SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

View Poll Results: Do you support a full wipe of TC:Nova?
yes 603 63.27%
no 350 36.73%
Voters: 953. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.20 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 AM

I would like to see this post cleared and re-opened and people allowed to put in a vote on the revised statement. And ALSO to see that the forums are double checked to see if there are people creating new forum accounts or forum accounts being made without actual game accounts being utilized. The number of yes votes has jumped EXTREMELY high very quickly, too quickly some would say, and I think this kind of a decision would behoove the devs to be sure it's not "rigged". per se.
Falceon Feir - Pistoleer/BH
Krysan Feir- MDoc/swordsman
Galaxy Harvester- Falceon
Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 AM

wipe and fix group xp please
Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adler1984 View Post
" What we propose changing
* Revising the jedi unlock
* Implementing credit duping fixes
* Implementing item duping fixes
* Better equalizing crafted items and looted item quality
* Fixing bazaar exploits

This would mean that everything would be deleted; characters, accounts, items, etc. We will NOT consider any partial deletes because they would just cause big problems.

Advantages: Duped economy would be reset, jedi would be more of a mystery again.
Disadvantages: Everything done on TC for the last 6 months would be gone. "

Okay, I know I haven't been on TC the longest period of time yet, but I honestly look at this proposal as one that doesn't have much of a point. Aside from changing the Jedi unlock system a bit (which would then nullify everything that everyone's done to late in order to get their Jedi), and POSSIBLY seeing more equality among crafted and looted items (my question would be HOW this would be implemented... would they nerf looted weps or would they actually provide GOOD resources for crafters?) there aren't any tangible benefits to wiping and restarting with the same old code + a couple of tweaks.

Who would this really benefit? As for testing the server, having the large number of items and characters to keep a database of, plus the existing server population would seem to test the server even more than wiping it, and implementing a slight content switch with Jedi (which could be buggy or near impossible to figure out) or an undisclosed means of making the items in game more on par, crafting and looting wise.

I vote No as there are too many variables at this time, and not enough information has been released on the HOWS and WHATS of what would be done in order to make the wipe actually beneficial. I honestly could also see how it could push a lot of people into just stopping playing for awhile or altogether as all the work they put into their characters was toasted just to implement a credit/item dupe fix, tweak Jedi a bit, and possibly make craftable items more equal. Not a HUGE benefit for such a big loss.

I see a lot of posts saying "I vote yes if..." Well what if the "if..." doesn't come to pass? Are there any people who are going to STOP playing if no wipe Pre- OR hits? Are there any people who'll come back if a wipe happens and resets it to zero? If we're wanting to test the server, having as many people playing/running characters, collecting items, placing harvesters, adding inventory, etc... will test the server. It just seems this wipe has WAY too many unknowns that could backfire.

What if the new Jedi system doesn't work right and has to be reverted? What if instead of craftable schems being bugged, harvesters end up being completely useless again? Too many variables when you talk about wiping, then changing the code. As it is now, we all pretty much know the ins and outs of the bugs and problems, and a wipe is counterproductive to that...especially when bugfixes on TC are not even being targeted anymore.

If there was an addition of EXTRA CONTENT to actually TEST, i.e. CH, Houses, Backpacks, etc... in prep for OR, then I'd be all for it... but there's nothing really beneficial to this wipe.

Just my two cents.
Bump
Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 AM

All i can say, it's the Test Center for cry sakes, that we are actually able to play it while work is being done is advantage. No one expected it to be live server and everything to work perfectly. Just leave server as it is, while work is being done. And people, who plays on TC, should stop taking Test server as Live one.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinbox View Post

also couldn't the blue frogs be set up just to give you professions rather than items as well?
heres a good question
Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx2k View Post
All i can say, it's the Test Center for cry sakes, that we are actually able to play it while work is being done is advantage. No one expected it to be live server and everything to work perfectly. Just leave server as it is, while work is being done. And people, who plays on TC, should stop taking Test server as Live one.
i like your sig
Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
Doesn't matter what i think, poll results are pretty clear.
Unfortunately the poll is the way it is in part because of people like Raydowning, who said:

Quote:
I'm new to TC:Nova but if it adds more content to the game then yes go ahead and wipe maybe even put is space so I can fly agen :-)
Its seems a lot of people are voting w/o even realizing what will change. I would have voted yes if something major being implemented, such as player housing or the CH prof. As it stands the current TC means almost nothing to the development of the OR. I think we should just let the devs completely concentrate on the OR at this point. The sooner its out, the better.

Also unfortunate is how the majority of this thread de-evolved into a flame war between the more common posters on this forums. That and a slinging of insults such as anyone who said everyone voting no is just some QQer afraid to lose their jedi.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 AM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Well one thing is for sure...

Most people have no idea what is the current purpose of NOVA, what the developers are doing, what OR is, what's gonna happen after the OR, difference between OR and SC.

Strange.

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:03 AM

Talking wow

wow i had no idea there were that many exploits etc. It will be good to see TC with alot of this fixed up. But kinda sad to see all our toons gone.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:04 AM

I voted NO. Simply because this discussed wipe achieves very little.

If updates, bug fixes and content were added then fine but it's not. Very little is going to change. So a new way to unlock will be available, then what? We start all over again when people figure it out? The flame wars will just start again.

IF the Devs NEED to wipe the server becuase of the work they are doing then I fully support it.
If the Devs DONT NEED to wipe the server because of the work they are doing then I really see no point.

Please Devs, do what you NEED to do, ignore all whines and moans either way.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:06 AM

Everyone is calling for a wipe saying it will fix the economy. That would be great if it were true but, the truth of the matter is, cheaters are cheaters, and anyone that is duping credits or items will figure out another way to do it. You can say the problem will be fixed and yes, perhaps that will be the case with the current method they are using to do it. However, few bugs an exploits are fixed until they are identified by the players. Look at the facts, economies inflate over time. It happens in life, it happens in games. Adapt and overcome.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:08 AM

Granted, the codebase is being re-written. Technical aspects of testing on TC:Nova are significantly less important, as they won't apply to the new codebase.

But I think there's some considerable value in seeing if the "core concepts" behind the economy hold steady with as much illegitimate credit and resource removed as possible. The best way to do this would be to wipe it, patch it up, and see if it works.

If the ideas behind a working economy and Jedi system turn out to be flawed, new ideas can be implemented into OR, and ultimately run live in Suncrusher.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:10 AM

And see if i works? Why dont we wait and do something we know that works...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 AM

Hello all!

Ive had an interensting few days. I was really frustrated about me stuck at barely, and some other things. So because of that, and out of pure curiousity, i decided to check out the 14 days trial version of NGE. I thought maybe these past 2 years they changed some of the crap back to a more playable game. I started, created a character, and got so annoyed and angry in 5 minutes, that i deleted the whole thing and swore never to go back there.

What we have here is already a great game with huge potential, will be better with each passing month and every wipe. Thank you for the devs for their hard work.

I remember the time before CU hit and before NGE hit. I remember SOE just telling players that they will change the whole game experience, I remember tons of players singing, dancing and protesting in all major cities and begging SOE not to do this. SwgEmu devs give us an option, which is really fantastic I belive. Thank you for asking and listening.

I voted yes on the wipe. Partial wipes would only cause more problems they say. If thats so, wipe everything. I do not think that the player base would drop. Everyone knows this is a TC.

I really dont like the idea of Blue frogs or Gungans. That ruins gameplay for me and takes away the fun-factor.

I would like to know though:

- what kind of new features are we talking about?
- if the TC will be wiped, when will that happen? Right now? This week? In a month?
- what will prevent players to hack/exploit again?
- how do you plan on finding and punishing hackers/exploiters in the future?

I fully support the jedi unlock changes for several reasons. 1: im stuck 2: Server is full of jedi. Thats bad. Stepping out of Cnet starport and wathing jedi duel all the time is not so much fun. Make them have to live in hiding again please.

I would also lift the 20k limit on the bazaar. Makes hard to actually use it.

And maybe a new way of reporting bugs - letting us know of issues. A "known issues" thread? One that is constantly being updated by the devs with a pretty simple list of problems -all in one place.

Can we please have some more info about the wipe? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
Doesn't matter what i think, poll results are pretty clear.
Yes Vlada but I respect your dedication to this project and especially to the community. Would love to hear your two cents on this, no matter what the polls say.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: