SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.69 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Communications Director (On Leave)
CommunicationsManagerAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrom View Post
Will un-approved servers have access to the same up to date software with no limitations?
The engine is not open source, all of the SWG side of things will always be available to the public, however, servers will have to obtain unrestricted binaries to not have the current public limitations. The difference is that the unrestricted binaries will come with more hands on support than the public binaries and have none of the current limitations. More details on that as launch becomes closer.

www.swgemu.com | max@swgemu.com

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.

Last edited by Kyle; 12-30-2008 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-30-2008, 01:14 AM

Wooooooooooooooooooot

I love it! I love you!
Can't wait!

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Ovak Nik (Master Bounty Hunter) - Corbantis
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinney View Post
So Max, you have stated that you will play on EuroChim, but as you know words are cheap.

Also the method SWGEMU propose to implement to get around the monopoly is for the people running the monopoly to authorise official servers.

Independent servers have to go through some sort of screening process and the people running the monopoly (SWGEMU) are the same people to grant that qualification?

It still sounds terribly unfair to me.

Push come to shove, when someone hears about an Pre-CU emulator and they have a choice between:

SunCrusher
Euro-Chim
TrueGalaxies
X server
Y server
Z server

Where do you think 99.9% of people are going to go?

And if the other .1% are who decide SC is not for them, they're directed to a choice of other APPROVED SWGEMU servers.

Dress it up however you like but its still a monopolistic strategy.

The only way to get around this problem is not to host a server at all. If the motives of the SWGEMU team are as honourable as everyone says, then theres nothing to be lost.
However, if there is some underlying strategy going on here, then SWGEMU will continue on this path.
There have been polls done. 99.9% of people have been begging SWGEmu to host an official server for years. i personally have an easier time trusting my money to a time-tested, well organized, knowledgeable team here than anywhere else.

Regardless, TG and EuroChim have huge communities already(TG has 28,000 forum registrants, EC has 46,000), if their communities are as strong as they boast, they should have no problem maintaining a preCU-ish population.

what does SWGEmu have to benefit from a monopoly of players anyway? Even if they attract the majority of players simply because of their reliability and thoroughness (which i'd bet on), its not like they're cheating anybody out of anything. No money is involved, or ever will be (aside from donations to keep the wheels turning). Players will play wherever they feel the best community and reliable staff. Nobody can fault the SWGEmu team for developing a supportive community and amazing staff.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:56 AM

Stinney, whats you point? I really don't get you.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinch View Post
this is a day of great sadness for the emu communities around the world.
If these means that we will not be able to build a private server to mess around with, then I agree. That is the part I was looking forward to. I really wanted to have my own server to explore and play around with. I could care less about opening my own server up to the public. I have done the same thing with WoW servers in the past.

Do not get me wrong, having a public server is a great thing and should be loads of fun for all. I plan on joining one for my normal play.

"The NGE is the GREATEST thing that ever happened - Blizzard"
Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 AM

As I understand it, anyone will be able to create a private server... even if they do not meet any of the requirements the Emu team implements. Those requirements however must be met in order to become a certified* server.

If you want to compile the Source and run it, you can. It's Open Source and there's absolutely nothing to stop you from doing so. If you want to generate a large population for your server, one of the ways to do so would be to meet the requirements that will be set, and register* the server w/ the Emu project.

* Register and Certified would be my terms... just to clarify the jist of it. I don't know what the complete process will be, not sure the devs do yet either.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Inactive Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequineternal View Post
The server will be wiped? Whats the point of grinding in a server if you don't get to reap the rewards? If its gonna get wiped before launch then I won't bother until launch.
I am guessing you never played in another game's beta phase before. Just about every game released has a beta phase in which people play the game normally and when the game is released, everything is wiped. What we are doing is no different.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 PM

Christmas present

I couldn't ask for a better present!!!
thank you soooooooooo much!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:38 PM

This is great. Having been following SWGEmu for years, it's so exciting to see that it will finally be in a "playable" server state soon!

Can't wait for Sun Crusher to be open.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Forum Moderator

I love how this announcement is bringing out the members that registered along time ago, I told my friend about it and he said once the playable server is up he will start testing.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Developer
Developer

I would say wait until more information is released on how servers will be listed before making judgements
Old 12-30-2008, 04:39 PM

im simply amazed at the ammount of ungratefullness some of theese posters are showing.

And to stinney. Let me get this straight. You are worried that the people who made the game may want to use the game they have coded from the ground up and be succesfull with it? They coded the damned thing and i suppor their server even if it has 75% of the total pop across all severs. its their game not ours.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 PM

Holy moley!

This is amazing news guys. Well done on getting this far.
Like many others, I look forward to TC:SC
Old 12-30-2008, 09:31 PM

This is amazing.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 PM

i got it now all the people bashing this move are accounts made by that little f--got SMED.

Last edited by bigbenz; 12-30-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: