SWGEmu Old Forums Archive  

Go Back   SWGEmu Old Forums Archive > Announcements > Community News > Community News Archives

Notices

Community News Archives Archives of the CSA forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:24 PM
SWGEmu Moderator
ManagerCommunity TeamDeveloperAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'Kar View Post
Thanks for explaining how it works. Wasen't aware their able to log it and fix the problem. So is it safe to say that after each deadlock, server performance should improve? Cause I gotta say, when the server came up today after last nights deadlock, I had the smoothest gameplay yet. Something musta got fixed.

Keep up the excellent work.
Look at it this way, after every deadlock one or more nasty bugs get fixed. (more or less)

SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project
SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlada View Post
I never said you weren't testing, i was simply trying to calm you down and explain that we are all experiencing the same thing, the server is deadlocked for all of us, and we all want and have things to do in game.

But what we do now, and depending on how well we do it, will determent how fast the game will go live and mark the end of all deadlocks, server crashes, wipes etc. Well most of them.
lol, I'm calm, just bored and honestly, I have to ask, why should we go into IRC to find out about the status of the server? Would it not be better for the Devs to change the Status uopn login to Deadlocked or Offline, so that we know there is a problem? since the server cap, we honestly don't know if it's deadlocked or we're waiting in queue. Just curious, not complaining.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 PM
SWGEmu Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union View Post
lol, I'm calm, just bored and honestly, I have to ask, why should we go into IRC to find out about the status of the server? Would it not be better for the Devs to change the Status uopn login to Deadlocked or Offline, so that we know there is a problem? since the server cap, we honestly don't know if it's deadlocked or we're waiting in queue. Just curious, not complaining.
I think their time would be better spent on fixing what actually causes deadlocks, than trying to find new ways of keeping everyone up to date with server status when the correct status is actually already provided on IRC.

It only takes a few clicks to get to #status or #test channel, i just don't see the point.

SWGEmu OR Project Status List... New Community Member FAQ... Bug Tracker... How to install SWGEmu...
Old 10-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Retired Game Master

Quote:
That would require more time for the devs to implement at this stage in development. As this is a volunteer team, picking and choosing priorities for development is important. The staff ask that the players take the time to check status of the server in IRC #status room right now.

Game MasterFONT=Arial]

[/FONT] SWGEmu is a non-profit, open source community project.

[19:31] <+stevedeath> I am currently being held hostage by an invisible force. He wants one million in US currency, and a plane to Havana. He calls himself: The Box.
<serpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa><s erpentkaa><serpentkaa><serpentkaa> </serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa></serpentkaa>
Old 10-22-2009, 04:40 PM

I see your point. Thanks. And I agree fixing the bugs should be priority 1.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentkaa View Post
That would require more time for the devs to implement at this stage in development. As this is a volunteer team, picking and choosing priorities for development is important. The staff ask that the players take the time to check status of the server in IRC #status room right now.
I'm having problems registering with IRC. So it's helpful when people post whats happening here.

When trying to register for IRC, I get this message when I start it up: Erroneous Nickname: Illegal characters

Is this because my name has a ' in it?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 PM
SWGEmu Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'Kar View Post
I'm having problems registering with IRC. So it's helpful when people post whats happening here.

When trying to register for IRC, I get this message when I start it up: Erroneous Nickname: Illegal characters

Is this because my name has a ' in it?
Here is a guide: http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15460

And if there is nothing there bout your ' problem, just don't use it.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:19 PM

Hooray another wipe

Honestly it feels better without ppl talkin about Ancient Krayt Dragon Pearls.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I'll bet the devs wish they were bored sometimes. They aren't a 24/7 IT Help Hotline after all; they're human just like us, except that instead of waiting for a server to go back online, they have actually go in and fix it (when they can manage to find the time to).

I doubt they exactly get out of bed and say, "Ooh, I hope the server is deadlocked again, I want to spend my whole day debugging!"

I guess you could say it's the difference between paid help and volunteers; paid help is often part of a company and a company needs to keep up an appearance of the utmost efficiency and service. Volunteers, however, are...well, volunteers and are free to give service as they choose.

I remember another forum I went to for a while that had "skin requests" for a certain type of forum and also "graphic requests" (mostly signatures and avatars). I cannot possibly count the amount of times people complained in some way because the requests were not being filled "quickly enough." You don't quite realize how ridiculous it is until you're the one behind the counter.

/end dispassionate pondering
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
I'll bet the devs wish they were bored sometimes. They aren't a 24/7 IT Help Hotline after all; they're human just like us, except that instead of waiting for a server to go back online, they have actually go in and fix it (when they can manage to find the time to).

I doubt they exactly get out of bed and say, "Ooh, I hope the server is deadlocked again, I want to spend my whole day debugging!"

I guess you could say it's the difference between paid help and volunteers; paid help is often part of a company and a company needs to keep up an appearance of the utmost efficiency and service. Volunteers, however, are...well, volunteers and are free to give service as they choose.

I remember another forum I went to for a while that had "skin requests" for a certain type of forum and also "graphic requests" (mostly signatures and avatars). I cannot possibly count the amount of times people complained in some way because the requests were not being filled "quickly enough." You don't quite realize how ridiculous it is until you're the one behind the counter.

/end dispassionate pondering
I know they're busy and they have lives outside of SWG, as I hope all of us do. I don't know much about coding or what it takes to change a server status, but I would *think* (yes, dangerous, I know) it would take just as much time to change the server status as it would to update IRC or post on the forums about the current issue.

As I said before, I'm not really complaining, just curious. But I think a couple people have explained it's easier to go to IRC than it is to change server status, and I'm good with that explanation.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I know they're busy and they have lives outside of SWG, as I hope all of us do. I don't know much about coding or what it takes to change a server status, but I would *think* (yes, dangerous, I know) it would take just as much time to change the server status as it would to update IRC or post on the forums about the current issue.

As I said before, I'm not really complaining, just curious. But I think a couple people have explained it's easier to go to IRC than it is to change server status, and I'm good with that explanation.
Well...I realize you already said you were satisfied with the explanation (), but...as far as I know, they have IRC Moderators online very frequently and, if I'm not mistaken, there are usually a couple GMs/Devs who are logged into IRC frequently, even if they aren't "active" - thus, it would be easier to simply minimize any windows they have up and change the IRC server status, also keeping clutter out of the forums, since people will make most of their comments about the status within IRC if they're all directed to it.

If that makes any sense. I love it when my sentences start twisting in on themselves. It's like an epic flood of pronouns, adverbs, and prepositions...well, something like that anyway.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 PM

Actually, I believe that the server status channel in IRC displays the status automatically, without any input from the devs. So right now their current method of informing us of the status requires NO effort from the busy developers, while their updating a status message somewhere would require SOME.

As my little disclaimer, I'm not attacking your comments, just trying to help in what little way I can.

Just my thoughts,
Poocho
Old 10-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Haha, it's all good guys ;-)
Old 10-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Thumbs down Deadlocked

I have been having problems logging in for the past few days.. Server status is always at DEADLOCKED so can never log in.. I have waited hours to log in and have had no luck.. I know its cause there are so many logged in right now. The thing is many of them are by people who have more then one toon in the game at a time. Sure this was something we did in a real server but come on people let others play and stop afking your alt that by policy you should not even have.:
Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 PM

As far as I know, a deadlocked status is in no direct way connected with the number of users. The server cap is of course, but the status will still appear as ONLINE if the reason you can't get in is because of the server cap.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: