SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivin2000 View Post
The big thing many people need to remember that TC, as it stands now, is in beta testing stage as far as content and game mechanics goes.

I've had the "pleasure" of beta testing several games, both free and to be paid for, and they've all had a large pool of paid staff members who were devoted to coding, customer service, advertising and even in game testing. SWGEmu does not have that. We have the pleasure of being able to play a game we loved, or a friend loved dearly and dragged us into, for free while they work out the kinks.

Yes, the project has been in the works for several years but, unlike the games pushed out by companies such as SOE, Blizzard, Mythic, EA, etc, this game has not had the devoted staffing that those companies have. I mean devoted in the, "this is my job I work on it 8 hours a day" way. Emu has been coded by many people working in thier spare time.

I mentioned all this to ask those who are ready to start jumping on the "you're not working fast enough," "I want and update," "You devs don't know what you're doing" band wagons to think back to how long before a game was released did they hear about it. I personally heard about the Star Trek Online game being in the works over five years ago and followed it through the various companies who worked on the project, the strikes, the scrapping of code, the loss of funding, change in direction, yadda, yadda, shmackity, shamckity. What happened with that game? It finally hit open Beta and there were a slew of complaints about how the game wasn't done and that they needed to fix this problem or that problem NOW. I experienced similar issues with CoH, DAoC, EQII, and even SWG. Concidering the changes in the Emu team's make up and the VOLENTEER nature of the labor, I'd say they've done a fine job of returning us to the game we loved.

The current code on TC is not being worked on anymore, as I understand it, in favor of the OR. I would loook at this as a minor set back in favor of the stabilization expected as well as the implementation of features such as housing, and the larger facilities.

Keep plugging away at it Devs. Toss us an update a little more often or maybe play with the main page abit but, keep it up. You're giving many of us back a part of our gaming youth we've missed.
you sir or madame or Fing awesome. hey guys at least two of us get it lol
Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurokIgnis View Post
Well... I think the community would be alot better off if we didn't feel as if we're bottle necked inside.

Yeah it's open-source, but who really wants to tamper with it and set a server up if it has a 1 hour time-limit or 20 player cap?

It honestly has felt that SWGEMU is just wanting to be as professional as possible, but pissing the players off in return because they could care less about that.

I for one, have supported the emulator from the day it was mentioned years ago. But when do we stand up and say? "Alright, charade's over... go home."

It's been well over 4 years now, at least. The game would make MORE progress with people who don't want to worry about the restrictions on the source.

Why are their restrictions anyways? From "party" servers? People want to play the game and host their own servers, not be forced into one without a subscription. Or are you guys worried that someone might take the code and claim the project as their own? Perhaps ANH? Or some other unheard community?

Honestly, we need to stop worrying about glory and respecting one another and just get this damn thing done already, or at least reliable source code that can probably test much, MUCH more than the "official" server could.

This is just my 2 cents, like it or don't. It's been many years now, I think we the community should get a bigger bone.
Im sure there are rules and regs that come along with using SOE's source and title. Also i feel like your forgetting the part where this whole thing is free. Opinions and criticism definitely help keep the ball rolling but dont forget that your not have to pay for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsch View Post
you sir or madame or Fing awesome. hey guys at least two of us get it lol
He put into more extensive words what a lot of us have been saying. Its beta, its free, contribute to the devs or the community, but keep your *****ing to yourself or GTFO
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM

I log in, the game gets better and better, I will continue to log in and enjoy the updates of the sweat of other people's brows... From testers to developers to the guys who complain and get things fixed. For my part I play the game and hope my time online on the EMU is time that others find my toon(s) to be helpful and entertaining so their time is enriched. Like 99% of the community I can't code, but I can follow a code of conduct; Be gracious and courteous in the forums and in the game and try to have a bit of fun.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratello View Post
I liked it up until the quoting of hubbard
same.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoten View Post
You're so bat s#!t crazy you may as well quote L Ron Hubbard if you think anything about this tortuous dev process has been genius.

I will have full on gray pubes by the time this emu is finished.

Years of donations - no finished product, only some bastardized version of swg-lite.

Cascade half decade fail.

I am actually very impressed with the progress these guys have made!!! It may not be quite the game was prior to SoE's NGE, but it is world's closer than SoE's SWG will ever be! I am having a blast playing on NOVA in its current state, and is so much more that any of us who truly miss the old game could have hoped for.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 AM

If you check this you can see that the emu team has done a shed load of hard work so far this month so maybe people may think twice about saying how much effort the team is putting in http://trac2.assembla.com/swgemu/timeline

Imaep Sunstrider
Master rifleman/ Swordsman
former Euro-Infinity
former member of POE

I believe in keeping things simple....
Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 PM

good job devs keep the good work going just letting you know the date is not intirely correct 03/14/10 you mean 14/03/10 14th march 2010 and for the european players they have alot of problems keepng connected to the server if the server is not fast up then its bed time almost midnight here

Last edited by pluk; 04-19-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: forgot text
Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM

I don't think anyone here can dispute that the wheels of progress are turning, albeit to a lot of people they seem to be turning kinda slow. Still, progress is progress and I think it best that we all take the time to acknowledge and be thankful for that. I'd be a liar if I didn't say I wasn't at least a little frustrated, it has literally been years now and I was really hoping to get back to at the very least a finished SWG base game (JTL can come later). I started following the EMU project almost 6 years ago? Has it really been 6 years? I think my son was either 1 or 2 years old when I got an in-game communication from someone in the project to come check it out. The only reason I remember at all is because my son absolutely loved Galaxies and used to often perch himself on my knee to watch me play my Jedi and Bounty Hunter toons.

So yeah, if I'm a teeny tiny bit impatient from time to time, I think as long as I can at least acknowledge the fact that they are working on it, progress is being made, and that they deserve some respect for their dedication, then yeah I can probably get away with a "whimper" or "whine" now and again I mean let's be real here, I'm 37 years old, I ain't getting any younger, and most of us older Star Wars fans (guys and gals) were waiting for a Star Wars game like the pre-CU most of our lives, so yeah we want it back NOW! lol.

Truth be told, once I originally found out there was going to be an emulator, I immediately set plans into motion to obtain a suitable server and home for that server at a local data center. Thankfully, I managed to stop myself from being too spontaneous and too overly ambitious and didn't drop the money on a box and hosting right away, not everyone however managed to stop themselves. Instead I took up my reading glasses, yes, I do have reading glasses, and I started studying C++ and doing the little homework projects in books and online courses. Even now, the code can and does sometimes overwhelm me, but at least now I know and can understand what I'm looking at, even if I don't always know associations or what certain functions that are being called do. (That's the beauty of grep or find.)

So why did I want to run my own server? Control. Yes, that's right, control. Nothing pissed me off more than how SOE let so much bull**** slide in their live servers. Offensive names, even worse offensive behavior, cheating, duping, hacking and exploiting. SOE had such a terrible turn around on tickets and complaints that by the time someone actually got caught duping, they had already badly damaged the economy and caused a major shift in inflation, it was RIDICULOUS. I wanted to relive the experience I had as a player in a roleplayer's community as well, names were decent, people stayed in character, homes were decorated and cities teemed with interaction, it was much like "the Sims" only it was in a kick ass world with a kick ass IP attached, instead of some craptastic reality based suburb.

For me at least, SWG Pre-CU was the first MMO I actually enjoyed enough to invest my time and patience into, as time progresses I find myself more and more unwilling to even try a newer MMO when it comes out, fact is SWG Pre-CU was home for me as a gamer and nothing that has come out since has been worthy of a second mention, not even World of Borecraft. I just hope that the EMU project finishes up soon, we've been waiting a long time for this project and if your older like I am, you know the clock is ticking. :P
Old 04-21-2010, 08:56 AM

Location: Las Vegas, NV or HELLHOLE USA as i call it. Originally from Washington state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurokIgnis View Post
Well... I think the community would be alot better off if we didn't feel as if we're bottle necked inside.

Yeah it's open-source, but who really wants to tamper with it and set a server up if it has a 1 hour time-limit or 20 player cap?

It honestly has felt that SWGEMU is just wanting to be as professional as possible, but pissing the players off in return because they could care less about that.

I for one, have supported the emulator from the day it was mentioned years ago. But when do we stand up and say? "Alright, charade's over... go home."

It's been well over 4 years now, at least. The game would make MORE progress with people who don't want to worry about the restrictions on the source.

Why are their restrictions anyways? From "party" servers? People want to play the game and host their own servers, not be forced into one without a subscription. Or are you guys worried that someone might take the code and claim the project as their own? Perhaps ANH? Or some other unheard community?

Honestly, we need to stop worrying about glory and respecting one another and just get this damn thing done already, or at least reliable source code that can probably test much, MUCH more than the "official" server could.

This is just my 2 cents, like it or don't. It's been many years now, I think we the community should get a bigger bone.
You kno, i've been waiting for 4 years also and guess what? I don't mind getting the project done right if i have to wait ANOTHER 4 years.

I can see if this were an actual Gaming company dedicating their full staff, and spending 8 hours a day 5 days a week at it but it's not. It is 10 people, dude! & doing this on their non-working hours! omg Chillax. What do YOU do when you get home from work or school? Sit and play? What if you had to code 1000s of lines of code with your spouse ragging on you to spend time with them and the kids?

If you don't like the idea of waiting like a good little boy, then leave. If you're paranoid they will take off with the game, well, it is rightfully theirs as they've been the ones putting in the hours. No I see a product in test just like every other game, only this one isn't sponsored by a big fat paycheck and structured hours. Nor is it very supported by us, the community!

If you can't stand waiting for emu 1.0 to launch, then go to another game, or start helping them code, or report bugs, or just leave... there will certainly be no loss if you did go to a galaxy far far away.

I don't see these fellas pissing anyone off, I see spoiled brats who want their toy! No please gain some decorum before all of you reprobate minds drive them to abandon this project due to your hemming and hawing all the time. If they do updates every week, they get yelled at for doing them too much, if they do the updates once a month they get yelled at for doing them too seldom, my god people grow up, get a hobby, or at the very least suck your thumb and call mommy!

Now, I apologize for being a mean old granny however some of you need a good spanking with a dolovite iron spoon!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:08 AM

Location: Las Vegas, NV or HELLHOLE USA as i call it. Originally from Washington state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudhussey View Post
....Like 99% of the community I can't code, but I can follow a code of conduct; Be gracious and courteous in the forums and in the game and try to have a bit of fun.
Excellent way of putting it! Kudos I couldn't agree with you more. Tomorrow my paypal monies come from my bank transfer and I be donating what I can, without question or complaint!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:41 PM

I really wish the original emu test center was up just for comparison. Some of you remember.

No Combat
No Guilds
No Shuttles
No Working NPC's
No Classes
etc etc etc

If it where some of these "johnny come lately" who want to ***** and moan about slow progress would see the major strides that have been in the code. And Basically what you have to realize is that the OR makes up about 75% of the total work thats been done since that time. So its gonna take a little while. But once its completed progress can speed up a little.

I really dont think many of them truely understand what the OR is or even why its needed. However just look at it this way. Once its out the EMU is about 50% closer to being completed. After that its just a boat load of testing and working on implimenting the ""FEW"" remaining missing features. And bug fixing. OR + 1 year is my guestimate.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalitz View Post
I really wish the original emu test center was up just for comparison. Some of you remember.

No Combat
No Guilds
No Shuttles
No Working NPC's
No Classes
etc etc etc

If it where some of these "johnny come lately" who want to ***** and moan about slow progress would see the major strides that have been in the code. And Basically what you have to realize is that the OR makes up about 75% of the total work thats been done since that time. So its gonna take a little while. But once its completed progress can speed up a little.

I really dont think many of them truely understand what the OR is or even why its needed. However just look at it this way. Once its out the EMU is about 50% closer to being completed. After that its just a boat load of testing and working on implimenting the ""FEW"" remaining missing features. And bug fixing. OR + 1 year is my guestimate.
Indeed, patience is a virtue, as the post in my signature just said.

SHAMELESS SELF ADVERTISING IS WHAT MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND'!

Dear humanity, we regret being alien bastards, we regret coming to earth. And we most definitely regret that the corps just blew up our LAZY ASS FLEET
~Sargent Johnson
Old 04-21-2010, 05:24 PM

I beta tested the original..this seems much further along and in some ways further along than at release. Thanks for all the hard work and long hours!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold47525 View Post
Yes? Oh, I guess it's not a call to my address.

Well, you got a point there. But on the other side, anyone can anytime inform himself about the progress of the project at the devs site at
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/dashboard/index/swgemu

I personally prefer them rather to work on the emu than to release empty phrases on a weekly or bi-weekly base.

But nevertheless, being frustrated and unhappy isn't an excuse for the lack of manners.
I just checked out one of these assembla posts and it was just insane. I think we are extremely lucky to have a group of people who are intelligent enough to understand this stuff but who are also willing to do it in their free time simply for us to be able enjoy the final product. They could just as easily be off making good money with their talent and saying goodbye to all the idiot haters on these forums.
Thanks so much you guys for doing this for us.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raithe View Post
I just hope that the EMU project finishes up soon, we've been waiting a long time for this project and if your older like I am, you know the clock is ticking. :P
LOL I got ya beat bro, as I'm 43 years young Anyway I don't think we are going to die off just yet (at least I hope we don't). I'm sure we aren't too far off from the initial release. In the meantime we can continue to pass our time with paying the bills, watching our stomachs grow, etc... as long as I can play this game ad infinitum in the retirement home, I'm good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: