriously?? Do you realize the irony of commenting on forum clutter, then linking one of those very threads?

You know policy on asking for ETA's on ANYTHING. Also, you clearly stated that the bug has been acknowledged and reported multiple times already. So what really is the point in the thread? Plus if it was moved that means it was posted in the wrong place as well...

I'm not putting words in anyones mouth. The way you said the hope thing conveyed that hope was lacking. You can say you aren't *****ing or complaining all you want, that doesn't mean that you aren't.

Personally I don't think its the devs job to report every time something happens/crashes. Nobody is getting paid for anything nor is anyone paying for anything. So stop being so demanding. NOBODY OWES ANYBODY ANYTHING other than our gratitude.

Quote:
i had the same idea last year or so, but the point was made that it would be better if they just fixed the problem rather then fixing it then taking out thier time to explain what the problem was. that would cut down on actual production time. at least thats how it was explained to me.
Bingo!

Sorry for the wall o' text but some people's misplaced sense of entitlement REALLY bothers me for some reason.

Last edited by Lobreeze; 10-01-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet' Autobot View Post

Back on topic though, i belive the server is deadlocked right now.
I call that a big excuse for not sharing with the community what should be shared so more problems and questions don't happen.

Quote:
Well that thread you are linking, in all honesty, is a qq and ETA thread. Nothing more.

You know policy on asking for ETA's on ANYTHING. Also, you clearly stated that the bug has been acknowledged and reported multiple times already. So what really is the point in the thread? Plus if it was moved that means it was posted in the wrong place as well...

I'm not putting words in anyones mouth. The way you said the hope thing conveyed that hope was lacking. You can say you aren't *****ing or complaining all you want, that doesn't mean that you aren't.

Personally I don't think its the devs job to report every time something happens/crashes. Nobody is getting paid for anything nor is anyone paying for anything. So stop being so demanding. NOBODY OWES ANYBODY ANYTHING other than our gratitude.

Bingo!

Sorry for the wall o' text but some people's misplaced sense of entitlement REALLY bothers me for some reason.
As I stated in the post itself, it wasn't a QQ or ETA thread, I was simply requesting that it be acknowledged and that it would be nice to have updates on what happens during server crashes as far as fixes. If you took it wrong, after I already stated otherwise, then I guess that's your problem.

I don't owe anyone gratitude, if you're developing a game, getting paid, or doing it for free, you have certain responsibilities. Everyone knows this. You can't over look them because you're not getting paid for it, that's absurd. I'm not *****ing, but you are making more out of this than I intended and taking it the wrong way.

Don't be so judgmental when it comes to text, it's not that easy to read attitude into it. We all have our own opinions and wishes and I'm doing nothing but expressing mine and making sure these problems that need fixed before anything else are being acknowledged and worked on.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:24 PM

every beta i have played has always allowed you 5 to 10 mins notice of the server going down. and thats what this is, its a beta test for a game that is 6 years old.and i dont think this game should be treated any differently than any other. I think it would be nice to have a little bit of a notice even if they DONT tell us what they are taking it down for at least.
A: so we can find a safe place to log out
B: so we can disconnect and have less of a chance of being rolled back.
And from what i see on the forms they have made close to 2000 dollars last month so they are indeed getting paid. It may be going back into the project but they are still receiving money to help assist them.

A simple system message that says the server is shutting down in 5 mins would be nice.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GestorterEngel View Post
I call that a big excuse for not sharing with the community what should be shared so more problems and questions don't happen.

As I stated in the post itself, it wasn't a QQ or ETA thread, I was simply requesting that it be acknowledged and that it would be nice to have updates on what happens during server crashes as far as fixes. If you took it wrong, after I already stated otherwise, then I guess that's your problem.

I don't owe anyone gratitude, if you're developing a game, getting paid, or doing it for free, you have certain responsibilities. Everyone knows this. You can't over look them because you're not getting paid for it, that's absurd. I'm not *****ing, but you are making more out of this than I intended and taking it the wrong way.

Don't be so judgmental when it comes to text, it's not that easy to read attitude into it. We all have our own opinions and wishes and I'm doing nothing but expressing mine and making sure these problems that need fixed before anything else are being acknowledged and worked on.
On the bug tracker confirmed and assigned. What more do you want?
As I said before just because you say its not a QQ ETA thread, doesn't change the fact that it is.

You can point at a rock, tell everyone its not a rock, but it's still a rock.

Quote:
I don't owe anyone gratitude,
Sigh... if you don't even have gratitude then sit down, shut up or gtfo. Feel free to come back when 1.0 launches

And making more out of this as you intended? You starting bringing other threads into this so... Do you even have any kind of relevant programming background so everything doesn't need to be broken down and baby fed in layman terms? Worst thing EVER is trying to explain something to someone who doesn't know their ass from a whole in the ground in regards to what you are explaining.

Last edited by Lobreeze; 10-01-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnrue View Post
every beta i have played has always allowed you 5 to 10 mins notice of the server going down. and thats what this is, its a beta test for a game that is 6 years old.and i dont think this game should be treated any differently than any other. I think it would be nice to have a little bit of a notice even if they DONT tell us what they are taking it down for at least.
A: so we can find a safe place to log out
B: so we can disconnect and have less of a chance of being rolled back.
And from what i see on the forms they have made close to 2000 dollars last month so they are indeed getting paid. It may be going back into the project but they are still receiving money to help assist them.

A simple system message that says the server is shutting down in 5 mins would be nice.
Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRush View Post
Let me just throw out some facts to aid with this discussion:

1) This is a Test Center, not a live production server.
2) We went out of our way to provide the community with something fun to hold them over until the OR is completed.
3) We are starting work on the OR.
4) There is no bug in the code. We provide you with the message so you know we are taking it down purposefully as opposed to it crashing unexpectedly. After the message is broadcast, we are killing the server by console to update and bring it back up as soon as possible.
5) Saves are every 5 minutes per player. Let me explain that a little better:
Player A logs in at 15:00 hours. Player B logs in at 15:02 hours. Player A saves at 15:05 hours. Player B saves at 15:07 hours.

Let's say that at 15:11 we put out a theoretical 5 minute warning until server shutdown. That means that at 15:16 the server will be shutdown.

Player A will save at 15:15 - so he makes the mark. Player B will save at 15:17 - he doesn't - 4 minutes of time lost.
Now you say, well fine make it six minutes. Well, now Player A is losing a minute of play. "He should have logged out when he saw the message". - True, but what if he doesn't, or better yet, what if someone else logs in after the 5 minute warning, and loses a minute of play before they receive the message that it is going down in 4 minutes?
There is only one acceptable solution to this matter: saving all loaded players to the database at server shutdown. That is ideal, and will be in effect in the OR, but currently, it is roadblocked by some nasty bugs we have given up on chasing down because they will inherently be fixed in the OR.

Please accept our sincerest apologies on inconveniencing you, the players, and for not giving you enough notice prior to a server restart in which we are implementing fixes to enhance your game-play experience - fixes which are independent altogether of the OR.

Thanks for your continuing support,
-cRush, SWGEmu Developer

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 10-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't jump in here, but as long as we're expressing opinions...

In regards to the responsibilities of the developers of SWGEmu, I feel they only have the responsibility to do what they do right. That's it. They responsible for how much they do or how often, they have no need to let us know what they're up to or not bothering with, and they certainly don't need to listen to us if they don't feel like it.

All I feel they need to have a sense of responsibility for in taking up this task is that it is done RIGHT, and I truly believe they have it.

They can let us know what they're working on if they want, and there may be some benefit to the project when they do that, but it is not required of them in any way, shape, or form. As far as I see it, they are working for the game, and we are working for them. We are playing/testing the game they are re-creating, and if we consider ourselves testers, then what we do is to help them.

And, in agreement with Ratchet's on-topic comment, I too am thinking the server is deadlocked.... No wait, as I was writing that the user count jumped. Maybe it's running again... Yep, I think I just logged in.

Just my thoughts,
Poocho
Old 10-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
Here...
yea, i seen that, but i havnt seen a system message. oh wait do you mean that one that says "server shutting down in 30 secs" then it goes down .3 seconds later?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
As I said before just because you say its not a QQ ETA thread, doesn't change the fact that it is.

Sigh... if you don't even have gratitude then sit down, shut up or gtfo. Feel free to come back when 1.0 launches

And making more out of this as you intended? You starting bringing other threads into this so... Do you even have any kind of relevant programming background so everything doesn't need to be broken down and baby fed in layman terms? Worst thing EVER is trying to explain something to someone who doesn't know their ass from a whole in the ground in regards to what you are explaining.
I think you just want to be an ass to people and stir sh*t
Old 10-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:

And this can be an on going circle of repetitiveness with your argument, just because YOU think I am *****ing about it, doesn't mean I am. I am simply expressing my opinions, and I'm quite sure that is NOT against any policy on this website. Deal with it, don't like, don't read it. If anything you're the one QQing for me expressing how *I* feel the game should be dealt with.

I brought the other thread into this as an example of my explanation on how I felt things weren't being dealt it. It wasn't intentional for you to add onto it, you could have simply ignored this whole thread and we would have had no added drama on here, or more bickering. But face it, I'm a woman, and if you're going to bicker with me, I'm going to bicker back, and I'm sure you won't stop, so sooner or later this thread will get locked and all of this will be ignored as usual.

And you don't have to have programming experience to know how betas work, should work, and aren't working. Play one beta and it'll give you enough experience to realize when something isn't going right. Just because they're doing this for free doesn't change the fact it's still a game being developed (6 years now, is that what I read?) that rarely has issues explained as far as de-bugging and fixes go.

BTW: I do think you mean, "Someone who doesn't know their ass from a HOLE in ground." Try not to get so angry when typing, you might be able to do it correct next time.

Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one, and you are acting like one due to mine. Lovely how that works, aye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poocho View Post
Hmm, maybe I shouldn't jump in here, but as long as we're expressing opinions...

In regards to the responsibilities of the developers of SWGEmu, I feel they only have the responsibility to do what they do right. That's it. They responsible for how much they do or how often, they have no need to let us know what they're up to or not bothering with, and they certainly don't need to listen to us if they don't feel like it.

All I feel they need to have a sense of responsibility for in taking up this task is that it is done RIGHT, and I truly believe they have it.

They can let us know what they're working on if they want, and there may be some benefit to the project when they do that, but it is not required of them in any way, shape, or form. As far as I see it, they are working for the game, and we are working for them. We are playing/testing the game they are re-creating, and if we consider ourselves testers, then what we do is to help them.

And, in agreement with Ratchet's on-topic comment, I too am thinking the server is deadlocked.... No wait, as I was writing that the user count jumped. Maybe it's running again... Yep, I think I just logged in.

Just my thoughts,
Poocho
And as a tester, I was only trying to be helpful in lending my opinion and how I felt it would be better, and easier on them if they did these changes, as I've played many betas I've realized that's the best way to go about things instead of ignoring the community as a whole and only having certain updates on things. Again, just all my opinion and they certainly do not have to listen to me.

Last edited by GestorterEngel; 10-01-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:25 PM

I have read no less than 20 replies from lobreeze and I don't think he's said anything nice about anything. Always has some smart ass remark. I would suggest changing your in-game name before you piss so many people off that nobody wants anything to do with you or your goods.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:46 PM

Maybe you should take a look at the quality of posts I reply to.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by GestorterEngel
"But face it, I'm a woman, and if you're going to bicker with me, I'm going to bicker back"

Funny sh*t. <3
Old 10-01-2009, 04:50 PM

We all know what posts you reply to, you reply to anyone with an opinion that you do not agree to. You reply to anyone that has a post that is easily mistaken for drama, so you can further make yourself look like an ass.

Face it, you're a common troll. You don't reply to anything helpful, and you're never nice in any of your replies.

Why don't you just try not replying at all, so people with actual ideas, opinions and ways to help out the community, aren't afraid to post and aren't afraid of getting someone like you in their thread.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: