SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Bi-Weekly Updates

Notices

Bi-Weekly Updates Bi-Weekly Updates are SWGEmu's cornerstone updates, posted every two weeks.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2009, 12:26 PM

Location: In your browser, eating your cookies. (Dundee, Scotland, UK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentkaa View Post
Clarifying Client Development versus Client Modification

First, all objects and some functions/commands are based on the code in your client. The client is an executable file that accesses data files. What you see in game, such as the appearance of a bolma, exists in your client’s data files on your computer there at home.
Yup

Quote:
SOE used a different data file type in Pre-CU than it did for data files that contain CU and NGE information. We have unraveled the Pre-CU data file type so that we can read and access it but are still working to unravel the data file type for CU and NGE.
Need more explanation on this.
It's confusing what you are trying to point out. If its about the compression (aka the .tre file) was changed in CU/NGE then its because they ripped out the TOC file and kept it separate to increase loading speeds (So not trying to unravel it)

But just want to confirm what you mean by Data File Type because it could mean a lot or a little.

Quote:
SWGEmu views modding the client as adding objects, code or functionality to the client in such a way as to change its purpose or give a player a distinct advantage over another.
There is almost no modding which causes this (At least I have seen no one with it). Most mods used are only visual to the user and I suppose the only one who has such mods is me which allows different appearances but it does not give any advantage only a new unique look.

Quote:
This means altering the files to remove content or send false information to the server. An example of a client mod is a speed hack. This includes:
  • Modifying Models that SOE has made 1.
  • Fix bugs in the client 2.
  • Increase resolution of the client 3.
  • Allow atmospheric flight 4.
  • Allow the client to work in 3 dimensions on the ground. 5.
  • Changing or replacing the artwork or items already within the client with player customized artwork. 6.
Separated these out due to the wording of the section above, I'm picky on words that are used.

Reading it your basically saying the list above is "hacks" or illegal modifying of the client.

Listing it as 1. 2. etc.

1. Modifying models can have no affect what so ever in game, modifying something such as collision can.

2. Fixing bugs in the client. Yeah ok, erm good luck to whoever achieves this.

3. Eh? SWGEmuSupport.exe does that, what is list actually trying to say.

4. Possible, Laggy Yes, Need Client Modification? NO! If anyone wants to argue about it then I will happily (I seen it done lets just say that)

5. Ok thats not possible. (Guy's do not bother mentioning about /jump)

6. Nothing wrong with that.

Again I'm a bit confused what the list is for, initially reading it, its a list of "bad" things which we are not allowed to do but some of it is good/fine/harmless. Yeah would like it expanded.

Quote:
Developing the client is defined as researching the code to locate and utilize already existing objects, components and functionality in the existing data files to create new content. This means learning to read unknown data files types and accessing their content. For example, the Mustafar bunker is available in the data files as a CU file type. The Client Development Team researches how to unravel the code around it to make it accessible and usable by players in the future. This includes:
  • Add planets using unused maps and populated with unused models from the client.
  • Introduce unused player races contained in the client.
Ok, I'm going to be mean.

DavinFelth - Yeah he knows his stuff, he knows how to alter a terrain and a lot of other file types in the game. Does documentation and everything.

Me (When I was on the team) - Did break down file types however I did not document it (A few I did however lost them in a wipe) but I'm very good at doing something then being able to repeat it.

Valkyra - No Documentation, Is Waiting for the tool to be finished to be able to do Chandrila (Yeah its hard to make a terrain I admit that but still) but she has been doing work in coding (So shouldn't she be moved out of client developer team, which leaves 1 poor soul left)

Pre-CU <--> CU <--> NGE

Not too big changes, easy to work out.
Some are impossible to convert (Due to how the client handles it)
But I would say 85% is easy to convert and does not need any documentation (Documentation is to re-create files when needed for things which are not importable aka my pod racers)

Species: These are not "unused" there NPC species (Normally have less customization options depending on how they were made).

Unused Models: Yeah good luck finding these, there are probably less then 10 I would of thought. (There are files for models they were going to add but there not files which will be of any use)

Unused Terrain: A lot of them testing different things.

Quote:
Custom content can be added without modifying any SOE created files. This content would have to be in the same format as the client’s data file code and be in separate data file so as not alter the original files. Some examples of what we can do:
  • Add new playable races
  • Add community create planets
  • Add community created sounds
  • Add community created models
Content does not have to be in the same format as the client data file code I can guarantee that right now however if you want to add it in with a different data format you got to make sure you tweak the right headers in the file as well as making sure the general data is correct.

I think thats about it.

Client Upgrade (Screenshot Folder & Permanently Set your FPS)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: